• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution (2019)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SPECIALS
    RESOLUTION
    NEW YEAR'S DAY 2019
    The Doctor and her friends return home to discover that an alien creature, recovered from an archaeological dig, has come back to life and taken control of a host -- threatening the entire planet with the return of an ancient evil.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 January 2019, 09:03 PM.

WARNING SPOILERS INCOMING

OMG Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Spoiler:
    That was fun. That was perhaps even a fantastic Dalek episode. Not a huge Dalek fan but this was a good show. I have to give it to them for the production values because the show looked like it was a movie. It's been like forever since we have seen a Dalek out of its shell. That was brilliant. I didn't care much for the B plot and all the domestic stuff but the A plot was just right for me and I really did enjoy this episode a whole lot.

I love how the Dalek was here in 9th Century Earth and they cut it into 3 to keep the planet safe, but in true trope fashion someone does something that brings it back to life, and that was with the UV lamp. But meh it added to the suspense.

Did anyone notice through that middle part of the episode in the archive a constant ticking noise in the background behind the music? It added to the atmosphere and suspense.

I'm amused at how incompetent the UK is by disbanding UNIT. Brilliant job there guys. I guess the country with the most alien threats forgot that, thanks Amy. But it is what it is and that scene wasn't bad and not too heavy handed about the whole Brexit thing.

Overall I loved this episode and I love Jodie.

8/10
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Well, I'm going to have to go back and rewatch this, as Space made an absolute clusterf*** of airing this episode.

A 60 minute show....in a 90 minute timeslot. For the last 45 minutes of the show (ie the entire second half), the show did not air uninterrupted for more than seven consecutive minutes before cutting to commercial breaks that were 14, 12, 15, and 12 ads long -- I counted.

So I really have no idea how well this episode was written or paced, or whether it had any flow to it at all.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'll concur, Coco - it was a good episode, good action, great reinvention of the Dalek(s). It was good to be scared of them again.

I also agree that the B story line could be flushed in a heartbeat, reducing the story back to a 45-50 minute duration without any hassle whatsoever. I know that Ryan's character development has been hanging on this father/son story arc, but I really felt like I was watching Neighbours, not Doctor Who, every time the 2 characters sat down to talk.

(I have traditionally enjoyed Doctor Who as a way to escape reality - not face it.)
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Of course it had to be the Daleks. That said, I really liked this Episode. It comes closest to what I expect from the Doctor, the only thing I really have to nag on is Jodies serious face. By now I got no issue with Jodie, but she just doesnt get that Badassness across the screen. Capaldi and Tennant both had this presence and look that just let you know, this guy is crazy enough to make good on his promises. With Jodie it just looks cute when she tries to be threatening.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I was holding out a small sliver of hope that after being told UNIT wasn't available, she would ask for Torchwood and/or Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by gnoel809 View Post
              I was holding out a small sliver of hope that after being told UNIT wasn't available, she would ask for Torchwood and/or Captain Jack.

Well at least I wasn't the only one to think that.
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnoel809 View Post
                Mentioning a favorite character or characters is not the same as having them appear. I had hoped a former Doctor or companion would show up.
                Total syffy posts: 36,690
                (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                Matthew 5:9

Comment

Working...
                X