Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Stargate Command site moving from TopFan to EPAM? Plus stolen fan works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Stargate Command site moving from TopFan to EPAM? Plus stolen fan works.

I found some stolen artwork of mine through Google and stumbled upon this site in progress:
    [link removed voluntarily]

It looks like they have other fans' artwork and photographs from past cons too. All without credit and probably also without permission. They even cut off my signature on one of them.

This all violates their own terms of service: "No third-party materials. Your User Content should not contain any visible logos, phrases or trademarks or other third-party materials. Do not use any User Content that belongs to other people without their permission – this means you absolutely may not include any content owned or created by someone else, including, without limitation, no uploading or copying of content you found elsewhere on the Internet without proper permission."

I have reported this to MGM.

PS: The new site also contains misgendering and character disrespect violating the canon source hierarchy-- mostly the same stuff copied over from the current site. Same stuff, different website and wrapper and a new coin/point/rank system. The site has posts dated 2017 but a flurry of recent 2019 activity.
    Last edited by WraithTech; 22 April 2019, 03:52 PM. Reason: removing link voluntarily

Sounds about par for the course for Stargate Command.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Looks like an extremely well done copy of the original. I clicked All-access to test where that would lead me, and that menu item is linked to google.com.

The store item leads to the homepage of command. It has links to all the free-for-all episodes but nothing else. So whomever is behind it, has probably copied to the code and created their own version without the paying bit, and stealing the artwork.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Whatever it is, it lacks Platschu's uploaded fan content, which is one of the rare things the Topfan site has going for it.

I am disappointed at the moment because Joe tweeted he just sent SGC "several thousand hours of unseen behind the scenes footage from #Stargate #SG1, #Atlantis, and #Universe." He mistakenly thinks all the fans are going to get to see the "goldmine." I won't hold my breath that it won't all be geoblocked.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
          Whatever it is, it lacks Platschu's uploaded fan content, which is one of the rare things the Topfan site has going for it.

I am disappointed at the moment because Joe tweeted he just sent SGC "several thousand hours of unseen behind the scenes footage from #Stargate #SG1, #Atlantis, and #Universe." He mistakenly thinks all the fans are going to get to see the "goldmine." I won't hold my breath that it won't all be geoblocked.
          I was so excited to see that, especially since Joe worked himself back into my good graces after some turbulent SGA years.

And then I saw MGM/Stargate Command mentioned and I just felt so disappointed. I don't blame him for, I don't know, not knowing but plenty people (including myself) made a mention, and it was to me that Jenny replied. I know she has the best of intentions -- she's a good egg -- but promises can only go so far and without having anything to show for the promises made in the past, I say that it's less than likely that "all fans" will eventually get to enjoy this treasure trove.

And I'm not saying I want it for free, I am more than willing to pay a fee to get access, just it's the getting access part that is apparently undoable.

As to the mirror site, I really think it's a fan-copy and not an actual MGM website.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I was so excited to see that, especially since Joe worked himself back into my good graces after some turbulent SGA years.
            When he posted the "Extinction" script snippets, I got all nostalgic and even dusted off my account here. Then, this strange site appeared and then there were said to be some "exceptions" to all of Joe's footage being shared and my nostalgia bubble was popped very quickly.

I don't blame him for, I don't know, not knowing
            Yes and thankfully a bunch of fans are saying something to him about it. I've seen a number of people here speak out at questionable comments at Chewbacca, but usually only see tumbleweeds for standing up for anything Stargate, either for the characters or the fandom.

As to the mirror site, I really think it's a fan-copy and not an actual MGM website.
            If so, then that site might be a phishing site in progress and needs to be shut down ASAP, because their site link has "mgm" in it and they are presenting themselves and impersonating as MGM and not a mere fan site.

Also: whoever they are, it is unprofessional to A) take random photos from Google and B) program an incomplete website in a unclosed test environment for all the world to see, rather than to use private settings and generate link keys for select viewers before the site is done.
            Last edited by WraithTech; 22 April 2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I received a response back from MGM that fanworks do need to have permission to be posted. I deleted the link and will let them take care of it. It isn't phishing, so I breath a sigh of relief.

Comment

This is a production dev for the next iteration of the platform, and as such is of course very incomplete.

It's not usual for developers to grab images and copy for temporary placeholder purposes ... but of course this should all be behind a login wall (or at least set to not be indexed by search engines).

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                  This is a production dev for the next iteration of the platform, and as such is of course very incomplete.
                  I will sleep easier tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                    As with every development concerning Command, I see they are struggling with the basics of development. First you test, then you let loose on the public. I always have the panicked faces of colleagues swimming to the front when someone comes and tells us they accidently dropped something on the production server that wasn't ready yet... ... occasionally hilarious to watch them scramble to fix it, but usually not fun at all.

However, good to know it's nothing phishy.

Comment

Personally, I liked the looks of the new layout. Looks a lot friendlier than the current platform so I'm happy to see them working on something different. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's finished.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

MGM did delete the art yesterday. They said the site is supposed to be private but the protection went down over the weekend. Google bots don’t take time off and of course it is only a matter of time before a fan is going to find it on Google.

Because they said it was meant to be private, that is why I deleted the link above and some of the posts such as wondering who the leaderboard was (probably programmers and/or testers) and also messaged the mods so they would know what was going on.

Comment

Someone frelled up...

Someone's gonna get yelled at.

I took a look at the EPAM guys, and from what I can gather TopFan has nothing on them. TF can only dream of what EPAM does, and probably doesn't even play in the same sandbox. If EPAM's what-we-do page is anything to go by than Command might finally function without glitches (and who knows even on an actual global scale).
                          Last edited by Falcon Horus; 24 April 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I think you are right.

Looks like the show is over. The site is private now and traces of it on Google are dwindling.

Comment

Working...
                            X