No announcement yet.

Are we getting any closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think FH is being too nice, please allow me to drop in some raw comments.

How about you give us something new instead of begging for more likes? I'm one of the chosen countries and honestly it makes me sick to see all those fans excluded.

I've participated in the tweet storm.
    I've participated when Origins aired, posted, commented, liked, quizzed.
    I've been lied to over and over again about ''INCREDIBLE NEWS COMING FOR SG!''

All this lead to a table top game.

F*** off and show the fans some respect.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

And my two cents:

I did not only participate in the tweet storm, I helped organize it as a "representative of the Netherlands".

I participated in the Super Fan contest, and while I did not win, they indicated I was a finalist and that they were impressed with my artwork and wanted to get in touch with me "by the end of the month" (this was in March).

I began writing fan fiction and making fan art many years ago, and while I never got far enough to get it out there, I did finally make something I was proud of (which is what I showed in the Super Fan video, and which led to what I mentioned above). Since then I wanted to continue working on that and maybe more, hoping SGC/Tongal would get around to contact me. They still haven't.

Here I was excited to maybe become more than just a fan, busy with fan art while eagerly waiting for a response that would never come. I was ready to invest almost all of my spare time, and a lot of my hard-earned money, to get involved. All these things, lack of coverage, lack of interest, lack of news, isn't really making me want to remain a fan. There isn't even any legal way to watch any Stargate here, except if you bought the DVDs. Well, who would do that if they don't even know what Stargate is? And it's been a record time since I last used my DVDs, in the whole fifteen years since I started to collect them.

This is not how fans should be treated, least of all if MGM wants those fans to essentially invest in something new.

EDIT: And while I personally am quite interested in the RPG, I do agree with FH's assessment in the other thread that there's no guarantee that MGM will maintain the license. At least long enough to actually "complete" the game. Even the original RPG was canceled way too early, with several supplementary books lined up but never released. And since the announcement specifically mentions SG-1 and the Goa'uld, it would be very limiting if it didn't include material to play with Atlantis or Universe, or against the Ori.
      Last edited by NickEast; 14 June 2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Chaka has spoken.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        I did not only participate in the tweet storm...
        That was literally the first time in my twitter-years that I ended up in twitter-jail.
        Luckily, I was jailed at the end of the storm.

...wanted to get in touch with me "by the end of the month" (this was in March).
        Time is wibbly-wobbly, and very timey-wimey... and not just in Doctor Who.

But frustrating nevertheless.

I began writing fan fiction and making fan art many years ago...
        Where is this fanfiction of yours?
        So I may give it a curious glance.

...and while I never got far enough to get it out there...
        Even the fanfic? *pouts*

There isn't even any legal way to watch any Stargate here, except if you bought the DVDs. Well, who would do that if they don't even know what Stargate is? And it's been a record time since I last used my DVDs, in the whole fifteen years since I started to collect them.
        Neither over here, and it's with little shame that I admit I've never even played my season 9 and 10 DVD's, nor the recently bought SGU, SGA season 4 and 5, and Continuum and Ark of Truth.

This is not how fans should be treated, least of all if MGM wants those fans to essentially invest in something new.
        This.

EDIT: And while I personally am quite interested in the RPG...
        I'll eventually will probably come around to it. Just need to find people who would want to play.
        We can do a video conference maybe.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It is so sad when you have to beg for likes and activity. If I would be MGM I would fire the leaders of the SG:C as something has clearly gone wrong since the beginning. Or if they really want to spend money on it then put back the franchise into the sarcophagus instead of teasing us with the return which will never come. False promises are still worse than the sad reality.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

What they should have done is give the go-ahead on Emmerich's and Devlin's movie trilogy in a form of a 3-season show and not gamble with "Yeah the original creators had a super idea of doing SG as a feature movie trilogy so let's just do that and see how far things go!" concept. What they should have done is have the two to rewrite the original movie as a 15-episode season, film it with a respectful production budget and test the waters with that. If successful, make the remaining two 15-episode seasons. Film the more important/key scenes with a bigger budget so when everything's complete, just edit those scenes togheter and form a feature trilogy and show it at a special event with a big crowd of SG fans present. Game over. Done. And the possibility of future spin-offs assured.

Comment

Sorry, Mnikolic, but that opportunity has gone. The spinoff exist, the story evolved, the whole stargate as an intergalactic network evolved. We can't let the 15 years long tv heritage be forgotten and skipped. I am strongly against any reboot or direct movie continuation.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Besides 15 episodes is too much -- 6 or 8 is the max.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                  What they should have done is give the go-ahead on Emmerich's and Devlin's movie trilogy in a form of a 3-season show and not gamble with "Yeah the original creators had a super idea of doing SG as a feature movie trilogy so let's just do that and see how far things go!" concept. What they should have done is have the two to rewrite the original movie as a 15-episode season, film it with a respectful production budget and test the waters with that..
                  Predictably they dropped Emmerich when the Independence Day sequel flopped. He hasn't made a good movie in years, and there's no indication that I'm aware of that he could handle a TV show. (I haven't seen his and Devlin's 1998 TV show, "The Visitors," so I don't know why that failed and if it was their fault or not.)

