Default How old is destiny ship?

More than 50 million years old or 50 billion years old?

Default Re: How old is destiny ship?

I think destiny is about 50 million years old... it was launched soon after the creation of the stargates

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Furling View Post
    50 billion years old?
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably not older than the universe.

Hard to tell. Rush says ''hundreds of thousands of years ago'' in the intro of SGU, but at some point it was determined it must've been more like a million or more.

This again is another unanswered question, that we would've probably found out during the subsequent seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    This again is another unanswered question, that we would've probably found out during the subsequent seasons.
    I doubt it. The impression I got was that the writers were intentionally trying to downplay the previously established age of the Ancients for the new viewers who they were trying to appeal to. While the numbers presented in Sg-1 are extreme, and expecting us to believe that the Destiny could survive for ~50 million years on its own is extremer still, there was a reason for it. Dating Earth's DHD to 50 million years was more of a big, impressive number that I think they threw out in the moment, but the Ancients legitimately needed to be around 5-10 million years old in order to initiate the evolution of humans on Earth and they needed a reasonable chunk of time prior to that to grow to the point where they could build city ships and naturally ascend.

The writers could easily shave tens of millions of years off that 50 million number by saying the dating method of the DHD's power source was flawed, but I sincerely don't think they wanted to address those numbers in Universe, preferring instead to create the impression of the Ancients and the Destiny as existing in more reasonable time frames even if it contradicted Sg-1 and Atlantis and caused an issue with how the Ancients could also have created the second evolution of their form.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    I doubt it. The impression I got was that the writers were intentionally trying to downplay the previously established age of the Ancients for the new viewers who they were trying to appeal to.
    Oh I totally agree with this, that's why I never really put much importance in the dates. It's understandable the timeline gets fuzzy as the years went by, with new spin-offs, movies and all.

The reason why I'm saying we could've found out, is because of a plot hole or ''mystery'' in SGU. It was never clearly addressed as to why exactly did the Ancients never boarded Destiny?

The explanation given to us (more like a guess) was: They ascended before they could board the ship.

I don't buy this. At first I thought ''well they're Ascended right? They can go anywhere in the Universe. But then I remember the many scenes we've seen spectral Ancients dialing the gate to transport themselves on other planets. Or, in SGA, when the replicators ascend and are ''stuck'' in a very limited zone. Needless to say, this explanation doesn't solve this riddle.

Why invest so much efforts sending seeding ships and exploratory ships if you're never going to board it? One possibility that makes sense, which was submitted by Platschu (or so he claims ), is that somehow Destiny is responsible for the Big Bang and finishing its journey is going back full-circle, it is our ''destiny'' (sorry that was an easy one).

Why invest so much efforts sending seeding ships and exploratory ships if you're never going to board it?
    If the intention of SGU was that the mystery would be solved by Icarus expedition before the show's conclusion that would mean the Ancients were likely just ~10,000 years off from seeing the results of their labor themselves (even with stasis time jumps, the crew can't survive in a pod for more than several thousand years since they don't completely stop the aging process). Thus, if the Ancients predicted that the Destiny wouldn't get far enough to solve the mystery for X million of years and sent it there under the hope/assumption that their civilization would still be around by then, they would've been right had it not been for the Wraith.

Also, like you, I wouldn't be surprised if ascended beings have gated there before just because that would have opened the door for stories including them (once ascended they may have been able to obtain the knowledge the Destiny sought without going to the source, so seeing a conclusion to its mission may not have been a motivating reason for Ancients to gate there). They can easily hide themselves from the Destiny's computer, so that line doesn't apply to them. Hell, physical plane Ancients could have deleted any records of their activity there in the past, I just don't know why they would care to.

Hmm I guess the fact they were wiped out by the plague as you suggest could work, but that brings another question. Why seed gates along the way if nobody will ever explore those planets / gate on board ?

Also Ancients we've been told were great explorers and can't seem to help themselves breaking the laws to satisfy their curiosity. I'd say a couple Ancients might want to see what's out there, even if it means it's a 1 way trip.

I'd venture a wild guess. Considering there is possibly another ascended race (the planet builders), maybe the Ancients were forbidden to go there? A "mortal only" zone perhaps, and I would also guess TPTB would've chosen a different plot than the Ancients, which have been used too many times already.

But yes it's speculation so your guess is as good as mine

Why seed gates along the way if nobody will ever explore those planets / gate on board?
    Well they were probably not simply interested in the source of the cosmic radiation. It's possible that the Destiny was specifically looking for things that were not there when the seed ships first went through. Hence, the Destiny seemed to take an interest in the planet builder's world and was clearly collecting data in each galaxy (as opposed to taking a straight approach to a single location). When Eli suggested skipping the galaxy they were in, Rush took issue with this on the basis that they might miss an important piece of the puzzle.

Maybe the Destiny was designed to dial home periodically and report its findings and if something of interest appeared in a report, its builders thought it would be a good idea to be able to go ahead of schedule and have the means to easily explore whatever galaxy they were in. Like your reply, this is speculation, so I don't know. I don't even really know if physical realm Ancients actually didn't visit as I don't know if the computer can be trusted on the matter since it could easily have been wiped (particularly if lone Ancients went there to satisfy their curiosity as you suggest).

Also Ancients we've been told were great explorers and can't seem to help themselves breaking the laws to satisfy their curiosity.
    When were we told that? The Ancients had an intense scientific curiosity, but I've never thought of them as explorers. From what we know they remained mostly contained within the Milky Way for millions of years and did the same in the Pegasus galaxy following their escape from the plague. It doesn't seem as if they even went back to Milky Way at all until 10,000 years ago based off of a line about how they expected to find more of their ancient civilization in the Milky Way and, upon learning that they would instead have to rebuild their civilization (basically) from scratch they, gave up, choosing to instead ascend and whatnot.

