Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 5 The Lost Tribe Daniel/Rodney kinda campy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 5 The Lost Tribe Daniel/Rodney kinda campy?

I loved that Daniel Jackson came to Atlantis and the entire premise of the two part story arc. The only thing I did not like was the campy feel of the exchanges between Daniel and Rodney...

Just curious if anyone else felt this way?

S.S.
    Last edited by SeaShephard; 04 February 2019, 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
    I loved that Daniel Jackson came to Atlantis and the entire premise of the two part story arc. The only thing I did not like was the campy feel of the exchanges between Daniel and Rodney...

Just curious if anyone else felt this way?

S.S.
    I guess you mean the Lost Tribe episode?

Not 100% sure what campy means but I think I understands. The way I see it, we had a duo of two extremely sarcastic and intelligent characters. Watched this one yesterday actually, love that epi and obviously the evil Asgards, the best antagonists of the whole SGA series imo.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      I guess you mean the Lost Tribe episode?

Not 100% sure what campy means but I think I understands. The way I see it, we had a duo of two extremely sarcastic and intelligent characters. Watched this one yesterday actually, love that epi and obviously the evil Asgards, the best antagonists of the whole SGA series imo.
      Yes your right! Sorry I meant Lost Tribe. And I agree dealing with Rodney could be trying even though I love the character but basically I felt that Daniel' reactions weren't "him" as it were? Maybe SGA writers compared to SG1 writers?

S.S.

Comment

Yes your right! Sorry I meant Lost Tribe. And I agree dealing with Rodney could be trying even though I love the character but basically I felt that Daniel' reactions weren't "him" as it were? Maybe SGA writers compared to SG1 writers?

S.S.
        I felt like Daniel wasn't himself ever since the new ''SG1'' with Vala & Mitchell.

And btw, writers for both shows were the same, I think SG1 just had more of them involved. Some only wrote scripts for a few episodes throughout the franchise. SGU was on their mind for a while now, but an amalgam of unforeseen circumstances provoked the Franchise downfall shortly after. I never bought that the low ratings were that bad, just the wrong place at the wrong time + bankruptcy.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Probably MS played himself, but I don't know him in real life... I really liked pre-Ascension Daniel, but when and how he has returned, it was a bit too much for me. Earlier he was a sensitive, caring, pure soul, but after that they have written him as a similar sour and annoying character what Jack became at the end. You know when they feel they are more clever and better than anyone else. Some jokes were also really inappropriate (like the joking about watching movies after the complete crew of an offworld base have died because of the bug attack in season 9.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            (like the joking about watching movies after the complete crew of an offworld base have died because of the bug attack in season 9.
            What episode was that in?

S.S.

Comment

What episode was that in?

S.S.
              The Scourge (it's the 17th episode of the season).

Anyway, I think the earlier comments are right that his behavior on Atlantis was consistent with how he acted in the later seasons of Sg-1. When Jack left the show, the writers had the other characters step up the comedy to fill the void he left. Daniel was the most comedic of the lot as it followed a natural progression of the banter he developed with Jack and because he was given Vala to riff off of. However, you'd see it from all them, particularly in episodes when Vala was not around. There would be times where Mitchell, Daniel, and Carter were basically doing a routine.

Comment

I definately don't like such Daniel scenes, when somebody says something silly while he is drinking his coffee from his mug, then instead of answering he just made a face and look through the other person. I mean if that is how the scene was directed, then fine, but you know the pre-Ascension Daniel was pure and innocent, who would have tried to save or to teach everyone. He wouldn't do such silly reaction.
                Last edited by Platschu; 12 February 2019, 03:29 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  I definately don't like such Daniel scenes, when somebody says something silly while he is drinking his coffer from a mug, then instead of answering he just made a face and look through the other person. I mean if that is how the scene was directed, then fine, but you know the pre-Ascension Daniel was pure and innocent, who would have tried to save or to teach everyone. He wouldn't do such silly reaction.
                  While i’d Say Carter and Teal’c’s personality developments work for the most part throughout the series, I really was never a big fan of how Jack and Daniel were post season 6. It was a slow decline but they both just got too silly and their acerbicness and sarcasm completely overtook their actual characters.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Exactly. You know they described Jack with a "dry" humor. but it was rather annoying like he is depressed all the time. It felt like RDA didn't want to do it anymore and it could be felt on his acting. I know they joked about it in "200", so even the writers knew that he was not written well in season 8. but the most disappointing part was in 9x03 Origins, when Daniel explains in the end how much he is worried about the Ori and all his reaction was that he is hungry?!

DANIEL : I don't think I would say this to anyone else, but for the first time, I'm scared.
                    O'NEILL : (after a pause) I'm hungry.
                    http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

This is simply badly written. Similar things happened in the season 3 when he has been in Atlantis.

Comment

Working...
                    X