Stargate: Extinction SGA Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Extinction SGA Movie

The movie will be written by Stargate Atlantis' executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who also serve as series showrunners. The movie is set to follow the fifth and final season of Stargate Atlantis, as it draws to its thrilling conclusion in January 2009.

Ok does anyone know if they actually wrote the screen play or not? if so what was the plot of said movie.

S.S.

It was indeed written. After it was clear that it was not going to get made, Mallozzi posted a summary on his blog: https://josephmallozzi.com/2013/03/3...on-and-beyond/

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
      It was indeed written. After it was clear that it was not going to get made, Mallozzi posted a summary on his blog: https://josephmallozzi.com/2013/03/3...on-and-beyond/
      HOLY COW ! ! ! That would have beeen beyond awesome. Tooooo bad the missing 1.5 billion dollar lottery ticket in South Carolina couldn't be found by a Stargate fan to fund more SGA....

S.S.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the link again. As much as I love the Atlantis as a Moon base idea, I don't like the self-destruct plot. Why would the Ancients build in such things into their own cityship? It feels really forced to find a reason why the city must leave our solar system.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          Thanks for sharing the link again. As much as I love the Atlantis as a Moon base idea, I don't like the self-destruct plot. Why would the Ancients build in such things into their own cityship? It feels really forced to find a reason why the city must leave our solar system.
          My thoughts exactly! “The we gotta go back or it’s gonna blow up” thing does feel forced.

S.S.

Comment

Echoing the thanks. I hadn't read that particular blog post about the plot! I'm with Plats on this one. I don't think that particular plot angle sounds reasonable.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Honestly I have never liked how Stargate travel can accidentally kill travelers. Imagine you are the almighty Ancients, who build a network of stargates to connect planets for yourself and smaller, still evolving younger races. Then why would they not build in some warning? I would have expected some safety feature like
              -the chevrons won't lock if the air is unbreathable on the other side
              -it shows a warning to the dialer
              -the DHD or it transfers the wormhole to a second address
              -it keeps the traveler in memory for a time etc.
              Or what would happen if there is energy shield or mechanical barrier (like Iris) on the other side? I doubt that they were just sending kinos ahead all the time. I was thinking on such "stargate protocols" (basically stargate network functions) when I was brainstorming ideas for a new SG spinoff (see my Milky way in 2020 thread). A few episodes could be written around understanding the working and meaning of the gate system in the future.

So back to the Extincition plot. It is nice to see the Triangulum galaxy. Maybe he talked about the Vanir (evil Asgard), but we will never know it now.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I don't know why he has shared these pages. Does he want to earn money to publish it as a book? Or he has given up to be an SG writer again on the next spinoff? Or is it about attention or one last desperate attempt to push MGM? Or does he test the fans' patience? Just because they don't do such things in tv industry. This backstabbing step is not elegant so to say.

Story wise (SPOILERS!) : time-travelelling Todd? Seriously? And Ironman type Sheppard? Even more seriously?! These were the best ideas to come up with? Why can they not tell us just a simple straight adventure movie without time travel or alternate realities...

Comment

Well there is a chance that Fandemonium may publish both the SGA and SG-1 movies as novels, but there's nothing definite yet.

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post14653404

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Read the comments here, but hey this is like seeing a few seconds out of a 2h movie, not sure it's possible to draw an accurate picture of what would've been the movie.

At first glance though, I'd say this flick would've been great. I think time travelling Todd would be awesome and really I've always wondered why the Ancients never created ''Mech suits'' or tanks of some sort.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

But if they want to publish it as a novel then they don't reveal pages from it. And not this way. And not for this reason. And not now. Anyway we will see what will happen.

I like time travel stories, but only as part of a season for 1-2 episodes. Not when the complete movie is based on it then they push the reset button and the AU timeline sacrifices itself for an unknown one. So FutureTodd or the upgraded Asgard suits could be fun as part of the season 6 of Atlantis.

You know I liked Continuum, but the whole story hasn't had any effect on our main timeline. SG movies should be kept for some bigger "reasons". But I am sure most of us would be happy to get any SG movie at the current stage.

Comment

I don't know why he has shared these pages. Does he want to earn money to publish it as a book? Or he has given up to be an SG writer again on the next spinoff? Or is it about attention or one last desperate attempt to push MGM? Or does he test the fans' patience? Just because they don't do such things in tv industry. This backstabbing step is not elegant so to say.
                        I get the impression that he's simply been going through his records and came across some nostalgia that he wanted to share with people.

I'm not sure how he's "backstabbing" anyone by doing this, and I seriously doubt he thinks there's any chance of getting the band back together and new, very expensive sets built to produce a one-off movie. That ship has sailed, and he has to know that as an industry insider. There's a good chance that he's not able to publish it in full since he was paid to write it (even if MGM ultimately didn't pick it up), so he doesn't technically own it and therefore can't publish more than excerpts online.

