Star Trek: Prodigy (Nickelodeon) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Prodigy (Nickelodeon) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Alex Kurtzman has confirmed that the rumoured Nickelodeon kids' cartoon Trek (no title yet) is in the pipe, with no estimated airdate yet.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I can't find an official source yet, but according to this article at Den of Geek....

Kevin and Dan Hageman are the creators behind this new Star Trek animated series, the duo who have Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitsu and Trollhunters to their credit (and Trollhunters is really great), and who also did some work on Hotel Transylvania and The Lego Movie.

The new Star Trek original CG-animated series will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon and will feature "a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation," according to the official press release.

“‘Star Trek’s’ mission is to inspire generations of dreamers to build a brighter future,” said Alex Kurtzman, who is acting as an executive producer (one of many) on the project. “Dan and Kevin have crafted a story that honors its exploratory spirit in a way that’s never been done before, while the Nickelodeon team blew us away with their excitement at bringing ‘Trek’ to a younger generation around the world.”
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not so fond of the idea of glorifying "a group of lawless teens", which basically encourages the young audience of this to become criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Not so fond of the idea of glorifying "a group of lawless teens", which basically encourages the young audience of this to become criminals.
        I think there’s a difference between “lawless” and “criminal”. I’d say lawless in this context is likely just a name for Rebelious. Much like Ezra or Ashoka in the Star Wars cartoons.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

No new details yet, just Alex Kurtzman saying:
          I can’t reveal details on that one, but it’s something that has never been done before in Star Trek.
          https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/09/ale...-future-on-tv/

Comment

A little more...

Officially announced in April, the show is developed by Emmy Award-winning brother duo Kevin and Dan Hageman. Kurtzman gave an update on the progress of the child-focused ‘toon:

"I won’t announce the name of the Nickelodeon show, but that’s a really different show [from Lower Decks].

That’s a show that’s for kids, younger. Full CG animation. It’s going to be incredibly cinematic. We just started seeing [story]boards this week. It looks like, wow. It’s on par with Love, Death, and Robots in terms of beauty and lighting and cinema, so it’s a a really different feel, and Nickelodeon has been wildly supportive and I think very excited to bring a new energy to TV, you know, in animation."
            https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/18/ale...-tv-franchise/

Comment

It can't be worse than the last time Star Trek went animated. Not sure I would watch it if its a children's show
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Eh, TAS wasn't as horrific as that. It was lowwwwww budget, but the imagination in it was fantastic.

Comment

Nah. Not at all. TAS may not have been fantastic but it was passable. Certainly on par for the 70's I think.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Writers for this show announced via Twitter:
                    • Julie Benson & Shawna Benson -- Writers/story editors on 21 episodes of The 100, writers/producers on the upcoming Netflix series Wu Assassins, writers of 33 comics at DC (27 on Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, 6 on Green Arrow)
                    • Diandra Pendleton-Thompson -- Also on the Star Trek: Picard team
                    • Chad Quandt -- Writing/story editing credits on Teen Titans Go! (1 episode), Trollhunters (20 episodes), Unikitty! (55 episodes)
                    • Aaron Waltke -- Showrunner on Trollhunters, writing/story editing credits on Trollhunters (20 episodes), Unikitty! (55 episodes)
                    • Lisa Shoop Boyd -- Seems to be a newcomer
                    • Nikhil Jayaram -- Writing credits on The Mysteries of Laura (16 episodes), story editor on Shades of Blue (10 episodes), writer's assistant credits on 2015 TV series Allegiance
                    • Erin McNamara -- Seems to be a newcomer, but also worked on Allegiance, as an assistant to the director
                    • Keith Sweet -- Seems to be a newcomer

Comment

This now has a title and a logo: https://www.startrek.com/news/star-t...gy-has-arrived

Series Title: Star Trek: Prodigy

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

So how likely is it they watched an episode of Space Cases and thought that might make a good star trek series?

I wonder what if the ship is refurbished from a museum piece intended for cadet cruises for a local academy after all not everyone can travel to Starfleet Academy on Earth and a smaller variant would be handy given all the hijinx prior to the 2009 movie reboot.

So the world is attacked and a small group aiding a Starfleet ensign serving as a tour guide for the ship help get it airborne and despite it being lightly armed it manages to help fight off the attackers infuriating them to pursue them out of the system where a system failure means they can't fly straight back.

Finding help at a colony they stumble across it turns out the attackers are a much larger problem and their actions have drawn their attention enough that they're forced to help the colony after one of the attacker's ships arrives.

Sorry still can't see any way a group of kids discover a derelict Star Fleet vessel and go adventuring without someone noticing and something else preventing this from being a single episode.

Currently listening to Star Trek Outpost.
                        Not bad at all.

Comment

CBS has started a complete attack for the viewers. 4-5-6 ST spinoffs! Wow. They were not kidding that they want to cover the whole year with new weekly ST materials.

I don't know what to think about the Prodigy yet. I am still happy we get a new spin-off as everything will expand the lore and the universe. Maybe the fans won't like it or it will be too "childish", but we will see.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Kate Mulgrew Returns to the Star Trek Universe

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

‘Star Trek: Prodigy’ Jumps From Nickelodeon to Paramount+

This article is basically saying that it will premiere on Paramount+ before airs on Nickelodeon.

Comment

Working...
                              X