No announcement yet.

Are we getting any closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a little creativity, there are so many options to "nerf" the technology. It's not that hard at all. I don't recall in any episode that all problems were instantly solved, even with the advanced technology. Since 2007, when SG-1 was cancelled, I have come up with several ideas to compensate for the seeming "OP" nature of our technology.

A reboot does not open up the franchise for new opportunities. What it does is allow someone else who doesn't care for the franchise to start over without having to consider anything that came before. That destroys a brand more often than that it reinvigorates it.

A little imagination can do wonders. And if even I can come up with a few ideas, then what could happen when a bunch of experienced writers, with the help from BW or other veterans, are brainstorming new ideas.

Comment

"Reboot" is banned from my SG dictionary. No, no and noooo! We have got a great lore, great tv shows, so even me as an amateur writer / dreamer could imagine at least 3-4-5 interesting spinoff scenarios. There would be so much way to introduce new stargate networks, new galaxies, returning the existing storylines or even jump in time and to tell stories about other eras of the Stargate history.

I really liked the concept of Stargate : Worlds how they wanted to move the franchise into the computergame as they wanted a direct connection between the game and the live action shows. Just somehow they were unlucky with the game developers as well. After the cancellation of Stargate SG-1 : The Alliance, maybe they should have made a "smaller", but finally released Stargate game instead of the MMORPG.

I was thinking a few weeks ago that somebody could make some simple Stargate mobile games, but obviously the legal rights would never let them publish. I have imgined a little replicator game, where we could play a Replicator, who must multiply itself, so it would eat metal pieces in a logic game. etc.

I am not against Expanded Universe as everything can be treated as an alternate timeline. Even the Stargate : Infinity or the story elements of novels, comics, cancelled games.

But currentlly their main focus should be to find such an SG form, where the invested money / paying customer rate are constant. So they should focus on such fixed SG programs (Origins story, tv movie, mini series), which can be done and can maintain and improve the number of paying customers of the app. That is what I expect from this year, that they will announce at least 1 Origins story for year 2, then they can move forward in year 3.

I was also thinking what if they could hire Jason Momoa to advertise the SG:C app. Probably he is horrible expensive now, but millions of people love and fololow him because of GoT and his Hollywood carrier, so he could be the face of the franchise to gain new paying customers to see him in his early years. Even he could invest into Stargate from his salary, but I doubt that he would be interested in such negotiations.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Making an MMO was the worst decision. What's even worse is that the developers were basically rookies, having never made even a regular video game. On top of that, the reasons the game was cancelled seem to have been both financial trouble with the developers, and fraud by either the publisher or the management of the development studio. But it also seemed that the game contradicted itself. It was intended to take place in the small gap between seasons 8 and 9, but so many things were introduced in the game that it seemed to be far ahead of the series in terms of technology and lore. Not to mention the amount of events that were supposed to happen in what would not have been a very large timeline gap (less than a year).

The Unleashed game was also an abomination. A mobile game is not the way to go for something like this, especially for narrative-driven games (unless it's multi-platform, such as the Telltale games). It doesn't have to be AAA either (actually, AAA would be just as bad). But in any case it should be a proper "console" game (aka, PC, PlayStation, and XBOX at the very least). Just like with a webseries compared to a regular TV series, mobiles games are nice as small tidbits alongside regular games, but not as the only platform.

