Dune (Villeneuve films) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune (Villeneuve films) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

I don't think we have a thread about this just yet....so let's have one!

A few years back, Legendary Entertainment snagged the TV and film rights to Dune, and has since set about getting a new film adaptation made. The person they hired for this monumental task? Denis Villeneuve--the guy who directed Sicario, Arrival, and most recently, Blade Runner 2049.

Villeneuve seems to recognize that the book is pretty huge to adapt, and is going ahead with adapting it as a two-part film series. The first draft of the script (for the first film) was completed in May 2018, and Brian Herbert (son of Frank Herbert, author of the Dune series) confirmed in July that the script for the first movie covers approximately the first half of the book.

Happy as I am with the director and choice not to try to cram everything into one movie, the casting news that's been coming out over the last few weeks is really stellar:

Timothée Chalamet will play Paul Atreides
    Rebecca Ferguson will play Lady Jessica Atreides
    Oscar Isaac will play Duke Leto Atreides
    Javier Bardem will play Stilgar
    Zendaya will play Chani
    Josh Brolin will play Gurney Halleck
    Stellan Skarsgård will play Baron Harkonnen
    Dave Bautista will play Rabban
    Charlotte Rampling will play the Reverend Mother

There's no timeline for release just yet, but given that they haven't started filming yet, I'd guess we'll see Part 1 sometime next year....and I can't wait!
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 14 February 2019, 05:21 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quite a cast so far!

Comment

Looks like a very intriguing book, will definitely put that on my to read list. And of course will watch the movie 100% sure, I've never been disappointed by Villeneuve's work so far. Also might have to do with the fact that he was born in my dad's hometown, he's literally the superstar here. Support!
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

And then, Jason Momoa entered the picture!

I should stress that it's just "in talks" right now, but apparently he's up for the role of Duncan Idaho.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          Looks like a very intriguing book, will definitely put that on my to read list.
          It's a dense, dense book, but I absolutely love it. I love the sequels too, even though I know they're not as widely hailed as the original.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          And of course will watch the movie 100% sure, I've never been disappointed by Villeneuve's work so far. Also might have to do with the fact that he was born in my dad's hometown, he's literally the superstar here. Support!
          Ahh that's a neat personal tie-in for you! And I agree - love his movies.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Ahh that's a neat personal tie-in for you! And I agree - love his movies.
            I thought Arrival was a masterpiece. And that's coming from a guy that usually enjoys a bit more action in his movies, this one was such a beautiful mind trip, very different from most Alien invasion scenarios.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Filming starts today, and the score is being composed by Hans Zimmer.

Comment

Man, even more star power!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  Man, even more star power!
                  Right? This movie is ridiculously staffed with talent. Avengers movies aside, I can’t remember the last time I saw a movie with this many big names attached to it!

Comment

Oh, and the clapper from the end of the day yesterday. I don't know what most of it means, but it's a neat little moment just the same.

Comment

WarnerMedia has given a straight-to-series order for "Dune: The Sisterhood", a TV series that will follow the machinations and conspiracies of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. The pilot episode will be written by Denis Villeneuve and Jon Spaihts (who wrote the script for the film together), Villeneuve will direct the pilot episode personally, and the series will be executive produced by the pair of them plus Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert as execs representing the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson will also be aboard in a co-producer capacity.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dun...ce-1203238799/

Comment

They seem to have wrapped principal photography around about July 20
                        https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/st...449891842?s=20

Looks like the 2nd Unit wrapped a few days ago (August 2)
                        https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/st...148330498?s=20

Release date of Part 1 has been bumped back by just short of a month, to from Nov 20, 2020 to Dec 18 2020
                        https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...ease-date-news

Filming took place in Norway, Budapest, Jordan, and possibly UAE (unconfirmed). Pretty obvious that Jordan and UAE would be for Arrakis, and I think it's a fair bet that Norway is going to be for Caladan. Not sure about Budapest though - maybe Caladan exteriors?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X