Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    I know the Interdictors use a gravity field to yank ships out of hyperspace.

I was thinking more in the line of collision prevention, which from Han Solo's comments when selling his services to Luke & Ben, could be a factor in safely navigating hyperspace, in addition to catastrophic impacts with inhabited planets.
    Yes.
    I get your idea, and as I said, it's a good one. What I am saying it is not "new", and that's the criteria here.

What would be new is taking your Idea and creating something like unmanned mapping satellite-like creations that can track foreign bodies in the hyperspace lanes and project large enough gravity wells to pull ships out of hyperspace if potential hazards drifted into them. The holo-net, as a real time galaxy wide communication system would be the best method to track such celestial bodies.
    Of course, the issue you have to deal with here is ships being able to override such a system, as what happened in The Last Jedi.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Yes.
      I get your idea, and as I said, it's a good one. What I am saying it is not "new", and that's the criteria here.

What would be new is taking your Idea and creating something like unmanned mapping satellite-like creations that can track foreign bodies in the hyperspace lanes and project large enough gravity wells to pull ships out of hyperspace if potential hazards drifted into them. The holo-net, as a real time galaxy wide communication system would be the best method to track such celestial bodies.
      Of course, the issue you have to deal with here is ships being able to override such a system, as what happened in The Last Jedi.
      What I got out of this was Hyperspace mapping satellites but I don’t know if that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum7 View Post
        What I got out of this was Hyperspace mapping satellites but I don’t know if that would work.
        Then you should pay attention to the conversation, not just the last post.
        sigpic

Comment

Then you should pay attention to the conversation, not just the last post.
          So what are proposing. Satellites that can yank ships out of Hyperspace if the satellite sees a gravitatational anomaly danger and it’s all tracked by the Holonet

It sounds awesome.

What would you call such a thing?

Comment

Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

Comment

So what are proposing. Satellites that can yank ships out of Hyperspace if the satellite sees a gravitatational anomaly danger and it’s all tracked by the Holonet

It sounds awesome.

What would you call such a thing?
              You are the writer, what would YOU call such a thing?
              sigpic

Comment

You are the writer, what would YOU call such a thing?
                Hyperspace safety satellite?

Comment

Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
                  This is the Quantum realm, you need a unique spin on it.
                  sigpic

Comment

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

Comment

WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
                      Magnets
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
                        Again, you are the writer.
                        It's not like we don't want to help, but you are not asking for help, you are asking for ANSWERS, and we cannot know what is in your head, we just can't.

Chaka said magnets, but in a broader sense, that's gravity. Perhaps your scientist can be working on the effects of creating artificial gravity wells and it's effects on hyperspace lanes and finds that by using interdictors, it alters the lanes themselves?
                        What if one gravity well reduces speed, but he discovers by applying four or five, it actually increases speed by narrowing the hyperspace lane?
                        It's relatively boring, but potentially a game changer.
                        What you call that, that MUST be up to you.
                        sigpic

Comment

Again, you are the writer.
                          It's not like we don't want to help, but you are not asking for help, you are asking for ANSWERS, and we cannot know what is in your head, we just can't.

Chaka said magnets, but in a broader sense, that's gravity. Perhaps your scientist can be working on the effects of creating artificial gravity wells and it's effects on hyperspace lanes and finds that by using interdictors, it alters the lanes themselves?
                          What if one gravity well reduces speed, but he discovers by applying four or five, it actually increases speed by narrowing the hyperspace lane?
                          It's relatively boring, but potentially a game changer.
                          What you call that, that MUST be up to you.
                          Thanks. Yes. I will consider this idea. Picking a name for it will be hard.

Comment

Thanks. Yes. I will consider this idea. Picking a name for it will be hard.
                            Well now we have found something scientific sounding that YOUR scientist can work on, obviously your next question is to ask us all what you can call this research.
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                              Well now we have found something scientific sounding that YOUR scientist can work on, obviously your next question is to ask us all what you can call this research.
                              I feel you're detecting a pattern.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                                I feel you're detecting a pattern.
                                Who sir? Me sir? No sir, not I sir,

(Not much anyway)
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X