• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Happy Refrain (206)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE ORVILLE - SEASON TWO
    A HAPPY REFRAIN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206
    Claire decides to take her affection for Isaac to the next level by asking him out on a date, initiating a relationship that she knows he might not be capable of.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 02 February 2019, 10:02 PM.

The ending was over the top, but overall I liked the episode and have enjoyed how they handle Isaac.

The mustache
    sigpic

Comment

I'm 100% sure I've seen this episode somewhere before. That's not to say this was bad, just really terribly derivative.

For me the highlight of this episode was the B-plot with Bortas's mustache
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I'm 100% sure I've seen this episode somewhere before. That's not to say this was bad, just really terribly derivative.

Honestly I'm starting to think Seth MacFarlane wasn't expecting a second season and was just like "Crap... I have no idea what to write about now... TO THE TNG LIBRARY!"
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

In the words of Rory from the Legends of Tomorrow, HEY! They worked hard to be derivative! I thought this was a meh episode. A good watch but nothing noteworthy...beyond the mustache.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

If we are being fair, a lot of episodes rip off Star Trek. I let it slide because it's a parody
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah, definitely a "meh" story this week.

But here's a point.. The Union's Holodecks are every bit as advanced as the Federations, but they don't have Transporters? As I recall, Holodeck and Transporter tech. are somewhat intertwined on Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                Yeah, definitely a "meh" story this week.

But here's a point.. The Union's Holodecks are every bit as advanced as the Federations, but they don't have Transporters? As I recall, Holodeck and Transporter tech. are somewhat intertwined on Trek.
                Yeeees and no... It kinda depends on what Holodeck you're talking about. In TNG it's fairly reasonably demonstrated that some matter on the Holodeck is replicated. Replicators do work in a similar fashion to the Transporters. They take energy and reassemble it into matter. So if a person has a drink on the holodeck the liquid is real. Otherwise by the time we get to Voyager it's fairly well maintained that everything on the holodeck is just a holographic projection of Photons and Forcefields to create a realistic illusion. Though I have always thought that the difference could be just a case of changing the setting on the Holodeck for the sake of power consumption. You want to save power, then you just have holograms. You want a more advanced experience that uses more power you get holograms with replicated matter to add that authenticity.

I suppose you could argue though that replicating matter into food and drink items would be easier than transporting a living human. After all, if a molecule goes missing along the way or some parts of the meal aren't quite replicated accurately it doesn't really matter. If that happens during transport with a living being people would die.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Okay so Looney is going to jump in here.

Highlights of this episode:

Bortus' moustache / mustache.
                  LaMarr and Malloy running to the bridge to tell Ed and everyone about the date.
                  Finding a way to get Norm MacDonald on the screen.

Having said these were the highlights was not to say this was a bad episode. It was "Meh" as Annoyed said. Not a bad episode at all, but I am definitely waiting for this show to stop with the "Meh" episodes already.

Are we all in agreement that Season 2 is off to a rough start?

I think that possibly the best episode to date was HOME, 2.3. But I feel like they spoiled that with the introduction of Lt Talla Keyali. MacFarlane pointed out that it was out of the ordinary for Alara Kitan to have joined The Union and then her replacement is another Xelayan woman just like her... REALLY?!?!?!?! Honestly disappointment has been par-for-the-course this season, but thankfully it has just been mild disappointment. I'm hoping that these early episodes are suffering from a rush to get Season Two done for a September premier. Then when a more reasonable premier date time frame was established more thought was put into upcoming episodes. I mean we know this was definitely just an expansion of Data's 'relations' on TNG. Paying tribute to Trek is fine, but it can't be so obvious. I'm not really disliking the entertainment value, but it needs to get passed "Meh" already and inspire me to come here and say more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    Okay so Looney is going to jump in here.

Are we all in agreement that Season 2 is off to a rough start?
                    Welcome!

Yes, I agree

Also, Norm MacDonald as Yaphit in human form was great!
                    sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one that cracked up at "lets flip the table" *table gets flipped literally*?

Also enoyed the moustache.

Comment

Working...
                      X