Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phaser bank

Heart phaser bank

Is there an episode of Star Trek where they talk about what the phaser bank could be called if it were improved?
    Daniel L Newhouse

Default Re: phaser bank

You mean like how DS9 and the TNG movies introduced quantum torpedoes?

No. Simply put it's not the same thing. As an energy weapon making a Phaser more powerful is simple. You find away to either make it more energy efficient or directly put more energy into it. Evidently over the eras of star trek we've seen this occur many times. DSC shows phasers as brief blue pulses. TOS shows sustained blue beams. The TMP era shows orange pulses. TNG and later a sustained beam except for the defiant and federation fighters which use pulse phaser cannons which seemingly pack a big punch.

So it's all about the energy fed in and the resulting output. But if you change the name PHASed Energy Retification then you change what the weapon is.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    You mean like how DS9 and the TNG movies introduced quantum torpedoes?

No. Simply put it's not the same thing. As an energy weapon making a Phaser more powerful is simple. You find away to either make it more energy efficient or directly put more energy into it. Evidently over the eras of star trek we've seen this occur many times. DSC shows phasers as brief blue pulses. TOS shows sustained blue beams. The TMP era shows orange pulses. TNG and later a sustained beam except for the defiant and federation fighters which use pulse phaser cannons which seemingly pack a big punch.

So it's all about the energy fed in and the resulting output. But if you change the name PHASed Energy Retification then you change what the weapon is.
    Spot-on, across the board.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Spot-on, across the board.
    This ain't my first Academy Lecture.

Interesting to know in Star Trek universe have ZPM?

If yes, this is very good because it will infinity energy for weapons.
    http://stargate.mgm.com/images/universe-series-header.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_O'Neill View Post
    Interesting to know in Star Trek universe have ZPM?

If yes, this is very good because it will infinity energy for weapons.
    They do not.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

They do not.
    This is bad because without ZPM, impossible to have infinity energy for weapon, if power battery will empty, weapon also will shutdown, in battle situation = death.
    http://stargate.mgm.com/images/universe-series-header.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_O'Neill View Post
    This is bad because without ZPM, impossible to have infinity energy for weapon, if power battery will empty, weapon also will shutdown, in battle situation = death.
    In 53 years of Trek, a starship has never run out of gas due to firing phasers.

Because it would be a boring episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

In 53 years of Trek, a starship has never run out of gas due to firing phasers.
    But their energy storage has been depleted. As I recall, in "The Doomsday Machine", when Kirk & the scouting party beam over to the destroyed Constellation, Scotty reports that Constellation's phaser banks were drained, saying something about not giving up without a fight.
    Later on, after Decker had taken command of Enterprise, Constellation was able to fire again after Scotty had recharged the weapons to some degree.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    But their energy storage has been depleted. As I recall, in "The Doomsday Machine", when Kirk & the scouting party beam over to the destroyed Constellation, Scotty reports that Constellation's phaser banks were drained, saying something about not giving up without a fight.
    Later on, after Decker had taken command of Enterprise, Constellation was able to fire again after Scotty had recharged the weapons to some degree.
    weaponry that didn't have a prayer of penetrating the neutronium hull on that thing

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    weaponry that didn't have a prayer of penetrating the neutronium hull on that thing
    True enough. That was a fight they could not win conventionally.

Ever read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_(Star_Trek) ?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

We do know the Defiant uses power cells for her phasers. But I always kind of assumed they were power boosters rather than an actual method of running the phasers themselves.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    We do know the Defiant uses power cells for her phasers. But I always kind of assumed they were power boosters rather than an actual method of running the phasers themselves.
    Actually this got me thinking - we did see in DS9 ("Rocks and Shoals") that, at least for the Defiant's pulse phaser cannons, they did use some kind of power coil or power cell that burned out after a lot of use. They had that whole ritual for displaying them in the ship's mess hall as a trophy that the ship was still going, despite seeing so much combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    True enough. That was a fight they could not win conventionally.

Ever read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_(Star_Trek) ?
    oh yeah...and interesting that they postulated that those doomsday weapons were originally built as anti-Borg weaponry

Actually this got me thinking - we did see in DS9 ("Rocks and Shoals") that, at least for the Defiant's pulse phaser cannons, they did use some kind of power coil or power cell that burned out after a lot of use. They had that whole ritual for displaying them in the ship's mess hall as a trophy that the ship was still going, despite seeing so much combat.
    Yeah, that’s what I mean. But we’ve never really seen anything else that implies that Phasers use power cells.

We know that it’s never brought up in Enterprise. The Phasers there just seems to run off ship’s main power via the EPS grid, and Reed was able to boost their power by linking them to the impulse reactors (which damaged the ship in the episode they were first featured in but we don’t know if he was able to fix that issue after).

We know that as was pointed out Phaser reserves could apparently be depleted in a Constitution class ship but that they could then be recharged in TOS.

We know from TMP and onwards that Phasers were linked to the Warp Core to gain a boost in power (which was a convenient way of explaining why an energy weapon that should be travelling at light speed cannot be used at Warp...).

And we know that Defiant used the Energy Cells and that Voyager never seemed concerned about losing phaser power despite all their oft spoken concerns with conserving energy.

Based on all that the best assumption I can make is that the phasers are run off a separate battery that can be recharged by the Warp Core. This makes sense since you’d still want your ship to be able to fight even if main power goes off line or you need to Eject the Warp Core. Since that would still be a concern in the TMP and TNG eras and Decker in TMP specifies that the Warp Core gives the phasers a boost by directing power directly to them, we can assume that the Phasers would still function without the core even then but they’d lose that boost. The power cells we see in Defiant are possibly a trade off. The Warp Power in a war is probably needed elsewhere like maintaing the shields or boosting the impulse engines and so on, but you still want that power boost to the phasers. So you use the independently charged power cells to add that boost.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Perhaps the coils are not a "stand alone" power source, but more a power "converter" After X amount of warp power is channelled through them, they simply fail and need to be replaced?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

their "quantum torpedos" are supposed to be using zero point energy but not in a controlled manner like ZPM's (a bit like how since the 1940's humans could make fusion bombs but as of today still haven't mastered controlled fusion power)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    their "quantum torpedos" are supposed to be using zero point energy but not in a controlled manner like ZPM's (a bit like how since the 1940's humans could make fusion bombs but as of today still haven't mastered controlled fusion power)
    IIRC that comes from one of the Trek Technical Manual books, which operate in a bit of a canon grey zone...

I’m sure you know this already SR, but for anybody who doesn’t: Trek canon is only what is depicted on screen, so anything in books is by definition not canon. However, traditionally the writers of the Trek shows/movies (ie: the people who actually write the canon!) use those Technical Manual books as guides for writing the technology of the universe. So, grey area.

IIRC that comes from one of the Trek Technical Manual books, which operate in a bit of a canon grey zone...

I’m sure you know this already SR, but for anybody who doesn’t: Trek canon is only what is depicted on screen, so anything in books is by definition not canon.
    I know I only said this cause this book was written by one of the TV show's writers (so I reckon that makes it canon)