No announcement yet.

If Memory Serves (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that is my reasoning. Even if it is a desert (which the Forge is. It’s supposed to be a wasteland) it’s not to say there aren’t oasis in or around or if it was simply the outskirts of the Forge. But I’ve got into intense arguments with people (cos haters of DSC will argue about anything) that it cannot possibly be the case cos “that’s not canon!”... Le sigh...

And yeah I loved that exchange too. I love seeing Pike and Saru together cos they so clearly make a great team and yet it is such a different dynamic to Captains and First Officers that have been in the other shows. Pike runs the mission, but Saru runs the ship. It’s such a great set up and I hope that it’s leading towards Saru’s eventual promotion to Captain.

We actually know from TOS that Pike makes it to Fleet Captain, which is supposedly a rank up from Standard Captain. So I’m hoping that next season we’ll still get plenty of Anson Mount as Pike, possibly from the Enterprise while he takes command of a task force that includes the Discovery so we still get plenty of discourse between him and the rest of the crew and see more of his crew too. Not just SPock but I want more of Number One.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The haters aren't worth your time, honestly. Just sit back and enjoy. This is a terrific show, they're only robbing themselves of a good time.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I know. What annoys me that people even earn money with hate videos. You know I love reaction videos especially if I like those youtubers, but it feels odd to make the opposite that somebody only makes videos just to express how much they hate it. But anyway I should not care about it. If we could get a new nexgen SG, we should be prepared that such reaction videos will be made for SG as well.

Back to the Vulcan. Viewers always forget that a planet is not just one place what they can show in a tv show. It must have climates, seasons, different ecosystems. If an alien would land in the Sahara or at the Grand Canyon they could believe that the whole Earth is like that, but it isn't. Similar mistake happened in Stargate. They have thrown away "useless" planets so easily, while the stargate could have been transported to a better climate instead of deserts... If there is a planet with a breathable atmosphere, then all can be colonized. Just imagine if we could have a portal to an other Earth. Humanity would do everything to discover every single part of it.

So what is the fate of Pike? He was the one who was killed in the first reboot movie by the Romulans? I don't remember.

Could the Red Angel be Lorca? I know it is weird, but he has fallen into the Sun, maybe he was teleported by the network as well.

Or can the Red Angel be a Georgiou from the future? But would explain why she wanted to rescue Burnham in the first place, but then that event must have happened, so Burnham died in that timeline (TOS timeline? That is the reason Spock has never talked about her?)

Or can the Red Angel be any other character form spinoffs? Q?

Or can the Red Angel be an alternate Spock? But then he would have felt there is a Vulcan in the spacesuit.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

That was a cracking episode. Loved it to bits.

And isn't the resemblance between the late Jeffery Hunter and Anson Mount really striking?

A couple of things bug me though. Throughout Star Trek's 50-odd year history, we keep being told "Vulcan's a desert planet. Vulcan's a desert planet.", so with that in mind - where the hell are all these trees coming from? A forest? On Vulcan? WTF?

And why was the deck of Discovery's hangar bay wet? I don't get that.
          Surely on a Starship water is a precious commodity, hence the sonic shower.
          Wouldn't a better method of cleaning the deck just be to decompress, turn off gravity, and let all the dust and other assorted crap float out into space?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            I know. What annoys me that people even earn money with hate videos. You know I love reaction videos especially if I like those youtubers, but it feels odd to make the opposite that somebody only makes videos just to express how much they hate it. But anyway I should not care about it. If we could get a new nexgen SG, we should be prepared that such reaction videos will be made for SG as well.
            There are only really three places on Youtube I trust for Discovery reactions at the moment. Trekyards, whose commentators are still fairly... pompous when it comes to Trek lore and canon but know their stuff and they really try their best to be unbiased even though they fail fairly often. Steve Shives, Who is a proper Star Trek nerd but accepts that the show is just for entertainment and doesn’t care about most of the shows changes. AndTriAngulum Audio Studios who does some awesome videos on Trek lore including Discovery. I really want my favourite Youtuber, Lorerunner to do some stuff on Discovery too because he does some proper in depth ruminations on Star Trek episodes but I suspect he won’t cover Disco for a while because he doesn’t like to cover controversial topics on his show.

Back to the Vulcan. Viewers always forget that a planet is not just one place what they can show in a tv show. It must have climates, seasons, different ecosystems. If an alien would land in the Sahara or at the Grand Canyon they could believe that the whole Earth is like that, but it isn't. Similar mistake happened in Stargate. They have thrown away "useless" planets so easily, while the stargate could have been transported to a better climate instead of deserts... If there is a planet with a breathable atmosphere, then all can be colonized. Just imagine if we could have a portal to an other Earth. Humanity would do everything to discover every single part of it.
            Exactly

So what is the fate of Pike? He was the one who was killed in the first reboot movie by the Romulans? I don't remember.
            He was alive at the end of the 2009 movie but was killed by Khan near the start of Into Darkness. This actually requires a spoiler for the Original Series timeline.

