Point of Light (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Speaking of overcomplicating things....are we ready for a little bit of a canon deep-cut?

The planet where they drop off L'Rell and Voq's child is named as Boreth. The more astute among you (or if you're like me, a sponge for useless trivia) will recognize that name: Boreth previously appeared in the Season 6 TNG episode "Rightful Heir."

In that episode, the only location on the planet (so far as we are shown) is the monastery; the monastery is run by the Followers of Kahless, who came to Boreth many centuries earlier, following one of the legends of Kahless. In the 'Story of the Promise,' Kahless is said to have consoled other Klingons lamenting his departure by saying "you are Klingons. You need no one but yourselves. I will go now to Sto-vo-kor. But I promise one day I will return," and then pointing up at a star in the night sky and saying "look for me there, on that point of light."

The title of this episode is "Point of Light."

But we can dive even deeper and make two further (conflicting) suppositions!

Both options hinge on one important (canon!) predicate: Klingons live a really damn long time! The Klingons Kang, Kor, and Koloth all featured in TOS, which is set ten years after Discovery. All three of those Klingons were alive and well a century later, when they appeared in the DS9 episode "Blood Oath," so it is entirely reasonable to believe that the child of L'Rell and Voq was also alive and well in the TNG/DS9 era.

Option A
    Eventually, the monks of Boreth had their patience 'rewarded' when Kahless did return, albeit in the form of a clone that they had created. I posit that it is entirely possible that the child grows up to become one of the monks we see in "Rightful Heir", fulfilling at long last the dreams of his parents--followers of T'Kuvma, who preached a return to the purest values of Kahless.

Option B
    Full disclosure: I hadn't even thought of this one till someone I was chatting with on Twitter suggested it, so I can't take credit. But I thought it was an intriguing enough possibility that it deserves to be heard.

What if the child grows up to become the Albino, from DS9's "Blood Oath"? The species of the Albino is never actually identified in that episode, and we know from Season 1 of Discovery that the child has at least one parent with albino skin characteristics in Voq. The child certainly looked very pale in this episode.

All we know about the Albino from that DS9 is that he seems to despise Klingons--particularly members of the Klingon societal elite. Suppose the child, at some point, learns of his heritage and how he was 'abandoned' by his parents on this distant world, far from civilization, because he was a weakness to his parents that the elite of Klingon society could exploit? That's certainly motivation to hate Klingons!
    I figured he was the Albino as soon as I saw the kid.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Talking about section 31 spin off, they need to make some changes, section 31 use a scalpel to keep the federation safe, they don't go in all gun blazing like they did here.

It needs to be more tinker tailor spy than James Bond.

The leader and the personnel should be a smooth talking people in suits, always playing the long game, not someone that look like a football hooligan. They got at least a year or two to fix this.

For me the Klingon parts were boring, drag out and these Klingons still don't work.

The Tilly storyline was far to rush, it would have been better if we saw her suffer a bigger mental break down. An the ending to that story was way to rush.

Amanda and Micheal storyline was just to much talk, they already caste young spock and young micheal, so why not actually show Micheal bullying him, instead of her just hinting to her stepmum that what she did, this episode was ripe for some flashbacks to Spock and Micheal childhood. An that would have been better for her to watch than just two of them talking.

I wonder what the Federation is hiding and what really happen starbase 5. I also wonder how starbase 5 still exist, considerng the devestating war have just taken place.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Talking about section 31 spin off, they need to make some changes, section 31 use a scalpel to keep the federation safe, they don't go in all gun blazing like they did here.

It needs to be more tinker tailor spy than James Bond.

The leader and the personnel should be a smooth talking people in suits, always playing the long game, not someone that look like a football hooligan. They got at least a year or two to fix this.

For me the Klingon parts were boring, drag out and these Klingons still don't work.

The Tilly storyline was far to rush, it would have been better if we saw her suffer a bigger mental break down. An the ending to that story was way to rush.

Amanda and Micheal storyline was just to much talk, they already caste young spock and young micheal, so why not actually show Micheal bullying him, instead of her just hinting to her stepmum that what she did, this episode was ripe for some flashbacks to Spock and Micheal childhood. An that would have been better for her to watch than just two of them talking.

I wonder what the Federation is hiding and what really happen starbase 5. I also wonder how starbase 5 still exist, considerng the devestating war have just taken place.
        I don't disagree but clearly this Section 31 operates quite differently to the one we see in the 24th Century. And Georgiou did still act as a scalpel. She waited for her moment then only saved L'Rell and Tyler when she had to and left no witnesses and no way to trace anything back to the Federation. Like I said, the concept they apparently have for the S31 show is to show how they went from being this apparent black ops group that is a known element in starfleet to operating completely from the shadows without anyone knowing about them.

I think the Klingons now are as Klingon as Klingons have ever been. They still have that tragic Shakespearean edge to them and that notion that honour is the most important thing to them... until it becomes an inconvenience... That's always been the Klingons.

I think it would have been the wrong time for more young Spock and Michael flashbacks. Save that for when Spock comes into it. I was far more interested in actually spending some time with Amanda and seeing her relationship with Adult Burnham, cos we've seen a lot of Burnham being with Sarek but much less with her foster mother. I think it was great to see.