Comment

I agree. SG:W could have been started later when they had stable income and positive critics from the first few SG games. Stargate : Worlds was considered like an official, in-canon "virtual spinoff" which was written by Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper. And it looked so promising on concept arts, so maybe a computer game could have been the way to show such things what they could never afford on a tv show. You know they have done 40 episodes from 80-85 million dollars what is insane and nowadays it wouldn't be achieavable if you want to mainain a standard quality. That is the reason I have said I really understand their struggling as well. SG:W could have open up the franchise and show a wider, more interactive part of the galaxy. I still hope that some ideas could be saved for future SG projects.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I agree with @Platcshu, reboot=NO WAY! We have way too much Canon and lore in the franchise.. I just wish MGM would commit instead of being so tentative. To me it just seems like they're afraid to fail.. IMO if they would just stick to the ORIGINAL FORMULA I think they might be surprised.. based off of all the stories you hear of even New generation starting out watching Stargate now, and just getting into the show recently, I truly think that it would work but they just need to "sack up" for lack of a better term.. it needs to be a worldwide thing, and I mean 100% worldwide not partially... And I think the reception will be better than they think. My worry is if they don't act soon, all the original actors aren't going to be around forever.. and a lot of them have expressed that they have an interest in doing something with the franchise recently, I really hope that it just doesn't go to waste and they wait too long.. I don't know, I know I'm being optimistic here but my love for this franchise is never ending and right now it's still plausible. so I don't want to be negative about it while it's still possible for it to happen. That might sound naive but this is my favorite show of all time and I'm sure a lot of you share that sentiment. That's just my two cents, everybody have a great day

I do also agree that @Platcshu should be nominated president and honorary God lol he is the absolute MAN in my book.

Much love,
            -Frank
            sigpic

Comment

With Apple, NBCU, and Disney all launching major streaming platforms in the next year; and Netflix/Amazon doubling down on original content. I woulnd't be surprised to see some new original content created in the Stargate Universe (no pun intended).

Comment

I have just come across this thread, and read all of it. I must admit that most of it 'goes straight through to the keeper' because I am not into all the flavours of Stargate (books, games, comics, spinoffs & fan fiction) just SG1.
                Now I agree, if doing a reboot means loosing all cannon it should not be done. So to resurrect SG1 I would suggest they revisit some of the planets they only went to once (as far as we know) and see how they are getting on now. Maybe they have a new threat for SG1 to take care of.
                Maybe the SG1 team have all changed now, as somebody said, the original actors are not getting any younger and maybe would now be desk-bound at the SGC with occasional gate travel accompanying the team just to renew old acquaintances.
                Then I am sure there must be new gates to try, and who knows what mischief they might find. We might even get to meet the legendary Furlings.

I might be talking rubbish (i do speak it fluently you know) but this diatribe might give somebody ideas to pitch to MGM or whoever.
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

This moment, in the forum tree, couldn’t be a more appropriate and succinct reaction if it tried

1380EF06-C89B-4C55-80DD-E1410D021F34.jpeg
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    This moment, in the forum tree, couldn’t be a more appropriate and succinct reaction if it tried

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42875[/ATTACH]
                    WHY can I not green you for that!!!
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      WHY can I not green you for that!!!
                      Don't worry, I just did.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Don't worry, I just did.
                        Thank you my dear.
                        Hugs for you.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by bschultz View Post
                          If there is any way we can nudge them a bit put it out there.
                          doubtful a nudge would help. on the other hand a kick in the --- might

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            In some ways I think Stargate kind of backed itself into a corner with how it progressed. If they continued the story from where it left off then you would have a show that doesn’t really appeal to a new casual audience because part of Stargate’s novelty is that it is set in the modern day. And yet as of when Stargate finished we had ships powerful enough to take and destroy all our enemies with no problems. Stargate was and is at its best when it’s about us being the underdog...

So if the brand really can be opened up again to new opportunities then it really needs to be a reboot.

I feel like this overall statement (I have some issues with specific callouts you use, but no worries) is the most truthful statement here. Though I'd caution against "reboot".

What Stargate needs more than a reboot is a RENEWAL. Think of the reboot as the sarcophagus, you can indeed bring something back but every time you do, you lose a little bit of the magic, a little bit of the discovery... a little bit of the soul.

I'm the first one to say that Atlantis does have some improvements on SG-1, especially with the whole long form story aspect (serialized) versus episodic that SG-1 really relied on. Yet Atlantis (and more so SGU) also never really felt like "Stargate" in a way that to me, probably brings up feelings for Trekkies who didn't feel "TNG" was stargate.

