Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when people hate fanfiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do when people hate fanfiction?

I mean fanfiction in general. From the people who hate it and don't see it as a hobby, or a talent to explore possibilities inspired by Stargate (or anything else already existing), to those who deny the fanficiton of the past (From the Aeneid to Shakespeare to Fanzines to authors who write and promote fanfiction) to thse who say fanfiction and fanart are illegal?

What do you when they creep into your fan sites? Or actively hunt down fanfiction so they can post about how much they hate it and hate an aspect of you because you write it?
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    I mean fanfiction in general. From the people who hate it and don't see it as a hobby, or a talent to explore possibilities inspired by Stargate (or anything else already existing), to those who deny the fanficiton of the past (From the Aeneid to Shakespeare to Fanzines to authors who write and promote fanfiction) to thse who say fanfiction and fanart are illegal?

What do you when they creep into your fan sites? Or actively hunt down fanfiction so they can post about how much they hate it and hate an aspect of you because you write it?
    Never actually encountered this myself. But I’d say just ignore them like you would do for any hater of a piece of writing. If there’s constructive criticism involved then by all means take it onboard but otherwise your writing isn’t even for them so it’s their problem not yours.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      Never actually encountered this myself. But I’d say just ignore them like you would do for any hater of a piece of writing. If there’s constructive criticism involved then by all means take it onboard but otherwise your writing isn’t even for them so it’s their problem not yours.
      The criticism is far from constructive. They claim it's copyright violation and illegal (one said he'd e-mail the company and have me arrested), to 'you have no life' to 'wow, how cna someone be so dumb as to write fanfiction' and 'only kids in elementary school who eat past write fanfiction'. They pop up eeverywhere on fandom sites (except this one I take it).

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I'll go with what others have said. Consider the source, and give it all due consideration. None, that is.
        Other people are entitled to give their views. No one says you have to pay attention to them.

Comment

Indeed. It’s simply trolls making trouble. There are entire websites dedicated to fanfiction. It is a valid form of creative writing. I would say that if you are encountering a lot on fandom sites that maybe you should move your writing to a dedicated fanfiction site. But otherwise seriously pay it no mind. I’ve been writing fiction of all kinds, both fanfiction and otherwise my whole life and while I’ve never encountered that specicific arguement I have had trolls appear and say it’s crap or that I should give up writing and I simply ignore them. In the case of your example of someone who says ”I’ll report you for copyright violation.” my simple response would be ”You do that...”. They’re just trolls like any other. Irritating but the easiest thing to do is just to pay them no attention and click the block button whenever one is available.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I would say if people hate what you do, ignore them and if they get rude, report and block them. Creating any form of art you will always have someone who hates what you do, even hate you for doing it. What you need to keep in mind though is that if you write fan fiction you have to make clear it is that...link to the owners of the lore or, if you can, ask them for permission. It is as fan arts a grey zone
            But the one you create art for should always be yourself and if someone else likes it it is a nice bonus

Comment

If it's your fansite, block them. Otherwise, the best advice is Don't Feed the Trolls.

I'd also like to point out that on a technical level, fanfiction does violate copyright. However, it is up to the owners of the copyright to decide if they are going to tolerate, discourage, or even actually encourage the writing and posting of it, not the average a-hole on the street.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

You must know some real buzzkills! Seriously, I thought Snape was a Harry Potter Character, but apparently guys like him are out there!

This must really suck, such people must be more toxic than a barrel of radioactive waste! Makes me wounder how such people live? I mean if I behaved like that I would lose my friends (I don't have many, I like quality over quantity and as an introvert I prefer not partying etc.!) and end up all alone!

As for what you should do?

Either confront them or walk away (pity them, but forget them!)!

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                  Either confront them or walk away (pity them, but forget them!)!
                  I've learned to block them, then reply by telling them how legality works (How do they think hotels are legally allowed to have artist alleys or fanzines exist?).

But yes, there's at least two on the stargate Reddit sub (most people int he main sub hate them, so the two made their own sub and no one else goes there), and on the official discord (which is why I made my own. Espeically since there's a toxic regular there who said he loves making people mad).

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    I'll go with what others have said. Consider the source, and give it all due consideration. None, that is.
                    Other people are entitled to give their views. No one says you have to pay attention to them.
                    My mum always reminds me to consider the source. Also I have heard that (unsolicited) advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
                    Basically with writing, generally take any advice as it is which you can take it or leave it. You are the writer. Even if it is for school, it is the teacher whose voice matters not a complete stranger.
                    I have been told that my writing is tripe. I started to write a stargate based fic and someone criticized me for putting a stargate in my story without much thought. The story was not about SG1 but a romance between two individuals from different worlds. I do not remember much about it, but either the gal was visiting the dude’s world or the other way around. I let others stop me from writing that fic.
                    I have done many crying sessions over the fact my stories are not “original” enough. (I also have some form of depression I think, which does not help with the fear.)

I guess if it is not written because of fears that someone else might not like it, they win. If it is written, at least it got written. Better yet if edited to take out typos and to improve clarity for reading.

I guess if the unsolicited advice is not constructive ignore it. It is not easy, but it is for the best. The so and so who called my work tripe wins if I give up writing for him. I know sometimes constructive advice can hurt, but that advice should say how to improve your work instead of vague it is not good.

Basically ignoring their carp would be best. They should focus on technique verses how original it is.
                    Hello
                    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Well, a) technically speaking, fanfiction is in violation of intellectual property we do not have the right to use. However, b) we do not make a profit of our fiction and thus most companies will live and let live.

There are authors of books who don't want fanfic authors to write different stories with their characters, but those are few.

These trolls simply want to be idiots and it's by far for the best to just ignore them, which you've already done obviously (since this was started in March). They don't have a legal leg to stand on anyways unless you're making big bucks from your fanfic -- are you?

I don't care whether people read my fanfic. I've written some stuff that I wish I could make disappear of the worldwide web for sure. Gotta start somewhere and I learned a lot on the way to where I am now.
                      I also don't care whether they like it or not.

And the only criticism I've gotten so far is from beta readers whom I tell to be as harsh as they can be cause I need to make sure the fic is near perfection as far as limited plotholes, grammar and spelling go, especially when it's a fic I wrote for someone else as a gift. Of course, then it becomes important that the receiver likes it.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                      X