Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Pike series starring Anson Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Pike series starring Anson Mount?

You might've heard that there's a change.org petition (yeah yeah, I know) out there asking for a Star Trek series featuring Anson Mount's Captain Pike in command of the Enterprise, alongside Ethan Peck's Spock and presumably Rebecca Romijn's Number One, I gather it scored something like 16,000 signatures in two days.

Anyways, here's a news piece on Mount's reaction:

Anson Mount Open To Pike Show, But Returning To Star Trek Would Require “Creative Conversations”

Earlier this week we reported how Anson Mount expressed his gratitude for the support he has been getting from fans, and how he was humbled by a popular petition asking for a Captain Pike spin-off on CBS All Access. Those comments on social media were made while Mount was attending Great Philadelphia Comic Con last weekend. It turns out during the panel, Mount spoke more directly about the idea of a Pike series.

Thanks to a video report of Mount’s GPCC panel from Fandom Spotlite (which you can see in full below) we can hear more from the actor about his time playing Pike on Star Trek: Discovery. The actor confirmed that he just had a one-year contract and has no plans to rejoin the cast for the upcoming third season.

However, when asked if he felt there was more of Pike’s story to tell after the second season finale, Mount affirmed he thought there was, saying:
    Sure…There is plenty to flesh out, I think with a lot of these characters. In terms of the timeline, I think there is plenty of time as well. I know what you are getting at [laughs]
    When asked pointedly if he would consider returning to the role, Mount said:
    It would involve a lot of creative conversations.
    When another fan brought up the idea of doing a series set on the Enterprise with Pike, Spock and Number One, Mount again kept the door wide open:
    I’d love to see that too. But doing it [laughs]. It’s not an easy show to shoot. This season we shot for eight months, for fourteen episodes. That is a snail’s pace. That is long. But, I don’t know anything that you don’t.
    While there is no indication that CBS is seriously considering creating a new ongoing or limited series set on Pike’s Enterprise, they did create new sets for the ship including an elaborate bridge set, which so far have only been used for the two-part finale. And if CBS were interested, Mount’s comments indicate that time away from home to shoot a series would be a factor in his decision-making.

A central theme of the second season of Discovery was science versus faith. The character of Pike has shown a lot of understanding about faith, but Pike’s specific beliefs have not been detailed. When asked by a fan about his take on Pike’s beliefs, the actor discussed how they may align with his own:
    There are things I know about a character and there are things that I suspect. So, I am as much an authority as you or anyone else. But, I suspect – Pike’s from Mojave, he is a horse guy, I think he had good parents – yeah, I think he grew up going to church. But, I do not know what denomination. I am Episcopalian and I have a feeling his relationship with religion and faith is a deeply personal one. I think he is the farthest thing from an evangelical there is. I think he is like me in the sense that the more I learn about science and the sheer vastness of the universe and quantum physics, the more faithful I become. The more faith that I have that this didn’t just happen, and we are seeing a very thin sliver of what actually is.
    Another interesting moment during the panel is when Anson Mount talked about the pivotal scene in the episode “Through the Valley of Shadows” when Pike sees a vision of his future. The actor revealed how through his input, something extra was added:
    The way that flashforward was scripted originally was just from young Pike’s point of view and I immediately felt this is not right, because there should be a point of view from future Pike as well. We should see what he is getting out of this. And so I asked [director] Doug Aarniokoski to go watch the final scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey. And so that that camera language is quite heavily borrowed from that.
    The first part of the season two finale of Discovery showed Pike relinquishing command of the USS Discovery and making Commander Saru the acting captain again. This leaves open the question as to who will be the official captain of the Discovery in the third season. When asked if he knew who would be taking the big chair, Mount said he thinks it remains an open question:
    I have absolutely no idea. And if it is any consolation, I don’t think the writers know yet either.
    The full video of Mount’s panel from Philadelphia Comic Con was posted by Fandom Spotlite. The actor talks about his Star Trek fandom, favorite episodes, themes of the show, visiting The Original Series Set Tour, how he prepared to play Pike and more.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

And FWIW, I would watch the hell out of a show about Pike's Enterprise. I think Anson Mount has been phenomenal in the role and I would be so, so, so excited to see his Enterprise adventures alongside Spock and Number One.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Same. Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romajin along side him as well would be awesome. I can imagine it would take on a really interesting side of Pike too. Since he knows what his future holds he might be more willing to live in the moment and be a bit more reckless than he otherwise would be with Number One needing to reign him in and Spock learning to appreciate that side of Pike which may help explain his friendship with Kirk. Would love to see some of the other characters from the Cage too.

