Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shards of the past. A SW fan film

sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Wow that's bizarre timing - I literally just watched this yesterday.

Good on you for thinking to post it here though, it didn't even occur to me!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought people might find it interesting
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        I thought people might find it interesting
        Wow that's some quality stuff right there, I did enjoy it. Especially the Australian Palpatine (his accent is funny)
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Yeah the Palpatine was slightly off...

But I thought it was interesting how the people who made this tried to blend all three eras of the Star Wars universe. Vader and Palps from the OT, clone trooper armour and weapons from the PT, and Vader stopping the clone 'chaingun' blasts was straight out of The Force Awakens. It was a nice effort, without being too in-your-face about it.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Wow that's some quality stuff right there, I did enjoy it. Especially the Australian Palpatine (his accent is funny)
            "Crikey! It's a rebel fleet"

Comment

So, apparently Disney has claimed the project and now claims all the money.

Somebody tell me I missed something but SWTheory asked Disney for very specific instructions on how he could create this project and he followed it to the letter including the 'no ad revenue' rule. Then Disney decides to copyright strike it, instate ad revenue, and claim it all.

Did I miss something? Does anyone else have a problem with this? Cuz this seems scummy to the max.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                So, apparently Disney has claimed the project and now claims all the money.

Somebody tell me I missed something but SWTheory asked Disney for very specific instructions on how he could create this project and he followed it to the letter including the 'no ad revenue' rule. Then Disney decides to copyright strike it, instate ad revenue, and claim it all.

Did I miss something? Does anyone else have a problem with this? Cuz this seems scummy to the max.
                As I read it here:

- the creator contacted "an employee" at Lucasfilm
                - that someone said it was fine if there was no crowdfunding and no YouTube monetizing
                - video is released...on YouTube
                - video becomes popular, creator starts making bank
                - Warner/Chappell, a conglomerate that publishes for Disney, files a claim for unauthorized use of The Imperial March
                - Warner/Chappell begins collecting ad revenue

So I'm seeing a number of problems here...
                1. The creator just contacted 'someone' at Lucasfilm. Nowhere does it say he contacted their legal group and received legal authorization, just that 'someone' said okay. That's not legally binding
                2. The creator only contacted 'someone' at Lucasfilm. Disney owns the franchise, so it would probably have been their final word on whether or not the film was allowed, and it appears the creator made no attempt to get legal authorization from them
                3. The video got released on YouTube, and was apparently pulling in ad revenue, in violation of the terms of the questionable authorization
                4. Warner/Chappell is not Disney and not owned by Disney, they're just a distributor, so their claim over the Imperial March is a little questionable too
                5. Warner/Chappell has an existing reputation for this sort of thing
                6. the creator is falsely (or ignorantly) conflating Warner/Chappell with Lucas and Disney, claiming that they're the ones doing this

So from what I'm reading....the author halfassed seeking permission, got 'permission' from someone who had no authorization to do so, went ahead and made the video and then published it in violation of the bad authorization, has been hit with infringement claims by another bad actor, and is wrongly trying to blame Lucas/Disney for the entire comedy of errors.

As impressive as the video is, I can't say that I think highly of anybody involved in this clusterf***.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

As impressive as the video is, I can't say that I think highly of anybody involved in this clusterf***.
                  I can't believe whoever made this video didn't expect to get spanked by Disney, I mean it's quite obvious. Had to be motivated by pure fan passion, otherwise you're right this guy is not smarter than my baloney sandwich I had for lunch yesterday.

Not to mention it is a classic corporate move to say ''Please go ahead, if you don't make money out of it we're fine'' and then lift the carpet under the creator's feet to snag all the profits. It's free real estate!

I do hope that we'll see more of mate Australian Palpatine, I must say he's my favorite all-time character in the whole SW franchise.
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Due to what is going on with htis film now. Its a fan film! Lucasfilm used to figgin love these things! What happened, and no dont say "Disney Happened" because its not Disney's fault, Somebody in Lucasfilm got greedy and figured hey, lets do this.

When you really get down to it, Imperial March is really made directly by John Williams, and if its copyrighted, even the remixes of it are to be hit wityh copyright issues too right ? Isnt that what this boiled down to ? Use of copyrighted music and then Disney wanted to get into the money of a fan made project ?

Now in light of all this, many star wars fans are calling for a boycott of episode 9. Which we all know will be a dumb idea

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                    X