phaser bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phaser bank

Is there an episode of Star Trek where they talk about what the phaser bank could be called if it were improved?
    Daniel L Newhouse

You mean like how DS9 and the TNG movies introduced quantum torpedoes?

No. Simply put it's not the same thing. As an energy weapon making a Phaser more powerful is simple. You find away to either make it more energy efficient or directly put more energy into it. Evidently over the eras of star trek we've seen this occur many times. DSC shows phasers as brief blue pulses. TOS shows sustained blue beams. The TMP era shows orange pulses. TNG and later a sustained beam except for the defiant and federation fighters which use pulse phaser cannons which seemingly pack a big punch.

So it's all about the energy fed in and the resulting output. But if you change the name PHASed Energy Retification then you change what the weapon is.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      You mean like how DS9 and the TNG movies introduced quantum torpedoes?

No. Simply put it's not the same thing. As an energy weapon making a Phaser more powerful is simple. You find away to either make it more energy efficient or directly put more energy into it. Evidently over the eras of star trek we've seen this occur many times. DSC shows phasers as brief blue pulses. TOS shows sustained blue beams. The TMP era shows orange pulses. TNG and later a sustained beam except for the defiant and federation fighters which use pulse phaser cannons which seemingly pack a big punch.

So it's all about the energy fed in and the resulting output. But if you change the name PHASed Energy Retification then you change what the weapon is.
      Spot-on, across the board.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Spot-on, across the board.
        This ain't my first Academy Lecture.

Comment

Interesting to know in Star Trek universe have ZPM?

If yes, this is very good because it will infinity energy for weapons.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_O'Neill View Post
            Interesting to know in Star Trek universe have ZPM?

If yes, this is very good because it will infinity energy for weapons.
            They do not.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

They do not.
              This is bad because without ZPM, impossible to have infinity energy for weapon, if power battery will empty, weapon also will shutdown, in battle situation = death.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_O'Neill View Post
                This is bad because without ZPM, impossible to have infinity energy for weapon, if power battery will empty, weapon also will shutdown, in battle situation = death.
                In 53 years of Trek, a starship has never run out of gas due to firing phasers.

Comment

Because it would be a boring episode.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

In 53 years of Trek, a starship has never run out of gas due to firing phasers.
                    But their energy storage has been depleted. As I recall, in "The Doomsday Machine", when Kirk & the scouting party beam over to the destroyed Constellation, Scotty reports that Constellation's phaser banks were drained, saying something about not giving up without a fight.
                    Later on, after Decker had taken command of Enterprise, Constellation was able to fire again after Scotty had recharged the weapons to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      But their energy storage has been depleted. As I recall, in "The Doomsday Machine", when Kirk & the scouting party beam over to the destroyed Constellation, Scotty reports that Constellation's phaser banks were drained, saying something about not giving up without a fight.
                      Later on, after Decker had taken command of Enterprise, Constellation was able to fire again after Scotty had recharged the weapons to some degree.
                      weaponry that didn't have a prayer of penetrating the neutronium hull on that thing

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        weaponry that didn't have a prayer of penetrating the neutronium hull on that thing
                        True enough. That was a fight they could not win conventionally.

Ever read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_(Star_Trek) ?

Comment

We do know the Defiant uses power cells for her phasers. But I always kind of assumed they were power boosters rather than an actual method of running the phasers themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            We do know the Defiant uses power cells for her phasers. But I always kind of assumed they were power boosters rather than an actual method of running the phasers themselves.
                            Actually this got me thinking - we did see in DS9 ("Rocks and Shoals") that, at least for the Defiant's pulse phaser cannons, they did use some kind of power coil or power cell that burned out after a lot of use. They had that whole ritual for displaying them in the ship's mess hall as a trophy that the ship was still going, despite seeing so much combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              True enough. That was a fight they could not win conventionally.

Ever read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_(Star_Trek) ?
                              oh yeah...and interesting that they postulated that those doomsday weapons were originally built as anti-Borg weaponry

Comment

Working...
                              X