But in that event what a beautiful opportunity to explore Roddenberry’s original vision. After all TOS was still his show but he had to make a lot of compromises to get it there. I’d like to think that it would be back to an old fashioned Where no one has gone before adventure.

Not sure what you’d call it though... Star Trek: Pioneer maybe? Kinda fits both with Pike and the idea that this is as the show was originally envisaged.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

From that new THR interview with Alex Kurtzman....
        The fans have been heard. Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One, and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us.

Comment

I'd watch the hell out of a Pike show.

Even if it only lasted for one season.

Or maybe a series of TV movies would be the way to go?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Ok I've been putting a lot of thought in this and I know where I'd start it and I know where I'd end it regardless of whether it be a full multi-season series or just a mini-series.

Have it all start just as Pike get promoted to Fleet Captain, but still in command of the Enterprise, maybe with him in command of a task force or something for a particular mission. Either way he gets the promotion and he puts on the new uniform and rank insignia and he realises it was the same uniform he was wearing when he had his vision of the future and saw his accident. This causes him a crisis of confidence and he starts second guessing himself. Not by much, but he's hesitating a little more when he makes decisions and that catches the notice of Number One and Spock.

Number One and Spock coral him into telling them what's up and he admits that he knows that if he's wearing the Fleet Captain uniform that it is just a matter of time before his accident. Spock points out they know time can be changed but Pike feels sure that it is going to happen. He just has a sense that it is unavoidable. Number One suggests that if he has lost his edge then he should quit, but they both say they will still serve with him no matter what.

As the show goes on Pike continues to struggle with his judgement. But effectively stays true to who he is and his duty. Likely to keep him from quitting a situation arrises early in the story where he is the only officer with the experience necessary to get the job done. So of course he goes a long. Rather oddly the knowledge of his death makes him more reckless in some ways too. Because he knows the accident occurs on a ship he's not afraid of going down on away missions and putting himself at risk in that regard, which bothers Number One to no end.

As the show progresses Pike learns to live with the knowledge that he is going to have this accident and what that is going to mean. He can have a lot of indirect parallels to people with degenerative illnesses who know that they only have a finite amount of time before they become disabled.

Meanwhile Number One and Spock have their own storylines. Spock's is much the same as it always has been throughout the franchise. But there's an added aspect that Pike gives Spock opportunities to grow his experience as an officer. Giving him command experience and see how he grows from a Lieutenant to the Commander in TOS.
            Number One I've not quite figured out yet. Her character needs to be expanded a bit. But I kind of like the idea that she is so controlled because of some previous trauma that she needs to learn to sometimes just let go and let things happen. Perhaps via meddling with Pike.

In the end the show culminates in a three to four part story effectively made up of two separate finales. The first finale is about Pike moving on from the Enterprise. He realises that whatever the future holds he is unafraid of the choices he makes. Number One likewise gets promoted and gets her own ship maybe in an episode earlier and Spock gets promoted to First Officer to Pike. Pike is still worried about both Spock and the Enterprise though and in the finale we meet Kirk as a young commander, before he becomes Captain. Pike only meets him briefly but Spock works with him on a problem and the two realise they have a good working relationship. Through Kirk and Spock's actions, Kirk gets promoted to Captain and is given the Enterprise as his first command. Spock promising Pike that the ship is in good hands and reiterating to his old Captain that no matter what happens to him Spock will be there if he is needed. Cue heart warming departure.

Then comes the true finale.
            A complete re-telling and imagining of the Menagerie two parter. The story is the same. Pike has his accident- The Enterprise diverts to the starbase and Spock tries to take him to Talos. It is all re-filmed with the modern actors and sets and modernised so that for example Pike can communicate with more than just beeps for yes and no. But he still struggles to communicate, the reason being that the accident happened so recently that he has not had a chance to learn or get used to the speech software he uses to speak and so on. The events otherwise happen just the same, with Spock's trial and taking Pike to Talos in the end to reunite with Vina and so on. Additionally the scenes used in the trial of the Cage would also be re-filmed and updated. So you get both a re-imagined cage and Menagerie. With a best of both worlds of both seeing the start of Trek in all its glory AND an updated TOS with Kirk, Bones and probably the rest of the crew scattered about too.

Comment

Ok, this is how I've kind of planned out the final minutes of the final episode in my head. Feel free to disagree, or to add your own touches.

