Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Not hard is boring. And I HATE BORING!" - Georgiou

I love this character officially.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Life is good. I have watched Avengers : Endgame, GoT 8x03 and now ST: D 2x14 within one day.

This episode was simply amazing. It deserves a few Emmy awards as the special effects are movie quality. The wormhole and the time travel effects! OMG.

This space battle was the best so far in tv history and it has faded away the crown of BSG. Discovery rules.

Still the best part was the shuttle fight in changing gravity. They were able to remake the famous corrifor fight scene from "Inception". I am pretty sure they have rotated the while shuttle set as you can follow the way of the debris around the actors. This very complicated scene was so great that I had to applause like a child.
      I think I will probably hear by name April 2019 as “The Month of the Three Battles”.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

And they were all special and extraordinary.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for the Star Trek universe as now they have got free hands to introduce whatever they want. But maybe we should talk about this in the season 3 thread.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I finally watched Discovery Season 2. I found the early part of the season almost unbearable. But once "the search for Spock" ended, I felt myself getting more interested. Not that I particularly liked this version of Spock (though he wasn't bad), but the build up to his appearance was super annoying. However, I thought Pike was a good Captain. Much better than Lorca.

IDK what it is, but I hate the technobabble in Discovery. I'm not sure if there's too much, or something (but there are definitely too many sciencey characters on the show: Burnham, Saru, Stamets, Tilly, Spock) but it's something that doesn't usually bother me in Trek or sci-fi in general.

Aside from the typical prequel problems, I also feel like Discovery suffers from being caught in between the sensibilities of a modern tv drama and the old school tv sensibilities of classic Star Trek. It feels like it doesn't really know what it wants to be and kind of plays this middle ground and ends up not working in either respect.

Spoiler:
          Sending them 930 years in the future feels like it's way too far of a jump. Season 3 (and possibly beyond) are now basically Voyager but they're strangers in a strange time instead of a strange land. There's tremendous potential there, but I can't help but thinking they'd have been better off setting this in the 25th century to begin with.

It was a really stupid idea to try and fit a prequel series in so tight a window to TOS. And that's even if they didn't insert the lead character so deeply into the life of one of the most important characters in all of Star Trek. Better late than never that they realized that, but they could have just set it in the "present" in the first place and avoided the need for a total reset.

Oh, and explaining why Discovery, the Spore Drive, and Michael are never mentioned again by having Starfleet order them to never speak of it again was not good. People don't work like that. Like someone would mention them again. I would be totally fine with Spock telling Kirk or whoever about it all off screen at some point, but the idea that all those people would keep it under wraps, not to mention the Klingons… I'd rather there been no explanation than be told we never heard about it because there was a massive cover up that magically somehow worked. But that's what happens with prequels.

All that said. I do think the next season could be really interesting with this new premise. I'm curious as to how the Short Trek episode, Calypso, plays into this. The AI says the crew left 1,000 years ago and everything I've read says it takes place in the 33rd century, so there wouldn't be a thousand years for the crew to have left the ship.

I was surprised they brought Georgiou into the future with them given that she's supposed to be headlining a Section 31 series, but whatever I'm sure they'll find some way to get her back to the original time frame.

Something else I found interesting was some people theorizing that Discovery never took place in the Prime Universe. That the Red Angel telling young Spock where Michael was so she could be rescued created a divergent timeline where the events of Discovery take place. So then in the Prime Timeline, Spock's family did take in a human orphan named Michael Burnham, but she was killed while trying to run away. Given all the continuity issues, I'd almost rather they had gone with this as their way out of the box they'd put themselves in rather than moving to the far flung future.

Also, this show does a really bad job of developing the bridge crew, but then acts like they're main characters at random points. Like was I supposed to have an emotional attachment to Ariam? Whose name I definitely only know because I looked her up on memory alpha to see how her being in Starfleet jives with Data being the first and only Android in Starfleet.

One last thing re: Spock. I don't really remember anything about Star Trek V, or the circumstances of Sybok being Spock's brother or whatever, so maybe the answer to this is self evident, but like where is he in all this?

Perfecto!

Comment

I agree with alot of what you said Major Griff. I too have issues with all the technobabble and the lack of character development of the bridge crew. I barely knew their names and there was too much time spent focusing on Michael's character. I mean granted the story is told from her perspective, but that is a major departure from the Trek universe IMO. Well actually typically, it's told from the Captain's perspective, but I really enjoyed the teamwork we got from TNG and even TOS. There is a team on Disco but it just doesn't feel very "teamy". We got a few character episodes that focused on other characters, but mainly it seemed to circle back to Michael and how it impacted her or whatever.
            Spoiler:
            I have issue that she was the Red Angel and/or her mom and it had to come down to her and her mom saving the entire sentient race. That to me seems so unoriginal and sort of a cop out. I love it when the team has to really work together to solve problems and get out of the jam they are in. I mean they work together to get that suit together, but again it's all so that Michael can fly off and save the day.
            I'm with you also about the 1000 year jump. I kept saying during each episode, how are they going to never mention the spore drive or Spock's sister.....I mean I'm with you I'd rather see a mirrored universe or something like that. Finally, I loved Pike as captain and really enjoyed him and then Spock (once he cleaned up ...didn't like the beard). I was actually bummed at the end of the season when I realized I would not be seeing those characters each week. I grew to enjoy the Enterprise crew almost more than the Disco crew. I think again it was all about them not developing the Disco crew and/or it's always about Michael. I mean I like the character it's just I think they have devoted too much of the plot and screen time around her character IMO. Either way I will tune in when the new season begins. Any word on the new character played by David Ajala and how he will round out the crew? Let's hope he's not another science nerd and we can get some bad assery going on!! LOL

As for the science-y stuff...yes I mean I found myself running it back and listening over and over (Jelgate would say it's because I'm a stupid teacher and can't keep up) but I say it's because some of the stuff they talk about is just too much and it's not necessary to be that techno babbly!

One note on the CBS all Access user interface. Does anyone else hate it? It's almost unusable with vid glitches and I had to suffer through the three dots of "wait I'm streaming to catch up" that was ridiculous. I have Netflix and Prime and don't have half the issues with those services. Anyone else have those problems? Ok I'm done. LOL I really did like having some Trek to watch after I chewed through Picard. Which is another whole discussion elsewhere!! So don't get me wrong or try to convert me! I enjoyed the show, you all just stated the awesome things so much better than I could and I just had to chime in with the issues that I felt the show fell short on.
            Originally posted by jelgate
            This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Working...
            X