Are we getting any closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we getting any closer?

Been reading and watching for any news of Stargate's return. Seems to be some teasing. I have done rewatches of all of the Stargates. Just seems like it's taking forever for MGM to decide. If there is any way we can nudge them a bit put it out there.

Originally posted by bschultz View Post
    Been reading and watching for any news of Stargate's return. Seems to be some teasing. I have done rewatches of all of the Stargates. Just seems like it's taking forever for MGM to decide. If there is any way we can nudge them a bit put it out there.
    Nope. I refuse to believe in false gods teasers for the past year or so.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

We have talked about it here : https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...and-SGC/page50

The only thing what we know that they know what we don't know what they know.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Stargate is essentially a "failed property", not because of its appeal, we all love stargate here, its a failure of MGM and it's end stage designers.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Stargate is essentially a "failed property", not because of its appeal, we all love stargate here, its a failure of MGM and it's end stage designers.
          This. Pretty much.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We can still fix it. Hopefully.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I don't know what needs to be "fixed"
              It's surprising to me that a property that MGM held onto through all but a total collapse is so dismissive of it now.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Don't be overdramatic. Just because we are stuck in a black hole and half of the ship is already swallowed by eternal darkness, we still have chance to survive.

But back to seriousness. I have meant "fixing" to start with these steps :
                1. customer relationship (extension, foreign language, foreign subtitle, working app)
                2. new BW written SG movie(s) / mini show(s) / spin-off(s)
                3. better and higher quality merchandise products

Comment

Platschu for stargate president!
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Platschu for stargate president!
                    I wish. Thanks. Great power great responsibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Platschu for stargate president!GOD
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Not to trying to be a party pooper but honestly I think it's going to be quite a while. Eventually MGM may choose to do something further with the franchise if it feels fresh and new but as it stands I think the fandom for Stargate is simply too small, both in terms of die hard fans and casual fans.

That being said. I think the rebuilding of the Star Trek franchise might give it its best shot. If Sci-fi starts having more mainstream popularity again then it might be the rigjt time for it. But MGM need to get on the wagon before another new sci-fi show comes along. Right now we have Star Trek Discovery, two more Trek shows coming up, The Orville and The Expanse. Bringing Stargate back and fitting it on the right broadcaster might work. Just as long as it isn't sy-fy
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Oh thank you, guys. I am sure that you are as good and loyal fans as me.

P-90_177 is right and that is the reason I have talked in the MGM new series thread (around page 50-51) about the other scifi shows and games what are on the market. I've tried to imagine a few times what if I could be like a superfan / showrunner / producer / manager of the SG brand. So I would examine the Stargate as a property, we have to establish and state what were and are we really good at, what was really working, how "our" show is better from the others, what aspects of life / interest / science / style has covered what the otherd couldn't. We should also look around what the others provide, what are their rating, their target audience, their budhet, their marketing campaign, what artistic and television genre style do they use to grab their own viewers. We should also state what was not working, what went wrong, what could be improved as the main focus is creating such a tv show from as less money as possible, while it should look like as expensive as possible and which can gain the attention of old and new viewers. I believe the core of the brand should still be the customer service. That one doesn't need necesserily new shows as we have got such a big television heritage, just to maintain and to max out the current resources and franchise segments, while it can please every side. I would talk about such things in L. A. with the "leadership" that they have forgotten to care about the fan community in the wild revival process. Poor and minimally satisfying service is not good enough as just imagine yourself at your workplace. If you would provide such lazy attitude, you would be fired after a week... We deserve better and we could be better. There are hardly any life on SG:C, because they assumed millions of fans will register and pay there, but that is a long distance goal and they have chosen the wrong way to reach it. I understand the owners if they want as much as income as possible with the smallest investment, but if they can not and don't want to extend the service, then why have they expected it will be successfull? Nostalgia won't sell everything. They should have made an Origins type of "smaller budget SG movie" every 3-6 months as that would be a great start to pull people there and to make them stay as well. They were not bothered to make a proper forum, just a message board, where the more serious conversations are all lost as more and more new posts shows up. Now try to imagine what would happen if there could be 5000 active members out of 1 million registered paying customers? It would be a flooded mess. But small community, small activity. I have really tired to maintain somehow the buzz, because the message board could be better for visual communication (like pictures), while a proper forum for talk about episodes and cons. Since we have got the GW here in the last 20 years, this is the best and the oldest SG forum. I could feel it on SG:C how the last glimpse of enthusiasm started to fade away after the premier of Catherine, then the promises, promises and promises made disappointed even the most loyal fans... Now maybe 5-20 people are willing to communicate on the SG:C day by day, so I am sorry to say, but the app has failed. And not because SG fans would have died out or we don't like this franchise anymore, simply because it was badly advertised, wrongly communicated, full of glitches, 90% of the world is closed out, hardly any moderator activity happen. So what have they expected? Somehow I feel this Superfan contest will be also just a lie, if they can not change their behaviour. Superfans can suggest whatever they want, if the leadership's attitude doesn't change. Entertaining a community with articles, videos, quizes must come from heart, not just because you are paid for it. And I believe somehow the soul of the fandom has been a bit lost when we could all feel how material it became. Onthe hand they could also say, that what are we expecting for 20 dollars for a year? You know I wouldn't mind to pay more often, if I would know that I am getting new movies or episodes and a really good fan experience. Maybe I have sounded a bit too negative, but that is how I see the app at the moment. It must be fixed, updated then find the right people who can serve the community with ideas, so the satisfaction level could increase and people could feel themselves home. As I have said it before, I would expect the SG:C to be equivalent to my own SG DVDs, like an easier accessable digital version of it. And then while the service of the app is improving, they could revive the franchise. Similar to the Marvel, they should make a 5 years plan and step by step increase the quantity and quality what they can afford. The app needs new paying customers, customers need new live action materials. It is not impossible to make these two interest to cover each other.
                          Last edited by Platschu; 01 March 2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Games. Don't forget games.