I'd say a couple Ancients might want to see what's out there, even if it means it's a 1 way trip.
    After a certain point, they'd need at least one ZPM to make it. While we've seen that Ancient scientists have been given enough access to resources to develop and construct certain technologies in secrecy, I would guess that ZPMs were tightly regulated and someone would notice if one went missing.

Hypothetically, an Ancient might be able to secretly develop an alternate power source capable of dialing the 9th chevron, but the ability to independently develop technologies without other Ancients noticing might have only been prevalent during the plague and Wraith war eras. In the latter case, Ancient scientists may have taken a similar approach to the rogue Asgard by assuming that their brethren would be too busy to pay them much heed or, in their desperation, the Ancients in charge might have also allocated resources to scientists willing to work on technological solutions to the war without proper checks and balances in place. During that time, using those resources to make a trip to the Destiny out of curiosity was probably not high on anyone's todo list.

Then again, maybe you're right and some rogue Ancients went there, peeked around for a bit, and wiped all record of their presence before leaving.

I'd venture a wild guess. Considering there is possibly another ascended race (the planet builders), maybe the Ancients were forbidden to go there? A "mortal only" zone perhaps,
    Okay, but the Destiny computer could only reasonably be expected to have known if physical realm Ancients visited the ship, so Rush saying he learned from the computer that the Ancients never went there cannot be expected to apply to ascended Ancients.

It's possible they never got that far out there and it's possible that the reason you suggest is why, but nothing in program addresses at all whether ascended Ancients did go that far out.

and I would also guess TPTB would've chosen a different plot than the Ancients, which have been used too many times already.
    I don't think ascended Ancients would have ever been a major part of the show, but I wouldn't have been surprised if one appeared in an episode or two given that the Icarus expedition were on an Ancient ship and the ability to interact with an Ancient would be revealing. This is also a theoretically a lawless "country" where an ascended being can do whatever he or she wants since the non-interfering collective are presumably centered in and around the Milky Way. As a result, the writers could've taken a slightly different approach to an ascended Ancient in SGU (I say slightly as we had previously met Ancients who had the purview to break the rules in certain contexts/areas).

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Well they were probably not simply interested in the source of the cosmic radiation. It's possible that the Destiny was specifically looking for things that were not there when the seed ships first went through. Hence, the Destiny seemed to take an interest in the planet builder's world and was clearly collecting data in each galaxy (as opposed to taking a straight approach to a single location).
    It does seem like Destiny has a mind of its own and knows where to go, exactly where. This just gave me an interesting idea...

When were we told that? The Ancients had an intense scientific curiosity, but I've never thought of them as explorers. From what we know they remained mostly contained within the Milky Way for millions of years and did the same in the Pegasus galaxy following their escape from the plague.
    Stargate deals on such a massive scale in terms of space (Galaxies), that we sometime forget how HUGE a galaxy is. Did you know that the Milky Way alone contains over 200 billion stars and at least over 100 billion planets?

The fact that they seeded (hundreds of?) thousands of habitable planets suggest they were somehow trying to map the galaxy, excluding the inhospitable planets to ensure the survival of the life forms present or seeded. They must've met countless alien races, I like to imagine them a bit like the Star Trek of Stargate.

But I guess we mean the same thing, explorer or scientifically curious, are synonyms in my book, you ''explore'' science the same you explore land.

After a certain point, they'd need at least one ZPM to make it. While we've seen that Ancient scientists have been given enough access to resources to develop and construct certain technologies in secrecy, I would guess that ZPMs were tightly regulated and someone would notice if one went missing.
    True, which is why I don't think they were used at all.

Then again, maybe you're right and some rogue Ancients went there, peeked around for a bit, and wiped all record of their presence before leaving.
    This will lead me to the idea I talked about earlier

Okay, but the Destiny computer could only reasonably be expected to have known if physical realm Ancients visited the ship, so Rush saying he learned from the computer that the Ancients never went there cannot be expected to apply to ascended Ancients.

It's possible they never got that far out there and it's possible that the reason you suggest is why, but nothing in program addresses at all whether ascended Ancients did go that far out.
    Okay so right off the bat, I believe what Rush says about the computer and all is absolutely irrelevant. Any Ancient that might've stepped in and didn't want others to know could easily have wiped it out as you hinted, they created the ship, they know it from top to bottom, and I think a small ''hacking'' trick isn't that much of a stretch either. Not all of them were saints.

So, now to my idea, which came to me reading your post.

What if there has been MANY Ancients on board Destiny, throughout its existence? What if I told you there is no way back, and those that boarded Destiny knew they wouldn't go back. Okay so let's go bit by bit so my idea makes sense.

1- Destiny was prior ''Modern'' tech, that means no ascension yet (it is mentioned in the show that they figured out to ascend when the plague hits them, the rest died.)

2- We can't know for sure but by cosmetics only and what we've seen in SGU, I would say that Destiny's tech level predates Atlantis by a LONG time, which could mean no ZPM tech as well, since this seemed to be their latest invention in terms of power generation.

3- Either sanctioned or not, I would theorize that Ancients have been boarding Destiny throughout its existence, sporadically or constantly. They were able to dial-in using alternate power sources, maybe a controlled reaction in an Icarus type planet, we know its possible without a ZPM, but that means it is impossible for them to dial back.

4- The crews upon their last days merged into Destiny's computer using the Chair device, aka the crude version of Ascension. Destiny's computer could be a collection of thousands of Ancients minds, along with Eli's girlfriend and the others who sat in it.

5- Does that sounds crazy?