Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milky Way Stargate's and Intergalactic Dialing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milky Way Stargate's and Intergalactic Dialing??

Hi there Everyone,
    After re-watching the episode "The Fifth Race" were Jack had his fist encounter with the Ancient Head-Sucker (His words) He updated the human built DHD with the software and firmware to allow it to dial to another galaxy and he also built the power booster to allow the Human built DHD controlling/powering the Stargate to dial out.

The Question I have is:- If a milky way Stargate has its companion DHD can you just punch in an eight symbol address and have it connect without having to attach an external power booster?? Do the milky way DHD's have the power to make the intergalactic connection by themselves?? Also does the DHD have the software to allow intergalactic dialling??
    I'd love to hear my fellow stargate fans thoughts on this matter.

Originally posted by Cmdr Sean Coll View Post
    Hi there Everyone,
    After re-watching the episode "The Fifth Race" were Jack had his fist encounter with the Ancient Head-Sucker (His words) He updated the human built DHD with the software and firmware to allow it to dial to another galaxy and he also built the power booster to allow the Human built DHD controlling/powering the Stargate to dial out.

The Question I have is:- If a milky way Stargate has its companion DHD can you just punch in an eight symbol address and have it connect without having to attach an external power booster?? Do the milky way DHD's have the power to make the intergalactic connection by themselves?? Also does the DHD have the software to allow intergalactic dialling??
    No... Basically. Or at least not that we know of but we can assume that the SGC no doubt gave that a go to try getting to Atlantis at first or to try re-dialling the Asgard homeworld after O’Neill got back in the 5th Race, Like I bet it would have been the first thing Carter would have tried just on the off chance the offworld DHD’s had the power.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So basically we don't know, huh??

Comment

It may have been mentioned at some point but I don’t recall, but I think the fact that they didn’t actually use the off-world gates for this purpose is a fairly definitive sign that they don’t have the power or capability.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr Sean Coll View Post
          Hi there Everyone,

I can't see why a standard DHD couldn't dial either. Given, of course, that sufficient power is provided. A MW gate couldn't dial a Pegasus gate by itself simply because of the power requirements.

The way I see it, a DHD is just the dialing pad / capacitor, the gate is the battery, you need to combine more batteries if you want to go further.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I believe I talked about this a few times. If they ever make a next SG spinoff, they should address the "malfunctions" of the stargate system. Simply it is not logical that a portal building race would make such mistakes that complete planets will explode if you dial an address. I can also not believe that they would build such a device which can accidentally kill people (if they step in the kawoosh or if they dial a black hole or if they dial a toxic atmosphere or to die on an energy field / Iris / barrier mechanism or if simply the gate has fallen on the ground in a natural disaster). Somehow I always imagined that they had a masterplan how they want to give their heritage to the younger races. Theoratically it was built for themselves, then they almost died out, but their technology has fallen into new hands. Earlier I was brainstorming that what if there was a hub / control station of the stargate network, but since that one is moved / destroyed / turned off, the stargate network doesn't work on full capacity. They could see the gate activity there like a "server" or they could have sent out units to repair malfunctioning gates. I believe the Icarus base dialed "wrongly" the 9 address coordinate and they haven't used an additional Ancient tech or something what leaded to the catastrophy. Why would the Ancients put a 9th chevron on every stargate (including the prototypes in the Universe spinoff) if only a few planets can dial it?
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              I believe I talked about this a few times. If they ever make a next SG spinoff, they should address the "malfunctions" of the stargate system. Simply it is not logical that a portal building race would make such mistakes that complete planets will explode if you dial an address. I can also not believe that they would build such a device which can accidentally kill people (if they step in the kawoosh or if they dial a black hole or if they dial a toxic atmosphere or to die on an energy field / Iris / barrier mechanism or if simply the gate has fallen on the ground in a natural disaster). Somehow I always imagined that they had a masterplan how they want to give their heritage to the younger races. Theoratically it was built for themselves, then they almost died out, but their technology has fallen into new hands. Earlier I was brainstorming that what if there was a hub / control station of the stargate network, but since that one is moved / destroyed / turned off, the stargate network doesn't work on full capacity. They could see the gate activity there like a "server" or they could have sent out units to repair malfunctioning gates. I believe the Icarus base dialed "wrongly" the 9 address coordinate and they haven't used an additional Ancient tech or something what leaded to the catastrophy. Why would the Ancients put a 9th chevron on every stargate (including the prototypes in the Universe spinoff) if only a few planets can dial it?
              In the case of Destiny, keep in mind that they never intended the ship to be so far out before they went there. The power required to connect a wormhole is related to the distance travelled. It’s likely that the Ancients originally intended to dial the 9th chevron when it was much closer to the Milky Way. Meanwhile they probably banked on being able to develop better power sources over time as Destiny got further and further away, or at the very least, failing that, just power the gate off of a few dozen ZPM’s, which is clearly something humans don’t have access to in such numbers. Their use of a Naquadria rich planet is simply a necessity which the Ancients did not need to worry about.

