About to start into this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to start into this....

I am going to sit down and watch this and see how it goes. I have avoided all the spoilers so far.

Taking the plunge!

S.S.

OK..... So far I am kinda shocked. Fer starters I could have written a better fight between Catherine and her Father...

The Nazis are pretty wooden at best. The explanation of how to open the Stargate? Ohhh good Good Grief. the writing is what kills this!

Also whats with only the first symbol lighting up on the DHD when Catherine attempted to dial out?

The fight choreography was sooooo bad...

I am Sad. Far as I have got.

S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
      OK..... So far I am kinda shocked. Fer starters I could have written a better fight between Catherine and her Father...

The Nazis are pretty wooden at best. The explanation of how to open the Stargate? Ohhh good Good Grief. the writing is what kills this!

Also whats with only the first symbol lighting up on the DHD when Catherine attempted to dial out?

The fight choreography was sooooo bad...

I am Sad. Far as I have got.

S.S.
      The original cut had the rolling screen ending just like in the old Batmans. I remember quite clearly laughing my a$$ off by myself in front of my computer, I couldn't believe we were getting ROLLING SCREENS credits in 2018, when it was already old 10 years ago.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I still haven't received the email for downloading the merged verion. Maybe I should dig into my spam folders in my gmail.

We all know that SG:O was poor, but that was the budget and they tried to make an enjoyable SG story. Maybe time has changed my memories as I have seen it in March. Hopefully the next SG movie (Origins or spinoff) and if there will be a next will be much better.

What I can still not forget the inappropriate sexual jokes : the forced kiss and the cloth fe****ist Nazi character. These steps were simply wrong.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think the idea of an anthology series (which is where I expect Origins to go) is perfect. There's so many areas of the Stargate lore they can explore that just didn't get tapped into in the series (I keep thinking about a Nem short). They don't have to be expensive but they don't need to look cheap either. That's a major cruz. The Catherine story was unfortunately unnecessary too.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Poor? For 20$ a pop for 10 mins episodes? Times 2 because many renewed? Nah, they had low staff, low production costs, low overall costs, they made their money I'm sure of it. Hell they sent a feedback form using SurveyMonkey, just goes to show how shy they were to spend $$. I've seen movies with less than 100k budget that had much better visual effects, casting and decors.

I didn't particularly enjoy SG:O, but I was and am still supportive because it's new SG, can't be bad. What I had a bit of a problem with was that this was advertised, extensively, as the ''RETURN TO STARGATE ON THE BIG SCREEN OH MY GOD THE HYPE IS UNREAL'' when in fact there was no ''to be continued'' series even planned. I felt a bit cheated.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            I think the idea of an anthology series (which is where I expect Origins to go) is perfect.
            I don't think anybody on this board would disagree with you. Thing is, would it work for a general audience? I Guess it could be done in the fashion of the ''Short Treks'', but again the producers would need to be careful to ensure that one who never watched Stargate could watch it without feeling lost.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I wouldn't want Short Treks, personally. I'd like this mini-movie style format to continue.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I know it is a bit heretic idea, but I just imagined what if the SG could return to the tv market and then they would reshot this whole SG:O story with a bigger budget. If it needs to be remade at all. I wish we could reach that point that this mediocre little SG movie was the first step of the glorious return of the franchise, so every fan would remember it as a necessary bad adventure.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Poor? For 20$ a pop for 10 mins episodes? Times 2 because many renewed? Nah, they had low staff, low production costs, low overall costs, they made their money I'm sure of it.
                  You do realize MGM probably didn't loose a single dime on this project, right. Because their part in the investment was limited to perhaps the website and app, which I'm rather sure doesn't even cover half the production costs of Origins, which were covered by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and the production company she works for, Vanishing Angles. And a few other investors, I'm sure.

MGM offered the franchise, Vanishing Angles did the investment, directing and writing of the story.
                  And then there's Legion M -- who invested and took care of the promotion of it, because none of the events set up for SGO were organized by MGM or Stargate Command. That was all Legion M.

