No announcement yet.

Magic in Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the show says its scientifically explainable, and ascension is the next step in human evolution, then it isn't supernatural, it is natural. If the show also says a rock is edible, it is. This is a fictional world, you need to accept its rules as is.

Not once have we seen anything related to magic, perhaps a couple Jaffas that thought their God were wizards, but that's just ignorance. There's nothing to argue here.

Maybe you guys need to look up the definition of supernatural. Nick is right.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
      Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said "because it's in the show". It has nothing to do with the show itself. In the Stargate universe, all of those things are perfectly natural and rationally explained by science. Ascension and telekinesis are part of evolution, there is no mysterious "supernatural" force tied to it.

In Harry Potter and Star Wars, magic/the Force cannot be rationally explained by science. It's a supernatural force that has no basis in nature. The only thing that can be explained by science is that HP magic is passed down through genetics, and Force sensitivity is determined by midichlorians. But what that magic is or what the Force is cannot be explained at all.

Stargate already has magic. It's mysterious, we think it's supernatural, until the scientists figure out a perfectly rational explanation for what it really is. It's like Scooby Doo. Everyone thinks the monsters are real, until the characters literally unmask them and discover it's just an ordinary person in disguise.
      Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      If the show says its scientifically explainable, and ascension is the next step in human evolution, then it isn't supernatural, it is natural. If the show also says a rock is edible, it is. This is a fictional world, you need to accept its rules as is.

Not once have we seen anything related to magic, perhaps a couple Jaffas that thought their God were wizards, but that's just ignorance. There's nothing to argue here.

Maybe you guys need to look up the definition of supernatural. Nick is right.
      Both of you are missing the point. It doesn't matter how it's justified in show, it's distinctly supernatural outside of it.
      So you can't argue that an element can't be introduced because it's supernatural outside of the show, because that's already happened.
      Originally posted by Craig Charles
      "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

So, uhm, what's your point then? Stargate already has magic, it's just science we can't understand. It doesn't matter that it's supernatural "outside of it", we're not talking about the real world here, we're talking about magic in the Stargate universe, right? Or, no?

In any case, it doesn't matter anyway. MGM does whatever it wants to do. If they want to turn it into Star Wars, so be it. And it seems everyone has a different "opinion" on what science fiction, fantasy and "magic" actually mean.
        Last edited by NickEast; 22 March 2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

This was a fun read, but Nick is right. Within the show's universe there is no magic displayed on screen. Also, a few examples here of "scifi magic" like "Star Wars" are quite arguable... midichlorians and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
            Both of you are missing the point. It doesn't matter how it's justified in show, it's distinctly supernatural outside of it.
            So you can't argue that an element can't be introduced because it's supernatural outside of the show, because that's already happened.
            ALL that matters is that it is justified.
            Is Spock a wizard?
            He can read minds and connect with them.
            Is he using magic?

Is Spock Jesus?
            He came back from the dead.
            Is he using Religious powers?

No, it's acceptable within the framework of the universe of star trek as being natural, as is ascension in stargate.
            You play by the rules of the universe you have created, not the external rules of our own universe, Chaka and Nick are ABSOLUTELY correct.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

^ Yup.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
              X