Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Ever notice that if you make a typo in the address bar when you're trying to go to some web site, rather than an error saying that there is no such server, you get a list of "search suggestions" ?

Those suggestions are paid advertising. Your ISP's name servers are programmed to replace the error which says there is no such domain with that list of "suggestions".

That is the most common and least harmful method, but there are other ways this can be misused, too. I posted a link earlier regarding this.
    Understood. Well you seem to know what you're doing, and I command you for assuming your Internet Freedom.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Ok, a little more info for those w/ issues getting OTA reception.

I'm in a bad geographical location for OTA.

I tried a few different indoor antennas, and while I got acceptable performance from a set of amplified rabbit ears. But it was spotty on a few channels.

So I tried an outdoor type, mounted in the attic. Rooftop is not practical here, we get too much harsh weather.

http://www.winegard.com/elite

Note the VHF elements, the longer rods toward the center.

These were just cheap stamped aluminum. I decided to replace them with 3/8 (O.D.) copper tubing I got from a local building supply store. Cut them to the same length, replace the originals with them. (Copper is a VERY good conductor of electricity.)

While no additional channels, I did gain stronger signals on the VHF channels in my area.

It's a cheap, easy modification, might be worth it for some folks.

Comment

Working...
      X