• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light and Shadows (207)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON TWO
    LIGHT AND SHADOWS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 207
    Pike and Tyler investigate a temporal rift over Kaminar, only to find their shuttle trapped and under attack. Meanwhile Michael returns home to Vulcan in search of her brother, and finds him in an unsettling mental state.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 March 2019, 10:12 PM.

That was amazing. I was only just watching The Cage the other day and now the’re off to Talos IV again. Can’t wait for that. Still not so sure about this version of Spock but I keep reminding myself that this iis an emotionally compromised Spock from ten years before the absolute Vulcan we see in TOS. We know after all that he was somewhat more emotional during his time with Pike. Also the fact that he does suffer with a Vulcan form of dyslexia may appear out of the view but itreally doeshelp flesh out the character a lot. Spock always stood apart from everyone in TOS. He insisted he was Vulcan before anything else and we know he is a genius even by Vulcan standards. That is often the sort of person you get from a child that suffers from any sort of learning difficulty. Focussed but also emotionally fragile.

Meanwhile the stuff aboard Disco was very cool. I do think the show is getting a bit technobabbly and there is a risk that Stamets may become the magic wand that solves anything at this point but yet there was some very down to Earth stuff. The release of Warp Plasma was a simple and relatable solution to Pike and Tyler’s problem.

The probe on the other hand... Well that raises questions... Like what the hell it’s done to Airiam. Is it the same people who sent the Red Angel or something else? And why was it probing DIsco’s data banks? Was that just a ploy to get to AIriam? ARe they after Spock too?

The one thing I’m not sure I like is the implication that Leland is somehow behind the Klingon attack that got Burnham’s parents killed. Assuming it was a Klingon attack and not some sort of S31 shadow operation designed to look like a Klingon attack. Either way it feels like a certain amount of forced melodrama. I never like anything that makes the Star Trek universe feel smaller than it is and the more you pile on these little coincidences like ”oh wow you know this person too?” the smaller it all feels. It’s not an issue that’s solely with Discovery, but unless they come up with something good that links Leland, Sarek and Burnham all together it’s going to feel a bit forced. (Though Leland did note that he knew Sarek in this one so you never know.)

Speaking of Sarek, it may have been a short performance but it was a great one from both James Frain and Mia Kirshner. Frain still got across that closed off Vulcan wall but it was amazing seeing Sarek break it down just that little bit when talking about saving both his children. It was something that Mark Leonard was equally good at when he played Sarek. I am also ecstatic wheneer I see Amanda. Kirshner is extraordinary and portraying a woman who clearly tries to constrain her emotions because of being mostly around Vulcans but is such a caring and emotional person that she can’t do it. Burnham noticing that her hands were red from being rubbed together so much was a nice touch and I struggle to remember a time I’ve seen a performance that perfectly captures that kind of worry that only parents get when their child is very sick or in danger but they still have to carry on with life.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Wow and wow and wooooooow. This was so good! It really feels not just a tv show, rather a movie. Unbelievable.

I really like how they pulled out Georgiou's knowledge card. Even if she is from the Mirror Universe, she can and she definately knows much more about Michael. I believe there will be a bond between them forever as both realities progressed into a mother-daughter type of relationship.

It was great to see the Vulcan again. The family interaction, the acting, the dialogues were really nicely written.

And the shuttle scenes were also nicely done. I loved the Pike vs. Tyler (Voq) arguement. Generally I love time travel and they managed to show something original in this scifi cliché. It was really-really entertaining.

I also liked how they ask question and state something about the main story, so the known facts are summarized to the viewers in a different way. Nice and also creative way to be interested to make theories.

So all together, well done again.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

No more comments in 3 days... So sad. This is such a great show.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I know and I really wanna keep talking about it too. I could gush all day over how awesome Discovery is.

Comment

I really like how creatively they use the bridge in the episodes. Now there was time travel, then there was a split half-spore, half-real version, then there was the signs from the dying planet entity, then the Babel tower situation. Well done. I am guessing most of the old TOS show also played on the bridge, just it feels so fresh and everything movie quality in this spinoff. They could do less interactions on Stargate either, because the bridge was much smaller on the board of Daedalus type ships.