Honestly I don't think Starfleet is hiding anything. It happened as they said and Spock killed those people, the question is just what happened to him to send him that far off the deep end. The only reason why they didn't release any information to Pike is that it was a security concern as Spock's files had gone missing, but we can assume those were the files that Amanda took in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I don't disagree but clearly this Section 31 operates quite differently to the one we see in the 24th Century. And Georgiou did still act as a scalpel. She waited for her moment then only saved L'Rell and Tyler when she had to and left no witnesses and no way to trace anything back to the Federation. Like I said, the concept they apparently have for the S31 show is to show how they went from being this apparent black ops group that is a known element in starfleet to operating completely from the shadows without anyone knowing about them.
          Yeah their concept need changing, section 31 was clandestine even in archer time. So that has to be scrap. Apart from the energy signaturs left by the weapons the emperor use. all those lovely cells she left behind containing her DNA, hair when she took off the helmet. Yep nothing at all to lead back to the Federation.

A scalpel way would have been to beam in a stun grenade, knocking everyone out in the room, then beam down, recover the grenade, issue some medication to L' Rell and Tyler so they recover quicker than the rest of the Klingons. Beam up, leave recorded message on a Klingon data pad with instructions for the plan, with a activation code that would tell section 31 that they agree to the plan. Tyler and the kid beams up to the ship, L'Rell is sent duplicates of her baby head and Tyler and is left none the wiser about who help her or why, only free to make the assumption it was somehow starfleet. Gut Kor , stab some of his other minions to make it look like a fight happen. An then tell the high council her little tell.

We can proceed to Section 31 one ship, where they wake Tyler up, still keeping their identities secret, they tell him they have a trusted agent on the planet to take care of the child but he to well known an to visible to go with the child. He has two options either, become a member of our organisation or we will take you to a remote human world where you can assume a new life anonymously. Cut.

Honestly I don't think Starfleet is hiding anything. It happened as they said and Spock killed those people, the question is just what happened to him to send him that far off the deep end. The only reason why they didn't release any information to Pike is that it was a security concern as Spock's files had gone missing, but we can assume those were the files that Amanda took in the first place.
          When even the main characters are thinking starfleet is hiding something, then I think we just have to accept they are hiding something.
          Last edited by knowles2; 03 February 2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            Yeah their concept need changing, section 31 was clandestine even in archer time. So that has to be scrap. Apart from the energy signaturs left by the weapons the emperor use. all those lovely cells she left behind containing her DNA, hair when she took off the helmet. Yep nothing at all to lead back to the Federation.

A scalpel way would have been to beam in a stun grenade, knocking everyone out in the room, then beam down, recover the grenade, issue some medication to L' Rell and Tyler so they recover quicker than the rest of the Klingons. Beam up, leave recorded message on a Klingon data pad with instructions for the plan, with a activation code that would tell section 31 that they agree to the plan. Tyler and the kid beams up to the ship, L'Rell is sent duplicates of her baby head and Tyler and is left none the wiser about who help her or why, only free to make the assumption it was somehow starfleet. Gut Kor , stab some of his other minions to make it look like a fight happen. An then tell the high council her little tell.

We can proceed to Section 31 one ship, where they wake Tyler up, still keeping their identities secret, they tell him they have a trusted agent on the planet to take care of the child but he to well known an to visible to go with the child. He has two options either, become a member of our organisation or we will take you to a remote human world where you can assume a new life anonymously. Cut.

When even the main characters are thinking starfleet is hiding something, then I think we just have to accept they are hiding something.
            Whose to say the weapon was a starfleet one? As for DNA... Klingons don't strike me as the biggest forensic experts.

Comment

As for DNA... Klingons don't strike me as the biggest forensic experts.
              section 31 from DS9 wouldn't take that chance.

Comment

When Tilly had her mental breakdown on the bridge, which races were shown briefly there as they were working in the background?

I am the only one who imagined May as Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter?
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Also, someone from the House of Mogh (or whatever it’s called in this time period) appeared in this one:

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1091841305490141184
                  https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/House_of_Mogh
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Here is a nice list of little references :
                    https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star...-3-easter-eggs
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      Here is a nice list of little references :
                      https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star...-3-easter-eggs
                      Pretty sure I caught all of these although a couple are somewhat mis-represented.

For a start Pike does call Owosekun "Owo" but Tilly also did that in the last episode.

Also my brain was slightly irked that used O'Brien as an example of a Chief cos while he is he's an NCO and likely would't have had anything to do with the CTP. I do like the idea though that the CTP isn't just for an advanced track to Captains though. More command level jobs out there after all.

The thing about Burnham and Tilly being room mates still had occurred to me as well. I actually kinda like the idea that there just might not be that much room to spare on Discovery. I mean it's a science ship that was likely built in a bit of a rush to integrate the spore drive and get it into the war... I won't be disappointed if they give Burnham her own quarters at some point, but as it stands I like that they may just HAVE to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        When Tilly had her mental breakdown on the bridge, which races were shown briefly there as they were working in the background?

I am the only one who imagined May as Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter?
                        Are you talking about the two that were the same species that had the big bulbous head and faces that looked a little bug like?

No idea. I suspect a new, original race.

Comment

Working...
                        X