That's problematic not only for MGM, but for their chances of selling such a show to a network. An important reason why they tried to move forward with a movie franchise is because it's something they were able to greenlight and produce largely by themselves. With a TV show that would cost as much as Stargate would, they've needed a network (or streaming service) to agree to pay the lion's share of the budget, which means a network has to believe that the project and its creators could successfully get them the ratings they need to earn back their investment.

If I was a network executive and someone was pitching me 15 episodes written by Emmerich that would be a hard pass. I like his Stargate movie, but he's largely been putting out event movies since then that are light on story and big on mindless action.

Also, Emmerich was the one who pitched a movie trilogy. There's no indication that he would've been happy doing a TV show. His plan was to bring to life his original story ideas with some updates, not redo them entirely to create three 15 hour story arcs.

If successful, make the remaining two 15-episode seasons. Film the more important/key scenes with a bigger budget so when everything's complete, just edit those scenes togheter and form a feature trilogy and show it at a special event with a big crowd of SG fans present. Game over. Done. And the possibility of future spin-offs assured
                  That wouldn't work too well for MGM unless they were able to sell the show to select outlets. HBO, Netflix and other streaming services have been pushing production companies into deals where they (HBO, Netflix, etc.) get the syndication rights in exchange for paying the entire budget of each season and for paying the production company a certain amount of money. It's a little more complicated than that, but this structuring arrangement generally allows for someone like MGM to make money on a show even if it doesn't make it to 5 seasons. In a more traditional arrangement the studio has to pay up to 1/3rd of each season's production budget but in return they own all of the syndication rights, so after around the 5-year mark they're able to start making their money back.

Most shows never make it to 5 years. It's the small percentage that do which pay for all the short-lived series, but every show with this business arrangement is made in the hopes that syndication money is in the pipeline. Someone like Netflix may want short-lived shows because of how their business model is structured, but no studio that sells a series to a network under the standard deal where they have to pay upwards of 1/3rds of its budget is going to greenlight something that they intend to end after 3 seasons. To do so would to be greenlight something that they'd know they'd be unlikely to recoup their investment for.

I'm also unclear how they're supposed to make a coherent ~2 hour feature by culling "the more important/key scenes" from a 15 hour story.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 23 June 2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                    Also, Emmerich was the one who pitched a movie trilogy.
                    I maintain that this is Devlin/Emmerich nonsense, that this "original plan" thing one or both of them love to mention is just to rile up the Stargate fanbase and keep their names out there. There's no indication in any way shape or form that the original film was meant to be more than a one-off. Heck, up to that point (and possibly even still?), it was the only one of their movies to conclude on a "The End" card.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      I maintain that this is Devlin/Emmerich nonsense, that this "original plan" thing one or both of them love to mention is just to rile up the Stargate fanbase and keep their names out there. There's no indication in any way shape or form that the original film was meant to be more than a one-off. Heck, up to that point (and possibly even still?), it was the only one of their movies to conclude on a "The End" card.
                      They started publicly campaigning to complete their "original trilogy" in 2006 and were very overtly trying to pressure MGM by building fan support for the idea. At the time they released new details like the idea that the second film was supposed to be set 12 years after the mission to Abydos.

However, talk of sequel plans predates the TV series. One way that it would come up is in connection to a series of books that sought to pick up after the events of the movie. Although it did its own thing, the author was said to have used Emmerich and Devlin's notes for planned sequels to some unknown degree. I can't find a reliable source for this at present. Locating reports that far back for niche subjects on the Internet is often difficult these days.

Here, though, is Gateworld's original 2006 report on the campaign to complete the original trilogy where they note that knowledge of the sequels predates said campaign:

Though fans have often assumed that Devlin’s untold story eventually made its way into his film “Independence Day” (about an alien invasion of Earth thwarted by a brash pilot and a geeky scientist) or Bill McCay’s series of five “Stargate” novels, the second film would in fact pick up 12 years after the original. The films would continue the story where it left off, when Jack O’Neil left Daniel Jackson on the planet Abydos.

Source: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/...rgate-sequels/

Here now is a 1994 article, unrelated to the books, where Devlin references two follow-ups to their Stargate movie:

What about a sequel? "If the movie is successful, there would be two other parts," said Devlin.

Source: https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1994-10-29-3008800-story.html

If I had more time, I'd do a deeper dive. This is all I could pull up from a cursory search.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 24 June 2019, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X