I really like how they are planning something with Airiam. Has he turned into a Cylon?! I know it is a bit more cliche, but it serves the story and the secondary characters have got more chance to shine now. And this is a good step as some fans moaned how we don't know properly even their names or roles.

I love Georgiou more and more. We don't know her real reasons, we don't know how much she knows. I loved how she made her first step to Michael to restore their weird interdimensional family bond. So she can be really an odd character in her own spinoff. I liked the different corridor design of Section 31.

Talking about special effects. The arrival scene to the Vulcan was fantastic. Wow. I just hoped that will go to that particular tomb where Amanda will die in the reboot movie.

I had to read some wikipedia files about Talos IV as it has meant nothing for me since this is my first ST show what I am following since the beginning. (I have seen the movies and the reboot movies and some episodes of TNG/DS9/VOY).

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              No more comments in 3 days... So sad. This is such a great show.
              I feel outgunned to talk about it in depth, I literally can't understand 90% of what you guys say, I have no Trek baggage.

I still very much enjoy the show though.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I am also not a hardcore trekkie, but I know the main characters, races, events. I have never had the time to watch all the spinoffs. But it looks like the writers of Discovery have put an extra effort to link this show to the TOS what the so called "fans" don't want to see and appreciate.

Comment

I'm always happy to help fill in any gaps of Trek knowledge you guys might have. There have been so many references over the last few weeks. Even Pike choosing to burn off the plasma on the shuttle was a trick that Spock would use in an episode of TOS. And the whole thing where Tilly talks about everything sounding cooler when you put 'time' in front of it was almost certainly a dig at the original pilot that had Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike where Warp Speed was instead just called "Time Warp" so as in "Time Warp Factor 6" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I'm always happy to help fill in any gaps of Trek knowledge you guys might have. There have been so many references over the last few weeks. Even Pike choosing to burn off the plasma on the shuttle was a trick that Spock would use in an episode of TOS. And the whole thing where Tilly talks about everything sounding cooler when you put 'time' in front of it was almost certainly a dig at the original pilot that had Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike where Warp Speed was instead just called "Time Warp" so as in "Time Warp Factor 6" etc.
                    That's kind of you, but my ''gaps'' are more like voids, basically all I knew from Trek was Red Alert and Cpt. Picard drinking earl grey tea because this man doesn't age.

But for starters, I'd like to know what ''TOS'' means
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

TOS = The Original Series

:shame bell for Chaka:

Comment

Yes. Crash course in Star Trek Shorthand.

TOS = The Original Series.
                        TNG = The Next Generation
                        DS9 = Deep Space Nine
                        VOY = Voyager
                        ENT = Enterprise
                        DSC / DIS = Discovery

Don’t ever let a troll tell you Discovery is STD cos no other Trek series is acronymed like that.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Yes. Crash course in Star Trek Shorthand.

TOS = The Original Series.
                          TNG = The Next Generation
                          DS9 = Deep Space Nine
                          VOY = Voyager
                          ENT = Enterprise
                          DSC / DIS = Discovery

Don’t ever let a troll tell you Discovery is STD cos no other Trek series is acronymed like that.
                          Ah! Thanks.

''Have you watched the last episode of STD, man do I love STD, it's so good!'' xD
                          Spoiler:

Comment

As far as I know there was even an animated TOS series as well. Timeline wise as far as I know the order is ENT, DIS, TOS, TOS animated, TNG, DS9/VOY, but maybe I am wrong.

All together there are
                            TOS = The Original Series - 3(+1) seasons
                            TNG = The Next Generation - 7 seasons
                            DS9 = Deep Space Nine - 7 seasons
                            VOY = Voyager - 7 seasons
                            ENT = Enterprise - 4 seasons
                            DSC / DIS = Discovery - 2 seasons + 4 Short Treks

So we have got 31 seasons so far.

And then these are coming or are in development :
                            PIC = Picard series - 1+ season (10 episodes)
                            S31 = Section 31
                            the sitcom type ST series
                            the new animated ST series

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              Ah! Thanks.

''Have you watched the last episode of STD, man do I love STD, it's so good!'' xD
                              I’ve noticed that it is really only ever called that by people who hate the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X