• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sounds of Thunder (206)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON TWO
    THE SOUNDS OF THUNDER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206
    The newest signal from the Red Angel brings Discovery to Saru's homeworld, where a reunion with Saru's sister is cut short and the ship plunged into an ancient conflict between the Kelpiens and their predators, the technologically advanced Ba'ul.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 22 February 2019, 10:05 PM.

Couldn't help thinking that when the Kelpians were set free, someone was thinking, "Ba'ul is back on the menu boys!"

Otherwise, meh. I had written more and then deleted it. I'm just not feeling this show atm.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

I'm starting to think this red angel is likely to be a federation temporal agent. We've seen they are liable to play fast and loose before, and it seems like everything we've seen the red angel do benefits the federation in some way, this weeks situation is something that long term will probably end with Kaminar joining the federation, also that Armour its wearing, looks like it could be related to the Ablative armour the federation develops in the future

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
        I'm starting to think this red angel is likely to be a federation temporal agent. We've seen they are liable to play fast and loose before, and it seems like everything we've seen the red angel do benefits the federation in some way, this weeks situation is something that long term will probably end with Kaminar joining the federation, also that Armour its wearing, looks like it could be related to the Ablative armour the federation develops in the future
        While that’s possible i don’t get a federation or temporal agent vibe from the armour. But at least we do have a big piece of the puzzle now.

This episode felt very TOS to me. Which is good. I liked the build up of the Kelpiens and the way Disco played fast and loose with the Prime Directive. I do have a lot of questions about the Ba’ul though. They bare a striking resemblance to Armus from Skin of Evil. Alternatively I was also reminded of the Sheliak both of which we meet in TNG. I’m sure the resemblance was more designed as a homage but but it does bare some thought. Could Armus have been the result of an earlier stage of Ba’ul evolution somehow? Or perhaps the Kelpiens and Ba’ul do join together int the future and become the Sheliak. The Sheliak option in particular is intriguing because they seek order and exactness in their treaties which could be due to the new balance that had to be formed between the Ba’ul and Kelpiens.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Also, I noted the clearer appearance of the red angel has a definitely feminine appearance to the shape of the torso.

Comment

It was a nice episode again. Star Trek : Discovery can't make a mistake this year. It was really-really entertaining and this long story needed 50+ minutes and I have still felt a bit rushed the end.

A few little observations:

- I loved the intense scene between Saru vs. Pike. Wow. Amazing acting from shocked officers, nice cuts in the scene. Perfect.

- It was also see the connection between Hugh / Tyler / Saru as they all lost and gained something as a special masculine bond. Nice comparsion of the fate of these three characters.

- Ba'ul "spawning" was a bit similar when the Dark One(s) showed up in Once upon a time. Nice effects, but I wouldn't have minded a clearer shot how these mud-oil living liferform looks like. No pun intended.

- The spikes of the PredSaru were a bit similar to the aliens fro FarScape 3x04 "Self-Inflicted Wounds (Part 2): Wait for the Wheel".

- Somehow I expected that the Kelpians will turn into Ba'ul with "maturity"

- Can the Red Angel be Burnham?! Or a time traveller from the future / other dimension?
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

My favorite episode so far this season.

Ba'ul are slimy Naz'guls, love them. Even more so their tech, really thought the flying T bars ships were awesome and looked destructive. Makes you think though how the heck do they interact with their environment, you know being a puddle of jam.

Predator Kelpians are awesome, didn't expect this dart throwing weapon. You could really see the change in Saru's behavior. On a personal note, I thought Pike was way too patient with him, he should've said something when Saru openly defied him in front of the crew instead of ''We know you're undergoing behavior change'' or something alike. To his defense, he did dismiss Saru not long after.

I expect the Ba'ul will take a paddling, and Discovery to come back a little while after to see the planet dominated by Kelpians, Ba'ul turned into slavery or wiped out.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I still believe that maybe the Red Angel will change the timelines and they want to merge the TOS and the Kelvin timeline into a third new one. I know it sounds weird, but just imagine producers, who want to please the old and the new fans. So what if the whole metaplot is about saving the Vulcan and then the key player will be Spock (and Michael) in this story? It feels like a reboot of the reboot, but since the movies won't come back in the near future, what if they want to make a neutral, third way, when both of the known timeline can co-exist while they correct the mistakes what the 3 reboot movies made. Is it a heretic idea?

I was thinking that if there would be a race who could manipulate time, then why would they bother to save innocent people and dying races? They should not interfere evolution. So there must be a really good reason why do they act like that. Will the Kelpian play some important part of the fate of the galaxy?
                Last edited by Platschu; 26 February 2019, 12:18 PM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  I still believe that maybe the Red Angel will change the timelines and they want to merge the TOS and the Kelvin timeline into a third new one. I know it sounds weird, but just imagine producers, who want to please the old and the new fans. So what if the whole metaplot is about saving the Vulcan and then the key player will be Spock (and Michael) in this story? It feels like a reboot of the reboot, but since the movies won't come back in the near future, what if they want to make a neutral, third way, when both of the known timeline can co-exist while they correct the mistakes what the 3 reboot movies made. Is it a heretic idea?

I was thinking that if there would be a race who could manipulate time, then why would they bother to save innocent people and dying races? They should not interfere evolution. So there must be a really good reason why do they act like that. Will the Kelpian play some important part of the fate of the galaxy?
                  It’s rather an idea that can’t legally happen since the universes are owned by two different companies.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Also, I noted the clearer appearance of the red angel has a definitely feminine appearance to the shape of the torso.
                    I fully expect the Red Angel to be revealed as either Burnham or Airiam.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X