Stargate Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Music

What orchestra(s) performed the themes of the Stargate shows and movies? It's especially interesting that in SGA a chorus of "angels" or whatever are used for added effect to the music. Who put it together, making it sounds almost religious?!

Quick answer: None, for the most part.

Longer answer: The 1994 movie used the 'Sinfonia of London', conducted by Nicholas Dodd and composed by David Arnold. The two Direct-To-DVD movies used the Seattle Northwest Sinfonia. But the TV series used sampled music throughout, occasionally combined with live instruments (depending on the individual composer for SG-1 as it had multiple composers). Supposedly the SG-1 theme was still done by David Arnold and not Joel Goldsmith (it has a different quality than the rest of the music done for the early episodes).

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
      What orchestra(s) performed the themes of the Stargate shows and movies? It's especially interesting that in SGA a chorus of "angels" or whatever are used for added effect to the music. Who put it together, making it sounds almost religious?!
      I had the exact same question about the chorus of the Atlantis opening and I found this from way back.

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...eme-song-words

from the discussion Joel Goldsmith was apparently on record saying the chior music was "Latin Gibberish" Alas Joel Has passed away so no way to confirm there.

S.S.

Comment

If you ask me, SGU's soundtrack was Goldsmith's masterpiece. The music was a perfect fit for the show, especially in battle scenes.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          If you ask me, SGU's soundtrack was Goldsmith's masterpiece. The music was a perfect fit for the show, especially in battle scenes.
          I wish so, so much that they had done a soundtrack release of Universe's score. His work on that show was absolutely amazing.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I wish so, so much that they had done a soundtrack release of Universe's score. His work on that show was absolutely amazing.
            It was the first time in my life (last year) that I wanted to buy a soundtrack and yea, likewise, I was very disappointed that it was never released. My guess is that time ran short due to the cancellation and maybe something to do with the author copyrights (RIP).

The best I could find was a youtube video
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Extended Stargate Universe Unofficial Soundtrack
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCvv...5_qnwmw19dVFaK

"Gauntlet" is near perfect :
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ocbg0wExX0
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I was actually listening to it the other day and realized how much of a geek I am xD
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by platschu View Post
                  extended stargate universe unofficial soundtrack
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcvv...5_qnwmw19dvfak

"gauntlet" is near perfect :
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocbg0wexx0
                  wow

SGU did get the best scoring I have to say! Even if I wish it never happened and they poured the money into SGA.

Just sayin

S.S.

Comment

In an old JM Blog post from 2012, JM said this about the Gauntlet ending scene music:

Originally posted by JM's Blog
                    Finally, we come to Joel’s last piece for the Stargate franchise, that beautiful closing theme to the SGU finale, Gauntlet. I have to admit that, at the time the episode was being produced, I wasn’t so sure I wanted Joel to score the montage. When we received the director’s cut, the sequence had included a gorgeous piece that I felt was nothing short of perfect. I loved Joel’s work, knew what he was capable of but, I have to admit, I doubted even he could trump the music that accompanied the director’s cut. But Joel wanted to try. He did. And succeeded. If that original piece was nothing shot of perfect, then the closing piece Joel came up with was beyond perfection.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I have listened Gauntlet in the morning and it has stuck in my head for the whole day. It is such a simple melody like walking up and down on the piano, but it is so cool that how slowly it changes the tone and the glimpse of hope appears. That is the reason it was amazin to see Eli looked into the distance and it was a very clever and emotional ending for Universe.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        I have listened Gauntlet in the morning and it has stuck in my head for the whole day. It is such a simple melody like walking up and down on the piano, but it is so cool that how slowly it changes the tone and the glimpse of hope appears. That is the reason it was amazin to see Eli looked into the distance and it was a very clever and emotional endingEternal cliffhanger, leaving the fans to rot in a cesspool of depression and sorrow, for Universe.
                        Sorry but had to fix your post
                        Spoiler:

Comment

The Epilogue could have been a perfect series finale, so they should have rearranged the episode order and a few scenes.

You know the universe is infinite... Maybe we will see them again one day.

Comment

Working...
                          X