Comment

I mean there must be other 9 chevron addresses, because why would they put it on every stargate? It feels like it was a safety feature or some other function what could be used day by day. Maybe Earth and the Lucian Alliance hasn't got the right energy level, but I am pretty sure the Ancients haven't planned their own system to be one-way. Just imagine they want to visit some crewmembers on Destiny. They won't sacrifice a planet every single time.

Atlantis and the 8 chevron addresses were different, because they tried to explain at least that there were different control chrystals which could prevent to dial Atlantis or Earth from the other galaxy. But since the gate has exploded in season 5, I am not so sure if those chrystals were replaced....

Not to mention that if they make a direct continuation they have to explain what Earth has done with two gates. If Atlantis was flown to the Moon to change it into a Moonbase then maybe the other MW gate was still workable in the SGC. And don't forget that the Superhive also had a second Pegasus type gate, what could have landed on Earth after the explosion. But I am guessing they have written the season finale on that way that the Mark X or XI or whatever bomb has vaporized the Pegasus gate as well. But if it isn't that what if it has ended up in the hands of China or the Trust (Athena). If it is moved away from our solar system, then they can dial in to Atlantis and to occupy the city...

Then I was thinking in brainstorming thread if the seeder ship has gone through the Pegasus galaxy, then what if they find an abadonned Destiny gate in the Milky Way or in the Pegasus galaxy. That could be essential to save the Destiny. Or they could talk to the Gadmeer who examined thousands of solar systems, so maybe they can find a third Icarus type of planet.

I would like to see new stargate systems, new gate functions in the next-gen SG shows. This franchise still has got so much potential to expand itself.
                Last edited by Platschu; 26 February 2019, 11:58 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Atlantis and the 8 chevron addresses were different, because they tried to explain at least that there were different control chrystals which could prevent to dial Atlantis or Earth from the other galaxy. But since the gate has exploded in season 5, I am not so sure if those chrystals were replaced....
                  The control crystal would've been in Atlantis' version of a DHD, which was not destroyed.

Not to mention that if they make a direct continuation they have to explain what Earth has done with two gates. If Atlantis was flown to the Moon to change it into a Moonbase then maybe the other MW gate was still workable in the SGC.
                  The moon is too close for a gate to work both there and on Earth. One has to supersede the other.

Also, if a spin-off set on Earth (and not on Atlantis) came out they'd probably say Atlantis was back in the Pegasus Galaxy or destroyed so as not to have to deal with it since rebuilding the sets would be too expensive and it would rile fans knowing it was right there and not used.

And don't forget that the Superhive also had a second Pegasus type gate, what could have landed on Earth after the explosion.

But if it isn't that what if it has ended up in the hands of China or the Trust (Athena).
                  Apophis also had a gate on his ship when it was destroyed and that one was forgotten about completely.

In the case of the Superhive gate, a 304 will probably just collect it and move it to a more desirable location unless, as you say, it fell to Earth an a foreign power grabbed it first.

But I am guessing they have written the season finale on that way that the Mark X or XI or whatever bomb has vaporized the Pegasus gate as well.
                  There's a line in the finale where Carter says one nuke is not going to be enough to take out the Superhive and Sheppard responds by saying that it wouldn't be if fired on its hull, but would be if he gets inside. If that was a Mark IX that should not be true as one is capable of vaporizing everything within a 100 mile radius. While the Superhive may have had a super thick hull, the idea that it could stand up to a Mark IX when a Stargate cannot seems unlikely.

Then I was thinking in brainstorming thread if the seeder ship has gone through the Pegasus galaxy, then what if they find an abadonned Destiny gate in the Milky Way or in the Pegasus galaxy. That could be essential to save the Destiny. Or they could talk to the Gadmeer who examined thousands of solar systems, so maybe they can find a third Icarus type of planet.
                  One thing to consider is that the SGU gates seeded in Pegasus may not be able to survive to present day, even if they were not collected and disposed of by the Ancients. We've seen that they can be destroyed by weapons fire, so environmental damage likely would have erased all signs of the earliest seeded gates by now.