I've been in a similar situation myself before. I had work for a creative project that never was seen by people, so I later wrote a bit about them and offered some excerpts. I had no motivations other than that I thought people would be interested, and I wanted to share a little bit of the work I did. I could have put everything online since I retained the rights, but I was happy limiting it.

In my case, there was the hope that I would personally have an opportunity to be able to rework the material for another medium. In Mallozzi's, sure, he may be hoping MGM will publish it or turn it into something. If people are interested they might publish it in full on Stargate Command or turn it into a comic/novel. I don't see anything wrong with thinking that might be the end result, and I'm not sure why you're attributing dark motivations here.

But if they want to publish it as a novel then they don't reveal pages from it. And not this way. And not for this reason. And not now. Anyway we will see what will happen.
                        Why not? They're just excerpts. They reveal some points that would have been touched on (like a film trailer or book review or synopsis of a novel might), but they don't spoil the whole story, and a novel is going to take liberties anyway. I don't see how this does anything other than get more people excited than they otherwise would have been to want to see the complete story in some other medium.

Also, unproduced scripts have been leaked wholesale before and then gotten life in another medium based on how much interest they drummed up. For example, William Gibsons wrote an unproduced script for Alien 3. It ended up being leaked online...

Father of cyberpunk, William Gibson’s original script for Alien III, written in 1987 as a sequel to Aliens, never made it to our screens, although it went on to achieve cult status among fans as the third installment that might have been after being leaked online.

And it led to the production of both a comic book and audio drama...

Dark Horse just brought William Gibson‘s unproduced Alien 3 script to life in the form of a comic book mini-series, and we’ve just learned on the road to the fourth annual “Alien Day” this week that the script is next being turned into an original audio drama by Audible.

Source: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...l-biehn-hicks/

This just happened in 2018 and 2019, respectively.

Other leaked scripts have gone down a similar path or received interest in something being done with them that has not yet materialized. Hell, Deadpool got made because test footage was leaked, and for years before that smaller circles online had been talking up a draft of the final script that was leaked in 2010.* Full and partial leaks of dead projects is an increasingly viable way of "undeading" them in some fashion.

*Here's an article confirming it was the legitimate script: http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2010/10...pt-leaked.html

Here we see that Fox was trying limit chatter about it by forcing take downs of reviews at the time: https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dead...con-21158.html)

Here you can see the review before it was taken down, which might have helped build buzz that could have gotten the movie made sooner if Fox didn't go after it: http://web.archive.org/web/201010170...con-21158.html

Couldn't agree with you more.
                        Last edited by Xaeden; 06 May 2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I don't see it as backstabbing either. I'd rather have some snippets than never get to see actual pieces of it. I'm hopeful something will come of that exchange between Fandy and Joe. I'd love to see it realized in some fashion because I'm sure it'll never come as a film.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Okay, maybe I haven't expressed myself correctly or I have overreacted it, apology. What I have meant about "backstabbing" that obviously he must have given up the chance it will be ever produced. So why does he share such details with the fans? That we will start a buzz or campaign for him? Were his actions authorized by MGM or has he acted behind their back to try to create some pressure on them by us?

I know fans accept the new stories for the entertaining value, but it must mean different only a "job" when you are working on it in full time. So I don't know how much are they fans of their own established lore, but I don't like being "used" for financial reasons. We have no influence on the future of Stargate. No campaign, no subscription, no twitter storm could convince them. So why would JM believe that clicking on his SG:A script will change their attitude?

Comment

I really do think his main motivation is just to share some fun bits of a project he is proud of with people who would be excited by them. Secondarily, he may think that it will also create some buzz, and it would be great if that led to it being made available to fans in some manner.

There's not really any money of consequence in it for him. He already got paid to write the script, and he has to know it's not going to be made into a live action movie. A novel or comic book is possible, but those make very little money, and usually writers in Mallozzi's position do not have contracts that allow them to get paid for that. He'd get paid more if it was produced, but any profits from any tie-material derived from any of the scripts he wrote for MGM (whether produced or not) very likely goes entirely to MGM.

By now he's going through a number of old things, including the collection of behind-the-screens tapes that he has been storing on his dime, and he's turning them over to MGM so they can release the material to fans as they see fit. He's not getting paid for that. He's doing it out of a love for the history of a project he once worked on and a desire for fans to enjoy that material. Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to see MGM publish his script on Stargate Command. Again, he wouldn't get paid for that.

You're assuming dark motivations when I don't see any justification to do so. This seems entirely innocent and benign, and there's no reason for him to "use" people for money when there's no money here for him. The only possible motivator for him to want to create buzz among fans is to convince MGM to release or re-adapt the script in a low earning revenue that he will likely never see a penny of.

The guy probably just wants people to see something he wrote that he's proud of. Why does there have to be a conspiracy here?
                              Last edited by Xaeden; 07 May 2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X