Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Probie

Default Re: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Never mind. That’s Stellification

My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

The suncrusher does this in reverse.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Probie

I?m going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. I?m looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

Asking for something unique is where you’re falling down. This is science fiction. Everything has been done. Like the most unique concept created in recent years by my reckoning is Star Trek Discovery’s Spore Drive and it’s something that has been created as pure make believe (awesome make believe in my opinion but make believe nevertheless.) And in particular Star Wars where as you say galactic society has already reached tier 2 technology if not approaching tier 3.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Probie

Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.

Probie

Studying asteroids is really boring. I’m looking for something to do with Hyperspace? Any ideas?

Probie

I’m looking for something highly advanced

You could work out a supercomputer capable of tracking and predicting the orbits of all asteroids in known space; this data could be used to prevent asteroid strikes on planets, safer hyperspace flight, etc.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    You could work out a supercomputer capable of tracking and predicting the orbits of all asteroids in known space; this data could be used to prevent asteroid strikes on planets, safer hyperspace flight, etc.
    That's a good idea, but not "new". Interdictor cruisers were designed to project gravity wells to replicate such effects in a localized area along high traffic zones or for ship to ship combat, so they are already capable of tracking such information.
    Combine this idea and the old republic holonet, and you might be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That's a good idea, but not "new". Interdictor cruisers were designed to project gravity wells to replicate such effects in a localized area along high traffic zones or for ship to ship combat, so they are already capable of tracking such information.
    Combine this idea and the old republic holonet, and you might be on to something.
    I know the Interdictors use a gravity field to yank ships out of hyperspace.

I was thinking more in the line of collision prevention, which from Han Solo's comments when selling his services to Luke & Ben, could be a factor in safely navigating hyperspace, in addition to catastrophic impacts with inhabited planets.

Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I know the Interdictors use a gravity field to yank ships out of hyperspace.

I was thinking more in the line of collision prevention, which from Han Solo's comments when selling his services to Luke & Ben, could be a factor in safely navigating hyperspace, in addition to catastrophic impacts with inhabited planets.
    Yes.
    I get your idea, and as I said, it's a good one. What I am saying it is not "new", and that's the criteria here.

What would be new is taking your Idea and creating something like unmanned mapping satellite-like creations that can track foreign bodies in the hyperspace lanes and project large enough gravity wells to pull ships out of hyperspace if potential hazards drifted into them. The holo-net, as a real time galaxy wide communication system would be the best method to track such celestial bodies.
    Of course, the issue you have to deal with here is ships being able to override such a system, as what happened in The Last Jedi.

Probie

Yes.
    I get your idea, and as I said, it's a good one. What I am saying it is not "new", and that's the criteria here.

What would be new is taking your Idea and creating something like unmanned mapping satellite-like creations that can track foreign bodies in the hyperspace lanes and project large enough gravity wells to pull ships out of hyperspace if potential hazards drifted into them. The holo-net, as a real time galaxy wide communication system would be the best method to track such celestial bodies.
    Of course, the issue you have to deal with here is ships being able to override such a system, as what happened in The Last Jedi.
    What I got out of this was Hyperspace mapping satellites but I don’t know if that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
    What I got out of this was Hyperspace mapping satellites but I don’t know if that would work.
    Then you should pay attention to the conversation, not just the last post.

Probie

Then you should pay attention to the conversation, not just the last post.
    So what are proposing. Satellites that can yank ships out of Hyperspace if the satellite sees a gravitatational anomaly danger and it’s all tracked by the Holonet

It sounds awesome.

What would you call such a thing?

Probie

Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

So what are proposing. Satellites that can yank ships out of Hyperspace if the satellite sees a gravitatational anomaly danger and it’s all tracked by the Holonet

It sounds awesome.

What would you call such a thing?
    You are the writer, what would YOU call such a thing?

Probie

You are the writer, what would YOU call such a thing?
    Hyperspace safety satellite?

Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
    This is the Quantum realm, you need a unique spin on it.

Probie

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
    Magnets
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.