Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Jewel Staite get promoted to such a major role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Jewel Staite get promoted to such a major role?

Although I think she was good on the series, and despite her innocent little girl approach, I still wonder why she acquired such an important and visible role in the series as Dr. Keller. Any suggestions in this regard would be appreciated!

Well,
    1. Because she’s a good actress.
    2. Because they had a slot to fill with Carson no longer being on the show.
    3. She was a popular name in the sci-fi community as the fandom from Firefly was at a fever pitch at the time.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I would agree with P90 #2 reason. She exists for the doctor told after Carson died. And im leaving before the flamers come
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

They also liked working with her in season 2 (she played the teenage Wraith Queen), and kept her in mind for opportunities to use her again.

Comment

That's fine. But I think it detracted from the show to give her so many storylines and to feature her as the know all doctor. Especially when it had the effect of pushing Teyla to a secondary character in the last half of the fifth season. By that time Teyla is relegated to just asking questions.

Comment

They didn't push Rachel Luttrell anywhere. She asked for reduced time on the show because she'd just had a baby.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              Although I think she was good on the series, and despite her innocent little girl approach, I still wonder why she acquired such an important and visible role in the series as Dr. Keller. Any suggestions in this regard would be appreciated!
              Because the producers really liked her and wanted her in the show.

Comment

Yeah, Martin Gero in particular suggested her for the role of the new doctor, while the production in general had been looking for a way to use her again. After Atlantis ended Gero then hired her as a main cast member for his short lived "'The L.A. Complex" TV show.

It happened a lot on the show. They'd hire someone for a small part, liked working with them, and then they'd try to find something else for them. This is one of only two times it landed the actor a main character role, but there aren't typically a lot of opportunities for one of those.

Comment

Working...
                X