Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were the god aliens in the 1994 film and Origins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivao View Post
    This sounds weird. Did the mission files actually mention that he didn't trust Jaffa? Because that could be a continuity error, since the Jaffa were created as the Goa'uld didn't trust humans anymore, following the rebellion on Earth in 2,995 BC. What is known is that Ra took capable humans as his personal guard (at least, before Origins established that the hand-device can also brainwash humans, which is a different plot hole).

And in Origins, in 1939, Ra already had a human host.

I can't know for sure, since I don't have access to the mission files.
    Also from Mission Files #10

As he caught up with his Jaffa, Ra looked upon the rebels with interest. Though it was necessary, losing Aset was a blow that Ra could ill afford. The Supreme System Lord had found allies in short supply of late, and he had been forced to devise new ways to create loyal assets. Aset’s Kara’kesh modifications had helped him bend the minds of numerous beings, both friend and foe. Recently, Ra had been testing these techniques with the creation of a new form of honor guard, and these two specimens looked to be the perfect candidates to bolster their ranks. Regular Jaffa had proven too troublesome for a Goa’uld of Ra’s standing, but with a few refinements, his new Jackal and Horus guards could help him stamp his authority on the galaxy once more.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I am afraid everything has been combined in this thread. Essentially let me ask it this way: According to the canon of the 1994 film and Origins, where did the gods come from, where did they acquire all their power and ability to control humans if they were humans themselves?
      Second, in the TV canon, how could little snakes with such tiny heads contain so much knowledge and power?
      Third, does the 1994 canon absolutely exclude the possibility that the gods were either superhuman aliens or humans possessed by some enormous alien power?? Leaving aside the mystery of how little snake brains could be so intelligent and powerful...

Comment

The movie does not delve into the origins of Ra's underlings. There has simply been some things written about them after the fact, but they're just there as far as the movie itself is concerned.

In the TV show, meanwhile, the Goa'uld are capable of sapience because the writers said so. You can take issue with the logic if you want, but you could do that with a lot of things. There's nothing really to be said here. I'm sure someone out there might try to present some sort of hypothetical argument (e.g. they have extra brain matter in their tails), but generally most will expect you to either accept the premise or not and leave it at that.

Comment

Have you (Davey, not you Xaeden) actually, you know, watched the series?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Have you (Davey, not you Xaeden) actually, you know, watched the series?
            Ehhm. It is a bit harsh, but I am glad you said it as I had the same opinion a few weeks ago. At least he is enthusiastic. He has not even watched Atlantis, so I had to convince him to start it, so that is the reason he opened so many new threads.

I believe Ra's host could be an Asgard as it was slightly hinted or they have reached Earth with Unas hosts. We don't know how many other races were used by the Goa'uld, so even new ones could be introduced in a future SG spinoff to extend the existing lore. Just let's move on the Goa'uld theme as they had their time to shine and I believe we need some new races and adventures.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Earlier in this discussion there was talk about how many gates there were. If you look at this logically that the gate had a number of combinations meaning more than one address. If it was meant to go to just one place wouldn't it be in a fixed position so it did not need to be dialed?

Comment

As it happens, I watched all of SG1 a number of years ago but have forgotten some of the issues we are discussing. In addition, I am halfway through season 5 of SGA and have seen the rest since the beginning of SGA.
                I guess it could be argued that the power of the goa'uld emerges only in a symbiotic relationship between human qualities and some special capabilities contained within the tiny brains if the little snakes.
                Last edited by Davey; 28 February 2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  I am afraid everything has been combined in this thread. Essentially let me ask it this way: According to the canon of the 1994 film and Origins, where did the gods come from, where did they acquire all their power and ability to control humans if they were humans themselves?
                  Second, in the TV canon, how could little snakes with such tiny heads contain so much knowledge and power?
                  Third, does the 1994 canon absolutely exclude the possibility that the gods were either superhuman aliens or humans possessed by some enormous alien power?? Leaving aside the mystery of how little snake brains could be so intelligent and powerful...
                  There are some species of parasites that are well known to directly interfere with its host decision making process. Obviously we're a long way from a Goa'uld.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavi...ering_parasite

Everything in (good)Sci-Fi is loosely, sometimes very remotely, based on science
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
                  X