So, I have no idea why anyone bothers to even credit MGM/Stargate Command with Origins. In name only, yes.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Thing is, would it work for a general audience? I Guess it could be done in the fashion of the ''Short Treks'', but again the producers would need to be careful to ensure that one who never watched Stargate could watch it without feeling lost.
                  It doesn't work for the general audience because the general audience isn't likely to sign up for a streaming service that only plays stargate. So no, it wouldn't do much good for a general audience. They would more likely catch it on TV while flipping channels, and perhaps if they liked what they saw they would venture out and look it up.

The Star Trek shorts for Discovery, by the way, are very much out there for the general Netflix audience to watch. As is Star Trek Discovery itself (not in the USA) -- and for the first time I don't have to resort to (illegal) downloading to watch something as exciting as this because we're getting this at the same time, a day later but pretty much within the same 24h of its premiere in the USA.

As to the original topic... I kinda liked Origins, for what it is. And if MGM ever gets their head out of their butt, and put this on DVD/BR with some serious extras, I'd buy the disc in an instant. Until then, my 1080p download will have to do.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That's indeed my whole problem with this. No-one who is not a fan of Stargate, or who doesn't even know about it, will pay for something that only has Stargate. Which means Stargate Command is only for the existing fanbase, who either already were fans, or who became fans by watching the DVDs (from existing fans). That also means that the only way for MGM to make money is to please the fans.

By only catering to the existing fans in 6 countries, and by dividing those fans into paying (All-Access or Origins) and non-paying fans, and then dividing the paying fans between those who like Origins and those who don't, they aren't left with a lot of fans who will gladly accept whatever it is MGM is doing.

That was the whole point of the Twitter campaign. But of course once stubborn always stubborn. Without having Stargate anywhere else (on TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime) it will be next to impossible to get new fans. Again, it relies entirely on existing fans to share it. Case in point, I was intrigued by both the Reimagined Battlestar Galactica, and Babylon 5. The only way for me to watch it (legally) is to buy it on DVD/Blu-ray. Well, that's a Catch-22. I'm not going to buy something I haven't seen, but if I don't buy it I will never be able to see it. And in the case of BSG I watched it, ahem, not-so-legally, to see if I liked it. I considered buying the complete collection, which is pretty expensive. But then I realized I actually absolutely do not like the show. So I would've wasted a huge amount of money if I had bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                      Case in point, I was intrigued by both the Reimagined Battlestar Galactica, and Babylon 5. The only way for me to watch it (legally) is to buy it on DVD/Blu-ray. Well, that's a Catch-22. I'm not going to buy something I haven't seen, but if I don't buy it I will never be able to see it.
                      I did that with Farscape. However, I did buy the box-set and luckily for me, I loved it, otherwise the box-set would have gone up for sale again, I guess.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I just watched it on Prime. At first I was balking at its....interesting characteristics and...stylistic choices. Until I realized what it really was and then enjoyed the rest for said characteristics and stylistic choices. So I came out of watching it very satisfied.

I think Ellie Gall could hold her own series so hopefully finds a good more series role out there. Most of these actors were fairly on point considering what they were given to work with!

Things I loved:
                        I loved Ellie Gall's Catherine...maybe a little too much >.>
                        I loved Wasif and our familiar friend that they met.
                        The Nazis played off well with the Goauld, two peas in a pod if you ask me. Let's be honest. The over dramatic speech and clothes that the Goauld love to flaunt around...they are made for eachother.
                        The Wormhole travel.
                        The non-seriousness of it all made it possible for me to ignore some...glaring issues.

Glaring Issues:
                        If you want serious storytelling that requires little suspension of disbelief...then this is not for you. It carries a very strong 1990s style of fiction telling (Think SG-1 Season 1 with a layback attitude and no attempt at dramatic oscar winning nonsense heart string pulling edge of the seat suspense).
                        You can't power a stargate with one nazi engine.
                        Several leaps of logic along the line of a nazi car engine being able to power the gate.
                        And to quote the Screenrats series on movie pitches, a lot of issues that the characters faced were "super easy, barely an inconvenience".

Take away:
                        It's a fun, funny, and has plenty of call backs. The cast was wonderful, and then there's Ellie Gall's Catherine. Liking this for me was indeed super easy and barely an inconvenience. But dear God, if they ever make a show again they should definitely avoid pulling the same stunts!!!
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Tood, have you been watching pitch meetings?
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            Tood, have you been watching pitch meetings?
                            Maybe....
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              Maybe....

Barely a stretch
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X