Spoiler:
            Pike is only brought up one other time in the TOS episode “The Menagerie”. Unfortunately he’s not played by Jeffrey Hunter and in fact Kirk and crew discover that Pike has been in an accident which has crippled him and he is only able to exist in a wheel chair with a blinking light to answer yes or no questions. Spock, being loyal to his formaer Captain, decides to take him back to Talos IV so that they Talosians may give him the illuson of having his old body and allw him to live out the rest of his life with Vina. This leads to Spock acting without orders and has a Court Martial where the evens of the Cage are revealed to Kirk and and Admiral.

Could the Red Angel be Lorca? I know it is weird, but he has fallen into the Sun, maybe he was teleported by the network as well.

Or can the Red Angel be a Georgiou from the future? But would explain why she wanted to rescue Burnham in the first place, but then that event must have happened, so Burnham died in that timeline (TOS timeline? That is the reason Spock has never talked about her?)

Or can the Red Angel be any other character form spinoffs? Q?

Or can the Red Angel be an alternate Spock? But then he would have felt there is a Vulcan in the spacesuit.
            Most of these feel unlikely. It certainly won’t be Q or another entity from a separate show. We know Lorca won’t be back this season for a fact and almost certainly won’t be an alternate Spock. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the current Ethan Peck Spock. Georgiou is also a plausible possibility. Perhaps an act of redemption on the part of the former Emperor.

However I still maintain that if it is any of our main characters then all these events must be a circular loop. That the suit itself is from very far from the future and due to something that will occur later the character from Discovery has to take the suit to ensure events play out as they have so far done.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            That was a cracking episode. Loved it to bits.

And isn't the resemblance between the late Jeffery Hunter and Anson Mount really striking?

A couple of things bug me though. Throughout Star Trek's 50-odd year history, we keep being told "Vulcan's a desert planet. Vulcan's a desert planet.", so with that in mind - where the hell are all these trees coming from? A forest? On Vulcan? WTF?

And why was the deck of Discovery's hangar bay wet? I don't get that.
            Surely on a Starship water is a precious commodity, hence the sonic shower.
            Wouldn't a better method of cleaning the deck just be to decompress, turn off gravity, and let all the dust and other assorted crap float out into space?
            See Platschu’s previous post in regards to Vulcan. Even a planet known as “a desert world” would still likely have climates and at least small areas where vegetation could grow.

Water is also not a really a precious commodity in space. It does take up a lot of space, hence the use of sonic showers. But all it is is Oxygen and Hydrogen, both of which are abundent in the universe. Deuterium, which they use as matter in the warp matter/anti-mater reaction is just Heavy Water. If you are running out then you simply fly through a nebula or gas cloud, collect the gasses with the ram scoops at the front of the warp nacelles and make more.

This was something that always bothered me in Voyager because they had whole storylines about how they were running out of deuterium... But deuterium shouldn’t be the thing they struggle to get more of. It should have been the anti-matter that they struggled to get more of.

Comment

Wonky science at its best/worst I suppose.

Didn't ToS run their scripts past someone at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, just to make sure the science was maybe possible?

I dunno. Maybe I'm getting too picky in my old age.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Didn't ToS run their scripts past someone at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, just to make sure the science was maybe possible?

No no, I think I recall hearing that the Star Trek show was groundbreaking for being the first to hire science/physics consultants... (Among many other things, such as the diversity of the cast)

I might be wrong though.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

There have been a number of science advisers over the years. Kellam de Forest was head researcher for TOS. His company actually was designed to be a research company for television series to use and fact check their work. A man called Harvey P. Lynn also worked on TOS before de Forest and coined the term ‘phaser’. TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT all basically worked with the same former NASA researcher, a gentleman called Andre Bormanis. TNG had a few other researchers within their ranks for a while. Mostly writers who had a background in science or engineering.

Currently a man called Anthony Maranville is researcher works with the Discovery team, and much in the same way de Forrest and Bormanis did, basically sources a lot of their technobabble and scientific aspects for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    No no, I think I recall hearing that the Star Trek show was groundbreaking for being the first to hire science/physics consultants... (Among many other things, such as the diversity of the cast)

I might be wrong though.

Isaac Asimov actually praised Star Trek at one point for it’s scientific accuracy. He was speaking about TOS at the time. But yes, Star Trek has always been praised for its scientific accuracy. I know a lot of science nerds who love that Discovery includes the most accurate warp jump in Star Trek history in the first season.

Comment

Three more episodes to go.
                      sigpic

Comment

Three more episodes to go.
                        six more. There are 14 episodes this season. We just only have the episode names for up to episode 11.

Comment

I stand corrected, thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X