Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who observe it, Merry Christmas!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who observe it, Merry Christmas!

and for those who don't, happy whatever it is you do celebrate.

Solstice and yule myself... but gladly sharing in the holiday cheer of everyone else...

Merry Christmas to all Gaters!

* I admit, it's the mandatory days off of work, I love the most.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Joyeux Noël!
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        * I admit, it's the mandatory days off of work, I love the most.
        We don't get that here, sadly. Many employers will give Christmas off, but not all, and there is no law saying they have to do so. A lot of people have to work the holiday, too. It's entirely up to the individual employer.

Look at retail. Many chains are starting to force their employees to work Thanksgiving as "Black Friday" gets pushed into thanksgiving to increase sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          We don't get that here, sadly. Many employers will give Christmas off, but not all, and there is no law saying they have to do so
          GOP & evangelicals especially take note: Christ or capitalism, can't have both

and with that in mind hope you had a merry (lack of?) christmas

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          Joyeux Noël!
          tabernac! you too

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Solstice and yule myself... but gladly sharing in the holiday cheer of everyone else...

Merry Christmas to all Gaters!
          back to you, my sun & stars (romantic isn't it)

btw do you '"observe" yule out of belief or mainly as a statement of "rebellion" against conventional christmas? -_-

Comment

Meanwhile in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster - A list of upcoming holidays in January 2019:

Jan 1st Another Friggin Year Day
            Jan 2nd Swiss Cheese Day
            Jan 3rd Make Macaroni Pictures Day
            Jan 4th Spaghetti Day
            Jan 5th International Verbal Abuse Day
            Jan 6th Extra Cuddles Day
            Jan 7th No Knitting Day
            Jan 8th Bubble Bath Day
            Jan 9th Walk Like an Egyptian Day
            Jan 10th Peculiar People Day
            Jan 11th Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Day
            Jan 12th Penne in Your Thoughts Day
            Jan 13th Sceptics Day
            Jan 14th Wear a Collander Day
            Jan 15th Unicorn Day
            Jan 16th Nothingness Appreciation Day
            Jan 17th International No Farting Day
            Jan 18th Egg Juggling Day
            Jan 19th Procrastination Day Tomorrow
            Jan 20th Marx Brothers Quote Day
            Jan 21st Ravioli Day
            Jan 22nd Quantum Cheese Day
            Jan 23rd Get Your Tongue Round Some Linguine Day
            Jan 24th Invent a God Day
            Jan 25th Burns Night
            Jan 26th String Appreciation Day
            Jan 27th Llama Day
            Jan 28th Black Pepper with Everything Day
            Jan 29th Curmudgeons Day
            Jan 30th Exercise Your Brain Day
            Jan 31st Honey Badger Avoidance Day
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

We don't get that here, sadly. Many employers will give Christmas off, but not all, and there is no law saying they have to do so. A lot of people have to work the holiday, too. It's entirely up to the individual employer.

Look at retail. Many chains are starting to force their employees to work Thanksgiving as "Black Friday" gets pushed into thanksgiving to increase sales.
              Doesn't necessarily have to be retail....law enforcement and emergency response personnel also work pretty much all holidays by simple fact of them being on call pretty much 24/7/365

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                Doesn't necessarily have to be retail....law enforcement and emergency response personnel also work pretty much all holidays by simple fact of them being on call pretty much 24/7/365
                There is a big difference between police/fire and other emergency response personnel and someone selling crap at a retail outlet or answering the phones at a call center.

I'd like to see federal laws requiring that any day the federal govt. is closed or the schools are closed (for weather, for ex.) all private employers outside of emergency response be given the day off too.

Comment

There is a big difference between police/fire and other emergency response personnel and someone selling crap at a retail outlet or answering the phones at a call center.

I'd like to see federal laws requiring that any day the federal govt. is closed or the schools are closed (for weather, for ex.) all private employers outside of emergency response be given the day off too.
                  But but.. the Confederates wanted to boycott Christmas, because it's a nasty European tradition.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Over here it's a national holiday, and boxing day as it were depends on the company but all federal buildings will be closed, including financial instutions.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                    btw do you '"observe" yule out of belief or mainly as a statement of "rebellion" against conventional christmas? -_-
                    Not so much belief as it feels more natural to me, and no rebellion against Christmas or the Catholic religion.
                    We simply never celebrated it to start with as a family either -- nurtured into me, I guess.

We do gift exchange at new year's and celebrate that in full. Just not Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                      back to you, my sun & stars (romantic isn't it)

And winter is coming...

Comment

Where is Jelgate's gift?
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

In my belly. That bacon was delicious.

Comment

Working...
                          X