phaser bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Actually this got me thinking - we did see in DS9 ("Rocks and Shoals") that, at least for the Defiant's pulse phaser cannons, they did use some kind of power coil or power cell that burned out after a lot of use. They had that whole ritual for displaying them in the ship's mess hall as a trophy that the ship was still going, despite seeing so much combat.
    Yeah, that’s what I mean. But we’ve never really seen anything else that implies that Phasers use power cells.

We know that it’s never brought up in Enterprise. The Phasers there just seems to run off ship’s main power via the EPS grid, and Reed was able to boost their power by linking them to the impulse reactors (which damaged the ship in the episode they were first featured in but we don’t know if he was able to fix that issue after).

We know that as was pointed out Phaser reserves could apparently be depleted in a Constitution class ship but that they could then be recharged in TOS.

We know from TMP and onwards that Phasers were linked to the Warp Core to gain a boost in power (which was a convenient way of explaining why an energy weapon that should be travelling at light speed cannot be used at Warp...).

And we know that Defiant used the Energy Cells and that Voyager never seemed concerned about losing phaser power despite all their oft spoken concerns with conserving energy.

Based on all that the best assumption I can make is that the phasers are run off a separate battery that can be recharged by the Warp Core. This makes sense since you’d still want your ship to be able to fight even if main power goes off line or you need to Eject the Warp Core. Since that would still be a concern in the TMP and TNG eras and Decker in TMP specifies that the Warp Core gives the phasers a boost by directing power directly to them, we can assume that the Phasers would still function without the core even then but they’d lose that boost. The power cells we see in Defiant are possibly a trade off. The Warp Power in a war is probably needed elsewhere like maintaing the shields or boosting the impulse engines and so on, but you still want that power boost to the phasers. So you use the independently charged power cells to add that boost.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Perhaps the coils are not a "stand alone" power source, but more a power "converter" After X amount of warp power is channelled through them, they simply fail and need to be replaced?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

their "quantum torpedos" are supposed to be using zero point energy but not in a controlled manner like ZPM's (a bit like how since the 1940's humans could make fusion bombs but as of today still haven't mastered controlled fusion power)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          their "quantum torpedos" are supposed to be using zero point energy but not in a controlled manner like ZPM's (a bit like how since the 1940's humans could make fusion bombs but as of today still haven't mastered controlled fusion power)
          IIRC that comes from one of the Trek Technical Manual books, which operate in a bit of a canon grey zone...

I’m sure you know this already SR, but for anybody who doesn’t: Trek canon is only what is depicted on screen, so anything in books is by definition not canon. However, traditionally the writers of the Trek shows/movies (ie: the people who actually write the canon!) use those Technical Manual books as guides for writing the technology of the universe. So, grey area.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            IIRC that comes from one of the Trek Technical Manual books, which operate in a bit of a canon grey zone...

I’m sure you know this already SR, but for anybody who doesn’t: Trek canon is only what is depicted on screen, so anything in books is by definition not canon.
            I know I only said this cause this book was written by one of the TV show's writers (so I reckon that makes it canon)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
              I know I only said this cause this book was written by one of the TV show's writers (so I reckon that makes it canon)
              Nope.

Comment

Working...
              X