Comment

I believe the controll chrystals were in the gate not in the DHD as Atlantis hasn't got a traditional DHD anyway.

I believe they also stated in "Chain Reaction" that the gate has survived the Mark IX as even the wormhole was still connected to the destroyed planet. But anyway, you are right that we don't need more Stargate on Earth as even Apophis's gate could be there somewhere. Maybe it is still floating away from our solar system...

We don't know how the different gates would work together. It was already odd that McKay could reprogram the Pegasus gate in minutes to be able to dial an MW gate. I know he is our SG superhero, but it didn't look right.

Maybe the two gates (Pegasus gate on the Moon base in Atlanis) and the MW gate in SGC gate could still work together in close distance, but you are right they stated something that P gate gained priority over the MW gate. It would be funny to see a ring transport between the Moon base and SGC / Homeworld.

If they start a new MW spinoff they should find a creative and logic reasons why they can not show Atlantis or the SGC interiors. That is the reason I suggested that maybe the SGC should be attacked and exploded, so while they will rebuild (and repaint it), they could make a new, modern version of SGC if the new spinoff must be placed on Earth anyway. Or they should really turn it into a Museum like in 2010, while Atlantis could fly back to Pegasus galaxy.

It could be interesting to see an U-gate left behind in the MW or P system. So it still could be a working stargate, so they could dial in, but it can dial just those stargate what are in the near. Or even such "hidden" stargates could be on known planets just the MW gates has gained priority when the Goa'uld planted them and they were not aware of the old U gate. Maybe not all of them were collected back by the Ancients, but since the U gates were the oldest, then technically those ones must have been the "starting set" even in the Milky Way.
                    Last edited by Platschu; 27 February 2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I believe the controll chrystals were in the gate not in the DHD as Atlantis hasn't got a traditional DHD anyway.
                      McKAY: It is, but that's because it's the only one with an additional control crystal that allows an eighth chevron to lock.

SHEPPARD: It's probably a security measure.

McKAY: It doesn't matter. As long as we have the control crystal, I can make the other Gate work.

WEIR: You're suggesting we remove it from our D.H.D. and bring it to M5S-224?

McKAY: Yes.

-Home

In the next scene we see him come up from under Atlantis' specially designed DHD panel with the control crystal in hand.

I believe they also stated in "Chain Reaction" that the gate has survived the Mark IX as even the wormhole was still connected to the destroyed planet.
                      The reason it didn't work is because it wasn't a Mark IX. The Mark IX was introduced in season 9 and uses naquadria. "Chain Reaction" was a full season before naquadria was introduced, and it used regular naquadah.

Also the only ones who thought it would destroy a Stargate were the NID. When Carter learned the plan was to set off a chain reaction, she immediately said that the problem was that the wormhole would still be active, so what they did there would translate back to them. General Bauer countered by saying that his intelligence informed him that the Stargate would be destroyed, prompting Carter to respond with skepticism.

Maybe the two gates (Pegasus gate on the Moon base in Atlanis) and the MW gate in SGC gate could still work together in close distance, but you are right they stated something that P gate gained priority over the MW gate. It would be funny to see a ring transport between the Moon base and SGC / Homeworld.
                      They definitely wouldn't. The distance between the Earth and the Moon is much shorter than the distance Earth travels around the sun in a year, and that doesn't change the gate address. Nor does the distance that the Earth travels when the Sun moves within the span of a limited number of years. It takes thousands of years of stellar drift before a gate address will change, so each address corresponds to a wide area of space. Anywhere in that area will cause a conflict. They can disable a gate so it won't conflict, but they can't run two active Stargate programs on Earth and on the moon at the same time.

If they start a new MW spinoff they should find a creative and logic reasons why they can not show Atlantis or the SGC interiors. That is the reason I suggested that maybe the SGC should be attacked and exploded, so while they will rebuild (and repaint it), they could make a new, modern version of SGC if the new spinoff must be placed on Earth anyway. Or they should really turn it into a Museum like in 2010, while Atlantis could fly back to Pegasus galaxy.
                      I would also assume that they'd create a reason to build new, modernized sets for a new SGC in a new location by saying something happened to the old one and sending Atlantis away.

