DHD for Stargate Command?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHD for Stargate Command?

In 10 years of operation, why o why didn’t the SGC ever squire a DHD. Instead of using the conked together computers that first diaries the gate?

S.S.

You mean stealing a DHD from another planet? Obviously you figured out by now that they are good guys and wouldn't do that?

Earth DHD was destroyed when Teal'c was stuck in the gate.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I thought it might have been because a computer is easier to use to search for & dial new gates.

Something like hackers do to find passwords, just run through all possible combinations till something clicks.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        You mean stealing a DHD from another planet? Obviously you figured out by now that they are good guys and wouldn't do that?

To be fair there are more than enough uninhabited planets where they could have swung by with the Prommetheus or Daedalus and taken one.

They probably wouldn’t have been able to do it until they had ships though and by that point it likely had proven more of an asset not to have a DHD than being a detriment. For a start it meant that the earth stargate was not a part of the correlative update program which made it still operational in Avenger 2.0. Additionally it was easier to secure. Anyone can use a DHD. But in an emergency situation you can lock down the computers controlling the Earth gate.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

The Russians had one as I remember and didn't they loan it to SGC to use to get him out of the gate? Have I got that right? As for them being good guys I wasnt suggesting they steal one but simply take one from an uninhabited world. They harvested how many gates from the Milky way for the gate bridge?

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          To be fair there are more than enough uninhabited planets where they could have swung by with the Prommetheus or Daedalus and taken one.

They probably wouldn’t have been able to do it until they had ships though and by that point it likely had proven more of an asset not to have a DHD than being a detriment. For a start it meant that the earth stargate was not a part of the correlative update program which made it still operational in Avenger 2.0. Additionally it was easier to secure. Anyone can use a DHD. But in an emergency situation you can lock down the computers controlling the Earth gate.
          Ok that makes total sense but I would think they would have acquired one as a backup once they did have ships?

S.S.

Comment

They could have taken a DHD from another world at any time. All they had to do was bring a portable power source with them, hook it up to the gate, and dial out manually. Later they referenced being able to put the dialing program on a laptop, which could be sent through the gate along with a generator.

Anyway, Earth's dialing program may have made dialing out slower, but it gave them greater control over the gate. Carter, for example, "sometimes" overrides safety protocols to get a lock. That had negative consequences in "Red Sky," but it has apparently worked "several times." It also enhanced security once they installed palm scanners, which prevent unauthorized access to the dialing program (as opposed to anyone being able to dial out by simply pressing buttons on a DHD).

Of course, this is just in comparison to a normal DHD. The Alpha Site used a hacked DHD at one point, but whether they are able to do all the same things with it or not, I do not know.

Comment

In-universe, it was more because the dialing computer offered so much more control over the gate that it outweighed its disadvantages and the convenience of a DHD.

Out-of-universe, I guess it was more of a "Rule of Cool" kind of thing, including Walter's announc. Plus the added benefit of a delay for dramatic effect with the characters conversing while the gate was dialing.

I guess by now they could've upgraded the software to the point that, as seen with the Alpha Site and Icarus Base, they could operate a DHD like a dialing computer, with the best of both worlds. But, I'd rather they wouldn't, because as puppet Hammond said "spinning is so much cooler than not spinning".

Comment

A Laptop and a Generator? I need to re-watch all of SG-1

Now I will say this the little dialing device Baal and Tealc whipped out in the movie Continuum to dial the Gates off the Achilles and to Baal's time travel planet were pretty cool. I don't remember seeing those used in any other setting?

S.S.
                Last edited by SeaShephard; 06 February 2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

It was referenced in dialogue:

VALA
                  Well, when we fail to make the scheduled check-in, General Landry will dial in, at which point we'll ask him to send a naquadah generator and a laptop with a dialing program and that's that!
                  -Bad Guys, season 10.

I'm not sure when the first reference to the portable generator and manual dial method was made, but here's an early one:

O'NEILL
                  And has anyone seen a DHD in this transmission?

[The camera on the MALP pans around, but shows no sign of the dial home device.]

CARTER
                  He's right.

HAMMOND
                  Maybe you'd better take a naquada reactor with you so you can power up the Gate and dial out manually.
                  -New Ground, season 3.

Earth only got their hands on naquadah generators earlier in season 3. I'm not sure if there are references to dialing the gate with an Earth power sources prior to its introduction, but it should have been possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
                    In 10 years of operation, why o why didn’t the SGC ever squire a DHD. Instead of using the conked together computers that first diaries the gate?

S.S.
                    They were the only "DHD less" destination in the Stargate network in the Milky Way, so they could base some stories why SGC was unique next to the cultural heritage. The other unique step was the Iris as only a few planets used energy shields, but only Earth used this defence from unwanted visitors. Our computersystem was better anyway as lots of diagnostic protocol was built in by scientists (like checking energy burst, radiation, EMP and gravitation changes, speedy dialing etc.).
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
                      The Russians had one as I remember and didn't they loan it to SGC to use to get him out of the gate? Have I got that right?
                      Half of it you did. The SGC, after extensive negotiations by Daniel, were able to buy off the DHD from the Ruskies, and if you recall, it blew up after getting Teal'c out of the gate. That was one of the early ''Mc'Kay'' episodes, when he was still kind of an arsehat.

Also Simmons (I think his name was), you know the NID bad guy that made dealings with the captured Goa'uld?
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I did NOT remember the DHD blowing up! So that one went poof! That explains that.

S.S.

Comment

Working...
                        X