No announcement yet.

Stargate: Extinction SGA Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been enjoying the screenshots Joe has been posting and would love to have a copy of the whole script.

An ebook of the script, as is, couldn't be too expensive to produce could it? It is already written, from the looks of it needs minimal proofreading if any, and just needs to be formatted.

I'm not too keen on having it novelized by Fandy. Joe's voice, humor, and the feel of the official script style would be steamrolled over and take more time to write out. Worse, Fandy has a track record for using incorrect non-canon pronouns and adding loads of needless and incorrect editorializing and non-canon details, such as Vulcan green blood (or black blood) instead of red and Drow photophobic eyes which would detract from the Todd vs Future Todd fight scene in a distracting way. Future Todd would probably be given bad breath and insults to his race for no reason and the John and Todd handshake scene would probably come with a 20 line exposition about how great Earthborn-humans are, a demagogic sales technique to make readers feel good. No thanks.

Also: I don't want to come across anyone bragging about special access to Fandy extras, such as friend-locked links I have seen posted and alluded to on here the rest of us are not privy to. Those are their licensed fanfictions, but this is Joe's script, not theirs. Geoblocking is bad enough and the last thing the fandom needs is more haves and have nots.
    Last edited by WraithTech; 13 May 2019, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      But if they want to publish it as a novel then they don't reveal pages from it. And not this way. And not for this reason. And not now. Anyway we will see what will happen.

I like time travel stories, but only as part of a season for 1-2 episodes. Not when the complete movie is based on it then they push the reset button and the AU timeline sacrifices itself for an unknown one. So FutureTodd or the upgraded Asgard suits could be fun as part of the season 6 of Atlantis.

You know I liked Continuum, but the whole story hasn't had any effect on our main timeline. SG movies should be kept for some bigger "reasons". But I am sure most of us would be happy to get any SG movie at the current stage.
      Future Todd? I get the feeling that we would get more insight in S6 of where he came from. Maybe not from an AU, but from the main one's own future. If that's the case, that'd be a first - as we haven't seen old Ba'al go meet his younger self in SG Continuum. So basically, SGA Extinction would be a time travel movie that features a villain change his own future by going to the present. In all other occasions, it was 1) time-travel to the past, 2) change something in the past - or not, 3) arrive to a different future. Looks like in this movie it would go: 1) time-travel from the future to the present, 2) a character meets its younger self, 3) Present Todd kills Future self, 4) Present Todd is now in control of building his own future (and probably has the chance to mess with our heroes more than usual) as there is no Future version of him, 5) because Present Todd is now in control of his own fate, our heroes end up using that to their advantage, thus finally bringing him and the remainder of the Wraith down once and for all.

As for SG movies being kept for bigger reasons: I agree with that. In fact, I was just thinking about it and what MGM should have done is green-light SGA while enabling SG-1 to continue in a movie series format following its 7th season. That way, more effort would be put in SGA's writing and production while still enabling both shows to have a presence. By the end of Atlantis, SG-1 would be completely done since the finances wouldn't be divided between two spin-offs. Then more effort would be put into SGU as well while giving SGA the same treatment following the end of its final season. That way, we could have had at least two SG spin-offs completed, probably resulting in more interest for the third one.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Okay, maybe I haven't expressed myself correctly or I have overreacted it, apology. What I have meant about "backstabbing" that obviously he must have given up the chance it will be ever produced. So why does he share such details with the fans? That we will start a buzz or campaign for him? Were his actions authorized by MGM or has he acted behind their back to try to create some pressure on them by us?

I know fans accept the new stories for the entertaining value, but it must mean different only a "job" when you are working on it in full time. So I don't know how much are they fans of their own established lore, but I don't like being "used" for financial reasons. We have no influence on the future of Stargate. No campaign, no subscription, no twitter storm could convince them. So why would JM believe that clicking on his SG:A script will change their attitude?
      Well, let's see. SGA ended/got cannceled in 2009. Following SGU's demise, this movie was also cancelled along with the third SG-1 movie. The combo movie idea didn't go trough either. Sets were taken apart and either auctioned or sold. We know that David Hewlett bought the Destiny set. The others were probably either auctioned or sold in parts or even destoryed. Same with costumes and props. The cast members have moved on, some of which have become big names in TV/movie industry and going back to Stargate would be a major stap back for them. Some of the cast members probably went on doing something else than acting altogehter. Some have retired or passed away. So those who would probably be still up for a reunion or something similar are probably too old or just out of shape (or both) to do SG anyway since it's been YEARS since the final episode aired.

