No announcement yet.

Did Ancients create non-human aliens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still believe that there must be other 9 chevron addresses or why would they have put a 9th chevron on every stargate? Maybe Rush and Eli's dialing method was wrong, because if such function is built in then there must be an easier way to dial those address or addresses. Maybe they should have put some kind of energy resource on the DHD or on the gate (similar what Teal'c used in Continuum).

SG:U could be still continued direct or indirect ways... What if the Vanir Asgards have been there? What were the Nakai ("blueberrys") doing there? Has ever any ascended Ancient visited the place? The past of the Destiny was not really examined in the show. But anyway it doesn't matter at the moment.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I still believe that there must be other 9 chevron addresses or why would they have put a 9th chevron on every stargate?
      Right? It doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. It's like if every phone ever made from Alexander Graham Bell till today included a button for pi, but only one phone ever built used that as a number. It just doesn't make sense.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well keep in mind that the address to Destiny was unique. It was only the point of origin that had to be Earth’s (Which raises its own issues since all gates are supposed to have a unique point of origin)

Now given that the 9th Chevron address is seemingly used to get to a ship in transit with no fixed address like a 7 or 8 chevron address, then there is a strong possibility that at one point the Ancients had other ships that had gates on them. This might make sense if we consider the idea that the Ancient’s early hyperdrives are far slower than the ones that they would later have. Given how long it seems to take Destiny to traverse just one galaxy it would seem to be slower than even Goa’uld Hyperdrives.

Now at this point all of those ships would have their own unique 9 chevron address, which as a security precaution, would be a code as Eli described it and as an additional measure, had to be dialed with the Earth PoO. And at one point no doubt all those ships would have been in the Ancient database, except for that over time as their engines got faster and it was easier for Ancient ships to just go from one side of the galaxy to the other in a matter of days rather than weeks or months either the ships themselves were decommisioned or their stargates were removed and thus their gate addresses were removed from the database, because, hey, what’s the point of keeping those records if they don’t exist any more. Until you are lieft with just one ship which still had a gate on it. And because they never bothered to go to Destiny (or at least go back to Destiny, depending on what you reckon) they just never thought to remove that last address.

In fact here’s a really interesting notion. Since we know all stargates automatically use their correlative update program to update the rest of the network on their position in space to compensate for stellar drift, all stargates that we have ever seen aboard a ship, like Apophis’ flagship or when Ba’al was stealing gates, or so on, will have automatically updated the network of a new 9th chevron address, until the point in which they are destroyed or returned to a planet. And that there was once some Ancient computer which is no longer active in the milky way that records and keeps track of all actions carried out by the correlative update and would have thus known abut those gates in motion.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The 9-chevron address was not an address, but a combination code that pointed specifically to Destiny, regardless of where it would be. The point of origin is part of that combination. It is implied in "Air" that, at least as long as the DHD has Earth's symbol on it, which only happens when the PoO is one of the other constellations (Icarus used "Orion"), then you'd be able to dial the address.

It is my theory, based on how the point of origin mechanic should work as explained throughout the shows, that they "hacked" the DHD using Icarus's dialing computer to accept Earth as a point of origin or something. And that they were lucky that Icarus used one of the constellations as the point of origin, so that Earth's symbol existed on the DHD. Had it not, then they would've been stuck. So, essentially, they let the DHD believe that it was on Earth in order to accept the 9-chevron combination.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
            The 9-chevron address was not an address, but a combination code that pointed specifically to Destiny, regardless of where it would be. The point of origin is part of that combination. It is implied in "Air" that, at least as long as the DHD has Earth's symbol on it, which only happens when the PoO is one of the other constellations (Icarus used "Orion"), then you'd be able to dial the address.

It is my theory, based on how the point of origin mechanic should work as explained throughout the shows, that they "hacked" the DHD using Icarus's dialing computer to accept Earth as a point of origin or something. And that they were lucky that Icarus used one of the constellations as the point of origin, so that Earth's symbol existed on the DHD. Had it not, then they would've been stuck. So, essentially, they let the DHD believe that it was on Earth in order to accept the 9-chevron combination.
            Yes it was a combination but my point is that the code could be dialed anywhere like any other Stargate. It’s just whereas you’d normally dial that gate’s point of origin you instead dialed Earth’s.

I think you otherwise need to accept from that point on that the show retconned itself and that at least some gates share their symbol set.

It’s worth noting that as we find out in Lost City, the gate symbols have corrisponding sounds to them in Ancient. That’s how the World’s names were derived by the Ancients at least at first. This could mean that the 9 Chevron addresses, if my theory about there being at one point many ships with transiting gates and therefore many 9 chevron addresses, also spell out the names of the ships in Ancient. Or if not their names the equivalent of what we’d call a ship’s registry number or code.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Well keep in mind that the address to Destiny was unique. It was only the point of origin that had to be Earth’s (Which raises its own issues since all gates are supposed to have a unique point of origin)
              Don't even get me started on that. The inconsistencies with the PoO being unique and the backwards CGI 'Gates are some of my biggest annoyances with the show. xD
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I am sure I have said a few times before. Why would the Ancients build such a network, where the planet exploedes as soon as somebody could dial Destiny. Something still must have been wrong as it is not logical that they sacrificed a planet every time they wanted to contact the ship to send supplies or new expedition members... This is one of the biggest plot hole of SG:U. Brad Wright can still fix these gate tech related questions. Just let us help him and we can extend the playground.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I am sure I have said a few times before. Why would the Ancients build such a network, where the planet exploedes as soon as somebody could dial Destiny. Something still must have been wrong as it is not logical that they sacrificed a planet every time they wanted to contact the ship to send supplies or new expedition members... This is one of the biggest plot hole of SG:U. Brad Wright can still fix these gate tech related questions. Just let us help him and we can extend the playground.
                  They didn't....the power requirement is as high as it is only because Destiny has had 50+ million years to fly further and further away. Presumably, the intent was to dial it up when it was still much closer, and so there would haven't been any need to use a planet's core as a power source.

