Effects of continued Stargate travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects of continued Stargate travel?

While watching Rodney McKay discuss his macros for the chain of space gates between the Pegasus and Milky Way Galaxies back to Earth. He says the trip takes about half an hour. What happens to the traveler during that half hour? What effects does so much gate travel in general have on a traveler constantly going back and forth? Physical, physiological and mental effects? Surely there could be a story arc contemplating some negative effects of constant and frequent gate travel....

I forgot that out of the blue travelers from Pegasus to Earth now have to spend 24 hours on the Midway, something never mentioned before during all the travel between Atlantis and Earth. Is this related somehow to the effects of gate travel or to a new protocol that assumes germs and bugs unique to each galaxy need to be checked??

Comment

There are no effects. They're de-materialized and have no awareness of anything that happens from the time they enter the gate to the time they re-emerge on the other end. Remember how Teal'c was stored in the Stargate's buffer in "48 Hours" and how he was perfectly fine after they pulled him out?

As to the 24 hour quarantine. It was explained that they instituted the policy in response to Atlantis' earlier problem with the virus from Tabula Rasa. That was season 4's 6th episode. The first reference to the quarantine came in the 8th episode, "The Seer:"

CARTER: Mr. Woolsey! How was your trip?

WOOLSEY: Well, spending a day in quarantine on the Midway Station wasn't exactly my idea of a good time, but I suppose it beats a three-week journey on the Daedalus.

(He pushes the handle of his suitcase down, picks up the case and he and Sam walk up the stairs toward her office.)

CARTER: Well, that quarantine was only set up at the insistence of the I.O.A.

WOOLSEY: In response to some recent contagions that have taken hold on this base. Let's face it, Midway is the only buffer between Pegasus and the Milky Way. It can't hurt to err on the side of caution. Anyway, it gave me a chance to prepare for your three-month evaluation.
      We first saw characters have to sit through it in Midway, which is what I assume you just watched. There they reference the reason for it briefly:

LEE: Right, of course. So then you also know about the twenty four hour quarantine before it can let you carry on to Earth.

(As Ronon glares at Bill, Teal'c walks closer to Bill and looms over him threateningly. Bill's voice becomes more uncertain as he continues talking.)

LEE: Don't wanna pass on any of those pesky Pegasus germs to the folks back home.
      Last edited by Xaeden; 14 December 2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Physically, not much happens. Since technically the original object doesn't exist (it's just energy). Psychologically, knowing that the gates disassemble you down into atoms and turn you into energy can be disconcerting.

If anything would happen to the energy signature, I guess something could go wrong. But so far nothing ever happened. And an incomplete signature would never get reassembled anyway. The technology behind the gates are so far beyond our understanding that we can't possibly know what kind of safeguards they have.

Comment

Can one imagine the psychological effects of the anxiety associated with interaction with countless good and bad aliens, facing death all the time, being injured repeatedly and having to constantly engage in self-sacrifice to save one's associates?? Who could ever relax even on R&R without medication?!

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
            Who could ever relax even on R&R without medication?!
            Who needs medication when you can just close your eyes and see the world through the eyes of a barber in Indiana?

Comment

Working...
            X