It's the day of the Change of Command ceremony, Capt. Pike is in his now empty quarters aboard the Enterprise, wearing his dress uniform. A good luck letter addressed to Capt. James T. Kirk lies on the desk.

The door signal chimes, it's former CMO of the Enterprise recently retired Dr. Phillip Boyce, come to wish his old friend well. The two share a drink, reminisce, and toast absent friends.

Pike asks Boyce if he thinks he's doing the right thing, accepting the promotion to Fleet Captain, when there's still so much he feels he can contribute as Captain of the Enterprise.

Boyce mentions a couple of recent close calls where they got away by the skin of their teeth, says it's time for Pike to hang up his guns, but that there's still plenty of good he can do teaching the next generation of Starfleet Academy cadets.

The two make their way to the hangar deck. Mr. Spock (newly promoted to Lt. Commander) and Number One are there, as are as many of the crew as can be squeezed into the area. Various Starfleet and Federation dignitaries, including Capt. James T. Kirk who's accompanied by Lt. Commander Gary Mitchell and Dr. Mark Piper. A couple of newsmen are also in attendance.

Presiding over the ceremony is Admiral Nogura.

The Admiral calls the assemblage to order, makes introductions, Pike and Kirk shake hands and smile for the press. Answer one or two questions.

Now comes the serious bit.

Admiral Nogura calls the ship's company to attention.

Pike reads his new orders and formally relinquishes his post.
              Kirk reads his orders and formally takes command.

Kirk: "I relieve you, sir."
              Pike: "I stand relieved, sir."

Fade to black, theme music, credits, THE END.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                Ok, this is how I've kind of planned out the final minutes of the final episode in my head. Feel free to disagree, or to add your own touches.

It's the day of the Change of Command ceremony, Capt. Pike is in his now empty quarters aboard the Enterprise, wearing his dress uniform. A good luck letter addressed to Capt. James T. Kirk lies on the desk.

The door signal chimes, it's former CMO of the Enterprise recently retired Dr. Phillip Boyce, come to wish his old friend well. The two share a drink, reminisce, and toast absent friends.

Pike asks Boyce if he thinks he's doing the right thing, accepting the promotion to Fleet Captain, when there's still so much he feels he can contribute as Captain of the Enterprise.

Boyce mentions a couple of recent close calls where they got away by the skin of their teeth, says it's time for Pike to hang up his guns, but that there's still plenty of good he can do teaching the next generation of Starfleet Academy cadets.

The two make their way to the hangar deck. Mr. Spock (newly promoted to Lt. Commander) and Number One are there, as are as many of the crew as can be squeezed into the area. Various Starfleet and Federation dignitaries, including Capt. James T. Kirk who's accompanied by Lt. Commander Gary Mitchell and Dr. Mark Piper. A couple of newsmen are also in attendance.

Presiding over the ceremony is Admiral Nogura.

The Admiral calls the assemblage to order, makes introductions, Pike and Kirk shake hands and smile for the press. Answer one or two questions.

Now comes the serious bit.

Admiral Nogura calls the ship's company to attention.

Pike reads his new orders and formally relinquishes his post.
                Kirk reads his orders and formally takes command.

Kirk: "I relieve you, sir."
                Pike: "I stand relieved, sir."

Fade to black, theme music, credits, THE END.
                That would work quite well. Though I would have that and still have The Menagerie after.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pocket Books only published a couple of Pike-era novels didn't they?
                  sigpic

Comment

Just as a general FYI guys, you can read the entire 16 issue run of the Capt. Pike centred comic book "Star Trek: Early Voyages" online at https://readcomiconline.to/
                    sigpic

Comment

It's still pretty far cry from any kind of guarantee or confirmation, but Kurtzman & co. are aware of and thinking about if they could make it happen. Via CBR:

"I would be remiss to say we would see Spock on Discovery again," he says, "because we've obviously jumped so far into the future that it wouldn't make sense. But [in terms of] the idea of bringing Anson, Ethan, Rebecca and the Enterprise back... we loved it so much. To find a way to do that is something that we're thinking about a lot."

Fans lauded Mount and Peck's unique performances and characterizations in season two of Discovery. One Trekker even started an online petition for a Pike-led spinoff series that garnered over 28,000 signatures. When asked about the petition for The Hollywood Reporter after the Discovery finale, Kurtzman was over the moon about the feedback.

"The fans have been heard," he said. "One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us."
                      https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-discov...e-crew-return/

Comment

Working...
                      X