Technically, what I actually mean, is that Stargate both deserves and needs a bigger franchise than just the TV series as it has now. The current comics and novels just feel "tacked on" rather than an expansion of the franchise, compared to, say, Star Wars. For an Expanded Universe, they're really too distant from the core of the franchise to be seen as "expanding the universe". Of course, it all goes back to MGM's terrible track record with marketing, promotion, and management of the "Stargate" IP.

That they want to keep Stargate going is one thing. But if they don't have the capability and resources to pull it off, any attempt is going to be futile and therefore useless. Moreover, it could actually work counter-intuitively and ruin the brand (even more). They would need a really big investment to kickstart (no pun intended) a "new era", either by themselves investing a massive budget (unlikely), getting other (large) investors/studios involved (likewise unlikely), and/or to get freelancers involved who can work independently (as in, licensing the "Stargate" brand to, say, established game developers and comic publishers, or indies who can get the funding separately).

Essentially, the way I see it, is that MGM should modernize and "open up" the brand to allow external writers/artists/developers/filmmakers a real chance to spin up the franchise, rather than keep it entirely in-house and closed off. And I don't mean just letting fans make "fan-fiction" and then have them sign away their rights to it, I mean actually opening up the brand to license it out to those who can actually make something really worthwhile, no matter who they are, and then receive the licensing fees for it as usual.
                            Last edited by NickEast; 01 March 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                              Games. Don't forget games.

Technically, what I actually mean, is that Stargate both deserves and needs a bigger franchise than just the TV series as it has now. The current comics and novels just feel "tacked on" rather than an expansion of the franchise, compared to, say, Star Wars. For an Expanded Universe, they're really too distant from the core of the franchise to be seen as "expanding the universe". Of course, it all goes back to MGM's terrible track record with marketing, promotion, and management of the "Stargate" IP.

That they want to keep Stargate going is one thing. But if they don't have the capability and resources to pull it off, any attempt is going to be futile and therefore useless. Moreover, it could actually work counter-intuitively and ruin the brand (even more). They would need a really big investment to kickstart (no pun intended) a "new era", either by themselves investing a massive budget (unlikely), getting other (large) investors/studios involved (likewise unlikely), and/or to get freelancers involved who can work independently (as in, licensing the "Stargate" brand to, say, established game developers and comic publishers, or indies who can get the funding separately).

Essentially, the way I see it, is that MGM should modernize and "open up" the brand to allow external writers/artists/developers/filmmakers a real chance to spin up the franchise, rather than keep it entirely in-house and closed off. And I don't mean just letting fans make "fan-fiction" and then have them sign away their rights to it, I mean actually opening up the brand to license it out to those who can actually make something really worthwhile, no matter who they are.
                              In some ways I think Stargate kind of backed itself into a corner with how it progressed. If they continued the story from where it left off then you would have a show that doesn’t really appeal to a new casual audience because part of Stargate’s novelty is that it is set in the modern day. And yet as of when Stargate finished we had ships powerful enough to take and destroy all our enemies with no problems. Stargate was and is at its best when it’s about us being the underdog, which is why the widely accepted best seasons of each show are still SG-1 1-7 , Atlantis seasons 1-2 and SGU as a whole because it was when humanity was constantly on the back foot. The showrunners did build up a universe, but it was a universe where we were very nearly at the end of the story by the time the shows finished.

So if the brand really can be opened up again to new opportunities then it really needs to be a reboot.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X