Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be researching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be researching?

I’m
    trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine
    A teleporter
    A matter replicator
    A singularity Weapon
    Any type of droid
    Anything to do with holograms
    A food synthesizer
    Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
    A shrink ray
    A freeze ray
    pico and femtotechnology
    A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
    Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
    Any improvements on the hyperdrive
    Limb regeneration
    Hyperspace nullifier
    Holodeck
    Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
    Philosophers Stone
    Kinetic weapons
    Solar sail
    Anything to do with kyber crystals
    Gene editing
    Improvements on deflector shields
    Mech suit
    Exosuit
    Gender change
    Anything to do with anti-aging
    In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Maximum7 View Post
    I’m
    trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine
    A teleporter
    A matter replicator
    A singularity Weapon
    Any type of droid
    Anything to do with holograms
    A food synthesizer
    Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
    A shrink ray
    A freeze ray
    pico and femtotechnology
    A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
    Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
    Any improvements on the hyperdrive
    Limb regeneration
    Hyperspace nullifier
    Holodeck
    Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
    Philosophers Stone
    Kinetic weapons
    Solar sail
    Anything to do with kyber crystals
    Gene editing
    Improvements on deflector shields
    Mech suit
    Exosuit
    Gender change
    Anything to do with anti-aging
    In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

Any ideas?
    You have a fairly long list of exclusions. For example, if he doesn't believe in the force, why can't he be doing research to disprove its existence? Or to determine if and how Midi-chlorians come into the picture?

Comment

You've excluded virtually everything of any interest in any sci-fi universe. By your standards, your options are basically rocks and moss.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I’m
        If it's not that important to the story, why bother with it? Like, if his research into shields isn't a plot point later where he's blackmailed to give this to the enemy, you might as well just skip it.

I'd also argue that science can be quite boring, since it's interests are usually in a niche. So something like "the effect of the weak atomic force on shield generation around super-heavy objects" would be more sciency than "a way to make shields stronger". In addition, if he's against the Force, can't he be researching it? Or rather, alternative explanations for such things?

Comment

Better hyperspace lanes.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next.

Comment

Is their anything that technological that hasn’t been done in Star Wars?

Comment

Is their anything that technological that hasn’t been done in Star Wars?
                I haven't seen Transporters.

Comment

Working...
                X