You can't get struck twice by lightning in the same storm. Or some other metaphor/simile that Teal'c would screw up.

So, how do we renew Stargate while telling NEW stories, and keeping old fans happy/invested? We CAN'T go back to the SGU well, unfortunately that's kind of a lost cause. Either ignore it, or explain it away like "The Destiny was lost with all hands, while we initially had contact eventually even the orbs of communication stopped working and we don't know why. Unfortunately we've never managed to get a ship anywhere close, and we have no idea what happened". Leave Destiny as a possible untold story if it somehow makes sense in the future to reference.

SO that answers the big ol "SGU" question. Then what about Atlantis and SG-1? How do you solve those questions? How do we move on from "Tauri essentially save the universe from all the big bads"?

Well... there is an obvious answer in SG-1's first five seasons. You bring them back from the dead. You don't explain it. You don't even bother, you go "HEY-o. This guy is back because ... magnets"

So, who? and how(ish) and why?

Well...

Picture this universe circa SGU. Tauri are pretty much the number one power, however there are the following factions (known) out there.

A) Free Jaffa
                            B) Remnants of the Tok'ra
                            C) Lucian Alliance
                            D) Nox
                            E) Wraith, both Atlantis aligned and others.
                            F) independent human worlds all over the place (Travelers/ etc)

Along with the unknown

A) left over Asgard, both evil and "good"
                            B) left over Ancients
                            C) Left over asurans
                            D) left over replicators
                            E) goa'uld survivors/other system lords i.e. fanon creations, or analogues like Linvirs.

So those are the major powers, or thereabouts (apologies if I forgot or missed one, but they could probably be introduced into the mechanics)

So, with those powers out there... and the Tauri basically reigning supreme with Asgard-powered starships and technology capable of destroying suns/systems... what do they do?

They hide it because they have to. They hide their tech, they bury it, they use it sparsely... because otherwise the newly resurrected replicator-goa'uld hybrid (if we can have goa'uld/ancient, or replicator/human, why not?) Apophis will focus on them and bring them to heel.

It's an idea that uses an old threat (really two of them) and melds together existing knowledge of SG-1's quirks "Replicators hone in on advanced tech" and gives allowances for story-choices to effectively "depower" the protagonist (SG-1/Earthlings).

Introduce us to a setting where the Tauri on top hear rumors coming from old goa'uld controlled worlds of new Jaffa appearing and threatening worlds with destruction if they don't bow to their old gods and resume worship of the Goa'uld.

Not because the new reborn Apophis needs their worship like the Ori... but for a much more simple and diabolical reason.

He wants it. Let the humans go toe to toe with him at first. Let them even win a few, but like Germany vs Russia in WW2... let them realize the hopelessness of their cause. Either send them fleeing off Earth into the galaxy (more akin to Farscape then SGU) to recruit unknown or old allies (Nox/Tollan survivors/Furlings/travelers). Sure there are logical plot holes to some of this, but frankly there have been plot holes in every work of fiction from the ancient times to now... I mean just look at Daniel's Grandfather for examples of "wells left unexplored".

These stories could be told by a semi-decent writer, a reboot like Nick says would just toss everything that's important about the Stargate story and leave the Stargate. No thanks. There is a reason why when SG-1 started up it brought in the characters directly from the movie. They knew the fans would love it. Who couldn't love the dichotomy between ONeill and ONeil?

Anyways, I believe there is a lot of opportunity to renew Stargate, they just need to have the sight to see it... and bring in the passionate creatives that love Stargate and the stories it told. I know they are out there... like myself.

Comment

Quite like what Renown says here.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks on all your input on what could be the possible future of Stargate! Sorry for The disappearance act I pulled.... Something really bad happened and it's still ongoing... If you'd like to read what it is I posted it and off-topic chatter and I'd really appreciate it if you took a look... Attack on topic I'm loving your theories and your opinions on what could be! I know not everyone has the same opinion as me, that doesn't mean I can't respect them. Or even agree with some of them

Later
                                -Frank
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X