Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZPM hogs or.... Who the hell else was going to try and ascend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    (new information for me): The Asgards states that the Ancients used to live in their galaxy prior to their arrival in the Milky Way... hmm... interesting.
    It depends on what he meant by "region." The Asgard may, for example, consider the Milky Way part of their region since it, along with several other galaxies, fall under their sphere of influence.

Same applies to the Asgard saying it wasn't meant for "you." From context it appears like the Asgard are not using it to refer to the human race, but specifically to Jack because the next line goes on to say that humans have the potential to hold all that knowledge in their heads.

As to your question about the Asgard's history with the repository, Thor said the Asgard extracted parts of it, which implies they hacked what they could from it:

THOR
    You cannot even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind. Our scientists, long ago, extracted parts of the Ancient Library of Knowledge, and learned much from it. But we have been studying it for as long as I can remember and we have barely scratched the surface.

-New Order, Part II

Comment

Nice find. I was not aware this information. Well done!

I believe the Asgards could be still used in a next spinoff:

- they could use them as hologram while they are studying their library
      - some Vanirs could fly to the Milky Way and start to act like "Asgard" on the Protected Planets
      - other reality could visit us where the Asgard are still alive
      - time travel to avoid their "Ragnarok"
      - we could find out that they have dialed a 9 chevron address to Valhalla in "Unending", so their planet has exploded not because of the mass suicide, rather they dialed a higher plane to move there (outcome is similar to Ascension)
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
        It depends on what he meant by "region." The Asgard may, for example, consider the Milky Way part of their region since it, along with several other galaxies, fall under their sphere of influence.
        Good catch, re-read the whole thing and I think you're right.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

With the Atlantis expedition opening the ancient data base, would that information not have been shared with the Asgard since the Asgard were then openly serving on Earth Ships in Pegasus?

S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
            With the Atlantis expedition opening the ancient data base, would that information not have been shared with the Asgard since the Asgard were then openly serving on Earth Ships in Pegasus?

S.S.
            I don't think it mattered really, well not at that moment for them. They were losing the war against the replicators. And I would venture a guess that the Asgards knew already much more than the Tau'ri about the matter.

That'd be like a 3rd grader schooling an University teacher
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

So by that point you think the Asgard had the complete ancient data base?

S.S.

Comment

Hm...I think those ancients seem to think everybody just wants to ascend (despite the limitations the ascended face because too many of them have a stick up their ass about interacting with the "lower plains")

As for the learning-devices (we are talking about the face-suckers, right?):

I think they were used by the Ancients instead of school (seriously, why send someone to school for ages if you can give them the knowledge a trained scientist (like Sam Carter or McKay!) has in a few seconds?)...I was frankly surprised that Atlantis didn't have one (or it does and we've never seen it because they seem to think that exploring the city is dumb - instead of making that first priority, even before going off-world!)

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                  I was frankly surprised that Atlantis didn't have one (or it does and we've never seen it because they seem to think that exploring the city is dumb - instead of making that first priority, even before going off-world!)
                  Atlantis had a school. That's what the hologram room was:

WEIR
                  The interface can walk you through your search until I get back. Oh, I should probably warn you, she seemed a little bit patronizing. The program was designed to teach very young children the Lantian systems.

-The Pegasus Project

Comment

Working...
                  X