Also, the Ancients had way better power sources than we do, so Brad Wright & co. probably could've dreamed up some technobabble to explain away that they had a 'ZPM on steroids'
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What about exploding tumors, weird entities sucking electricity out of the city, a city that they would've left in a deathtrap state (Drowning whoever comes aboard unless the time-travelling Ancient didn't change things), a device left wide open which destroys solar systems, etc. I could go on for days stating their carelessness. The Ancients left many dangerous things behind ready to blow up at any moment, isn't that basically the premise of the whole franchise more or less?

Not sure why that surprises you P!
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      They didn't....the power requirement is as high as it is only because Destiny has had 50+ million years to fly further and further away. Presumably, the intent was to dial it up when it was still much closer, and so there would haven't been any need to use a planet's core as a power source.

Also, the Ancients had way better power sources than we do, so Brad Wright & co. probably could've dreamed up some technobabble to explain away that they had a 'ZPM on steroids'
                      Perhaps Project Arcturus was an attempt to reach Destiny, at that point the ship would've been wayyy out there, wouldn't it? This has been argued on many occasions, but I've always been convinced that one ZPM wouldn't be enough. At that point I also believe the Ancients were knee deep into the wraith war and probably didn't have any ZPM to spare.

But yea I don't want to go down the ''energy science and maths of Gateworld'' which I find absurd, to try and calculate fictional numbers using real-life mathematics.
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Also as far as we are aware naquadria core planets did not exist in the Ancient's day. That's something the Goa'uld created, which then became a potential means for Earth to use to dial Destiny with in the absence of renewable Ancient power sources.

ZPM power is likely perfectly capable of dialing the Destiny, Earth just doesn't have ZPM power to spare since they can't make more of them when they run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                          Also as far as we are aware naquadria core planets did not exist in the Ancient's day. That's something the Goa'uld created, which then became a potential means for Earth to use to dial Destiny with in the absence of renewable Ancient power sources.
                          ^ I didn't think of that, but that's a good point.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                          ZPM power is likely perfectly capable of dialing the Destiny, Earth just doesn't have ZPM power to spare since they can't make more of them when they run out.
                          I will split hairs a little bit here though - we don't actually know that ZPM power would have been sufficient. Maybe it would've been doable with one, maybe it would've taken a thousand of them wired together, we just don't know.

Comment

I will split hairs a little bit here though - we don't actually know that ZPM power would have been sufficient. Maybe it would've been doable with one, maybe it would've taken a thousand of them wired together, we just don't know.
                            You did not...

This thread has 6 pages of discussions about this, and that must've been the 50th thread about this particular matter

A small excerpt:
                            Spoiler:

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Here we go again
                            Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            It's likely that a ZPM would be able to power the connection. I just don't see why the SGC would be willing to use up one of the most important strategic assets they have just for a science project with no obvious gains, or to rescue a few dozen people.
                            Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            The whole premise of the show is that *we don't leave our people behind* so yes if they could I say they would.

Likely to power the connection, yes I agree. But for how long?

Lots of Gateworlders argued that ZPM > Naquadriah. That much is true, a ZPM is more powerful imo, although I cannot believe that the total quantity of Naquadriah contained in a whole planet would produce less energy than a half-full ZPM.

Also I hardly doubt the writers would go with that ZPM dialing solution... let's see...

New script for SGU:
                            Season 1

Col. Young: SGC this is Young, we are stuck on a derelict ship in the middle of nowhere millions of light years away.
                            SGC: No worries, we got a ZPM we'll establish a connection and get you out of there.
                            Col. Young: Thanks bro

Walter: Chevron 9 locked.

*SGU ends*
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah I don't really tune in for technical speculative ridiculousness.

Guessing at character and plot stuff can be fun sometimes, because at least with that it's openly speculative and driven by reasoning and understanding of characters, motivations, past events, etc. With the technical speculation, it's just a lot of nonsensical 'well we saw X this one time, so there for Y and ONLY Y can be true for now, in all circumstances, and for all of time!'

Comment

In any case, the point is that the Ancients would have had the ability to dial Destiny. This is true even without ZPMs, as a fully functional Destiny appears to be able to dial Earth and cannot right now only because its power supply caps at 40%. Hence the plan to use the combined reserves of both Destiny and the smaller seed ship to secure a connection. So had ZPMs never been invented they still would have had a viable and repeatable way to gate to Destiny today.

Comment

Working...
                                X