The only way to continue the exisitng story is to start a new spin-off with all new cast with the old cast members returning from time to time. But that's not happening since the way SG was produced, it was too expensive to produce it anyway WHILE it was STILL ON and it would be even more expensive now building new sets and re-building old ones. Plus I doubt that Malozzi, Wright and Cooper would manage to find a cast that would do the show under the work cicumstances that SGA cast did. Plus I don't think they'd be able to kill a character and then bring him back as a clone because... fans request/demand it or whatever.

Joe knows all of this and that's why he's shared those pages. He knows the movie is not happening and has come to accept it. He knows it's impossible to bring back either Atlantis OR Universe in any way, shape or form as long as TV is in question.
      However, there IS a one good thing about him sharing those pages: they already poked our eyes so I'm sure MGM is keeping that in mind.

It's not easy to bring back something like Stargate is - the times have changed so it might be wise to wait a couple more years before a new SG series or movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
        So basically, SGA Extinction would be a time travel movie that features a villain change his own future by going to the present.
        Yup. Below is an excerpt from a summary Joe provided in 2013. Click the link to read the whole thing.

“What follows is a high-flying adventure involving a mysterious civilization tapping the limitless potential of the accretion streams between two stars, time travel, and a race against time to avert not only the destruction of Atlantis but the extinction of an entire race.

and — through the magic of time-travel — Sheppard and Teyla now aware “that they are destined to be together.”

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2013/04/stargate-atlantis-producer-reveals-more-of-unfilmed-movie/

Note that he pretty much already spoiled the ending of the movie and a key twist here because it was clear even then that it was never getting produced.

Comment

Here's another page of the script JM posted:
          https://josephmallozzi.com/2019/05/1...-and-a-rodney/

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks! Another page to add to the collection.

I wonder if there is a medical condition which accounts for Todd's blood being black, as opposed to red, or if this would be a continuity error.

There is a photo of a severed Wraith hand from Joe's own blog showing red blood (content warning: theatrical blood): https://i0.wp.com/josephmallozzi.com...013/01/199.jpg

This site states coughing up dark blood can indicate it came from the digestive system. Would that work for inactive* digestive systems too? https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coughing-up-blood/

(*the adjective "inactive" is extrapolated from Keller saying in "Infection": "The treatment worked exactly like it was supposed to. It eliminated their feeding hands, activated their digestive systems...")

Addition: Nevertheless, existing on-screen visual evidence supersedes any scripts, filmed or not. "Runner" and "The Last Man" show red blood. Lorne shines a flashlight on a fallen runner hunter and Michael holds up a Queen's severed head in daylight. Wraith blood is red and and they are warm-blooded as per Todd's breath fogging up the glass in "Vegas."
            Last edited by WraithTech; 04 June 2019, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Here's yet another page from the script with Beckett, McKay and turtles:
              https://josephmallozzi.com/2019/05/1...attle-spoiler/

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Ha! I can just hear the two of them now. Love it!

Comment

Call me late to the party but a script was actually written for an SGA movie??? I thought the series was concluded in the novels? (Which are pretty awesome, if i might say so myself, i would have loved to see it) but is it a thing that is happening or nah? i think with all the old tv shows getting reboots, now would be the perfect time to bring stargate atlantis back in a BIG way. One could dream though lol

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
                  Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
                  Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
                  sigpic

Comment

Shortly after the show was canceled, they were given go-ahead to turn their plans for the first two episodes of season 6 into a movie. Originally, the Sci fi channel was going to air it, but that quietly went away and it became a months long saga of whether or not MGM was going to green light production on a straight to DVD movie. We didn't know at the time that MGM was on the verge of bankruptcy, but it forced them to delay everything (including the next James Bond film and The Hobbit movies). The DVD market had also bottomed out and while MGM was trying to get back on their feet, the Atlantis sets were dismantled and the props were sold at auction (storage fees for sets are very expensive).

Once that happened, a movie became infeasible because, along with the difficulty of getting the cast back together (particularly Jason Momoa), the sets cost too much money to rebuild them for a one-off movie. They invest a lot of money into sets for a pilot, hoping that the show will have the longevity necessary for them to get their money back. They also spend money allotted to them each season to construct/expand their set pieces.

Consequently, the only way a movie could possibly be affordable at this point is if they create CGI sets like they did for "Blood and Chrome" because the Battlestar Galactica sets had already been torn down. In addition to likely being something that will cause a good number of fans to revolt, even that's iffy because, again, the DVD market has bottomed out and recreating them in CGI is cheaper, but the level of quality is going to depend on the amount of money they think the film will make ("Blood and Chrome" was intended as a pilot).

So a movie is now off the table, but there has been talk to turning the unproduced script from 10 years ago in a novel.
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 05 April 2020, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X