It could be interesting to see an U-gate left behind in the MW or P system. So it still could be a working stargate, so they could dial in, but it can dial just those stargate what are in the near. Or even such "hidden" stargates could be on known planets just the MW gates has gained priority when the Goa'uld planted them and they were not aware of the old U gate. Maybe not all of them were collected back by the Ancients, but since the U gates were the oldest, then technically those ones must have been the "starting set" even in the Milky Way.
                      I again really don't think they can withstand the ravishes of that much time since they weren't built out of materials that can withstand weapons fire. It's like expecting to find evidence of a skyscraper millions of years after humans went extinct.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 10 March 2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Okay, they can make a Mars base then... I was just talking about how any future SG project should deal with different versions of the gate system. Even if they could just talk about it, it could be a nice connection the three previous shows.

Comment

Okay, they can make a Mars base then... I was just talking about how any future SG project should deal with different versions of the gate system. Even if they could just talk about it, it could be a nice connection the three previous shows.
                          I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t work from anywhere within the solar system in reality. You could be on Pluto and it would still be too close to Earth’s location.

Comment

Right. Mars can be as close as ~34 million miles away from Earth to as far as ~250 million miles. Earth, meanwhile, is ~93 million miles away from the sun, so if you track it today and you track it again half a year from now when it is on the opposite side of the sun, it will be over 186 miles away from its previous location (not really, but more on this later).

|Earth Today| -----93 million miles----- |Sun| -----93 million miles----- |Earth half a year from now|

Note: The is sun is about half a million miles around.

The same address works all year round, so it should also work on Mars.

As for that little bit in the parenthesis: The sun also travels in space each year as it moves around the galactic core and it takes everything in the solar system with it, so the amount the Earth moves is much greater than the simplified version I presented earlier. Yet in 10+ years the address has remained the same.

Gate addresses point to fixed points in space that the Ancients designated. It's possible for two different gate addresses to work in two different parts of a solar system as the solar system transitions into a new fixed point of space. For example:

|Mars Today| --- |Boundary between gate addresses | --- |Earth half a year from now| --- |Sun| --- |Earth Today|

That, however, only represents a small portion of Mars' orbit. The majority of the year it would be to the right of the boundary with Earth. To complicate matters further, the boundary is not going to stay there very long. In the span of a martian year the sun will pull Mars completely over the boundary, so the amount of time two different gate addresses could work on Earth and Mars would, if it happened at all, be very small.
                            Last edited by Xaeden; 10 March 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Guys, you take it too seriously. I was just joking. They really wanted to turn Atlantis into a Moon base, so I am guessing the SG:C would have been closed down or turn into a museum how they planned it in the Ashen timelime.

It could be interesting to see an American President who is against offworld activity, maybe they could build the new SG projects around this facts.

But since Atlantis will fly back to the Pegasus galaxy anyway (at least in the comics and in the books as an alternate timeline), the problem will solve itself. There won't be two gates in our solar system. Just I was thinking how easily McKay reprogrammed and synchronized the Pegasus DHD on the Wraith superhive in the series finale, so it is not impossible to have even two gates. This is scifi, so they can write some stories about it how the MW gate would be used for SGC operations, while the priority would be given back to the Atlantis gate while they would develop some new type of jumpers in area51.

If there is going to be a Moon base (with an MW gate) then they could still make a direct connection to the SGC or Homeworld Security with ring transport. So SGC would be closed down / destroyed / suspended, while the Army would move their operative in a shielded carter of the Moon. That could be the new base for a new SG movie.

Just why would they build a Moon base if any of the X304 ships could fill a similar role? That is the reason I have said, maybe the MW gate could be moved to the Hammond, which would land on Mars / Moon from a safe distance from Earth.

Or I had some fan fiction idea, what if they could discover a Furling "moon door" teleportation system on Earth (like in the Paradise Lost) which has connected Mexico-Egypt/Iraq-Tibet, but we could find out why it is not working nowadays.

But these are just wild ideas. I really would like to see more stargate related explorations in the nextgen SG projects so they could forget or use less the spaceships. Big shields, big firepower, space battles are fine, but the focus should return to the gate system as that is the main title. First contacts, new gate networks, new DHD functions, new allies and enemies, new mythology based races and lots of adventure. I believe that is what the audience needs when they hear "Stargate".
                              Last edited by Platschu; 10 March 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X