Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are we getting any closer?

With Apple, NBCU, and Disney all launching major streaming platforms in the next year; and Netflix/Amazon doubling down on original content. I woulnd't be surprised to see some new original content created in the Stargate Universe (no pun intended).

I have just come across this thread, and read all of it. I must admit that most of it 'goes straight through to the keeper' because I am not into all the flavours of Stargate (books, games, comics, spinoffs & fan fiction) just SG1.
    Now I agree, if doing a reboot means loosing all cannon it should not be done. So to resurrect SG1 I would suggest they revisit some of the planets they only went to once (as far as we know) and see how they are getting on now. Maybe they have a new threat for SG1 to take care of.
    Maybe the SG1 team have all changed now, as somebody said, the original actors are not getting any younger and maybe would now be desk-bound at the SGC with occasional gate travel accompanying the team just to renew old acquaintances.
    Then I am sure there must be new gates to try, and who knows what mischief they might find. We might even get to meet the legendary Furlings.

I might be talking rubbish (i do speak it fluently you know) but this diatribe might give somebody ideas to pitch to MGM or whoever.

This moment, in the forum tree, couldn’t be a more appropriate and succinct reaction if it tried

1380EF06-C89B-4C55-80DD-E1410D021F34.jpeg
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    This moment, in the forum tree, couldn’t be a more appropriate and succinct reaction if it tried

1380EF06-C89B-4C55-80DD-E1410D021F34.jpeg
    WHY can I not green you for that!!!
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    WHY can I not green you for that!!!
    Don't worry, I just did.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Don't worry, I just did.
    Thank you my dear.
    Hugs for you.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Tretonin Re: Are we getting any closer?

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    If there is any way we can nudge them a bit put it out there.
    doubtful a nudge would help. on the other hand a kick in the --- might

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    In some ways I think Stargate kind of backed itself into a corner with how it progressed. If they continued the story from where it left off then you would have a show that doesn’t really appeal to a new casual audience because part of Stargate’s novelty is that it is set in the modern day. And yet as of when Stargate finished we had ships powerful enough to take and destroy all our enemies with no problems. Stargate was and is at its best when it’s about us being the underdog...

So if the brand really can be opened up again to new opportunities then it really needs to be a reboot.

I feel like this overall statement (I have some issues with specific callouts you use, but no worries) is the most truthful statement here. Though I'd caution against "reboot".

What Stargate needs more than a reboot is a RENEWAL. Think of the reboot as the sarcophagus, you can indeed bring something back but every time you do, you lose a little bit of the magic, a little bit of the discovery... a little bit of the soul.

I'm the first one to say that Atlantis does have some improvements on SG-1, especially with the whole long form story aspect (serialized) versus episodic that SG-1 really relied on. Yet Atlantis (and more so SGU) also never really felt like "Stargate" in a way that to me, probably brings up feelings for Trekkies who didn't feel "TNG" was stargate.

You can't get struck twice by lightning in the same storm. Or some other metaphor/simile that Teal'c would screw up.

So, how do we renew Stargate while telling NEW stories, and keeping old fans happy/invested? We CAN'T go back to the SGU well, unfortunately that's kind of a lost cause. Either ignore it, or explain it away like "The Destiny was lost with all hands, while we initially had contact eventually even the orbs of communication stopped working and we don't know why. Unfortunately we've never managed to get a ship anywhere close, and we have no idea what happened". Leave Destiny as a possible untold story if it somehow makes sense in the future to reference.

SO that answers the big ol "SGU" question. Then what about Atlantis and SG-1? How do you solve those questions? How do we move on from "Tauri essentially save the universe from all the big bads"?

Well... there is an obvious answer in SG-1's first five seasons. You bring them back from the dead. You don't explain it. You don't even bother, you go "HEY-o. This guy is back because ... magnets"

So, who? and how(ish) and why?

Well...

Picture this universe circa SGU. Tauri are pretty much the number one power, however there are the following factions (known) out there.

A) Free Jaffa
    B) Remnants of the Tok'ra
    C) Lucian Alliance
    D) Nox
    E) Wraith, both Atlantis aligned and others.
    F) independent human worlds all over the place (Travelers/ etc)

Along with the unknown

A) left over Asgard, both evil and "good"
    B) left over Ancients
    C) Left over asurans
    D) left over replicators
    E) goa'uld survivors/other system lords i.e. fanon creations, or analogues like Linvirs.

So those are the major powers, or thereabouts (apologies if I forgot or missed one, but they could probably be introduced into the mechanics)

So, with those powers out there... and the Tauri basically reigning supreme with Asgard-powered starships and technology capable of destroying suns/systems... what do they do?

They hide it because they have to. They hide their tech, they bury it, they use it sparsely... because otherwise the newly resurrected replicator-goa'uld hybrid (if we can have goa'uld/ancient, or replicator/human, why not?) Apophis will focus on them and bring them to heel.

It's an idea that uses an old threat (really two of them) and melds together existing knowledge of SG-1's quirks "Replicators hone in on advanced tech" and gives allowances for story-choices to effectively "depower" the protagonist (SG-1/Earthlings).

Introduce us to a setting where the Tauri on top hear rumors coming from old goa'uld controlled worlds of new Jaffa appearing and threatening worlds with destruction if they don't bow to their old gods and resume worship of the Goa'uld.

Not because the new reborn Apophis needs their worship like the Ori... but for a much more simple and diabolical reason.

He wants it. Let the humans go toe to toe with him at first. Let them even win a few, but like Germany vs Russia in WW2... let them realize the hopelessness of their cause. Either send them fleeing off Earth into the galaxy (more akin to Farscape then SGU) to recruit unknown or old allies (Nox/Tollan survivors/Furlings/travelers). Sure there are logical plot holes to some of this, but frankly there have been plot holes in every work of fiction from the ancient times to now... I mean just look at Daniel's Grandfather for examples of "wells left unexplored".

These stories could be told by a semi-decent writer, a reboot like Nick says would just toss everything that's important about the Stargate story and leave the Stargate. No thanks. There is a reason why when SG-1 started up it brought in the characters directly from the movie. They knew the fans would love it. Who couldn't love the dichotomy between ONeill and ONeil?

Anyways, I believe there is a lot of opportunity to renew Stargate, they just need to have the sight to see it... and bring in the passionate creatives that love Stargate and the stories it told. I know they are out there... like myself.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quite like what Renown says here.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks on all your input on what could be the possible future of Stargate! Sorry for The disappearance act I pulled.... Something really bad happened and it's still ongoing... If you'd like to read what it is I posted it and off-topic chatter and I'd really appreciate it if you took a look... Attack on topic I'm loving your theories and your opinions on what could be! I know not everyone has the same opinion as me, that doesn't mean I can't respect them. Or even agree with some of them

Later
    -Frank
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...alnoborder.jpg