Nightflyers Discussion/Speculation/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightflyers Discussion/Speculation/SPOILERS

t just saw the first ep of nightflyers on syfy, and I only have two words for it, EVENT HORIZON, it looks like a ripoff of event horizon, or I guess you can call it an extension, what ever, it is mostly predictable, all in all, guess you can say it is so so,all and all I give it a 4

That is both a helpful and not helpful review of the show.

I see there are already three episodes out...should I watch them?
    sigpic

Comment

I watched one episode for a few minutes then decided to skip this show after hearing the F-bomb.
      Total syffy posts: 36,690
      (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
      Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        That is both a helpful and not helpful review of the show.

I see there are already three episodes out...should I watch them?
        eh...it depends, I think you should give it a try, at least the first three, I am going to give it one more try to see if it gets any better, but I don't have high hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post
          I watched one episode for a few minutes then decided to skip this show after hearing the F-bomb.
          No no words hurt the feelings?

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
          eh...it depends, I think you should give it a try, at least the first three, I am going to give it one more try to see if it gets any better, but I don't have high hopes.

I'll wait until they are done.
          sigpic

Comment

well I watched the third episode and... it got better, so I am going to give it a little more.

Comment

No no words hurt the feelings?
              Pscard feels pretty strongly about offensive language; in most cases it's not necessary. I tend to agree with him, but I don't feel as strongly about it as he does.

Comment

I mean let's be honest...In certain situations people will be swearing left and right. Do I want them to go overboard? No. Because that leads to bad writing.

But having cop shows or other settings with people under high-stress? Yeah not even having people say "Gosh darnit!" is distracting.
                sigpic

Comment

I mean let's be honest...In certain situations people will be swearing left and right. Do I want them to go overboard? No. Because that leads to bad writing.

But having cop shows or other settings with people under high-stress? Yeah not even having people say "Gosh darnit!" is distracting.
                  I agree, in some situations it's realistic to have people swearing on the screen, or would be unrealistic if they weren't.

But everyone has the right to decide what they are comfortable with, and I'm not gonna criticize anyone for their choice.

Comment

Spoilers you been warned.

I enjoy this, all through it was predictable in some respect, it wasn't in other respects, I didn't see the captain being a android and then turning out to be a genetically engineer freak that can only survive in a special container . To me I didn't get the Event Horizon feeling, that film creep me out and this never creep me out.

I did find some things strange, the crew being utterly freak out by Thale and keeping lock up and under heavy guard but just because of the say so of the captain they suddenly letting him wonder around the ship and the crew trust him enough to use him to provide entertainment, Russian Roulette! I think this show had some awesome ideas on what a telepath could do, rather than just the modane mind reading. Through their was no follow up on the fact that Thale ability appears to be somewhat addictive for the crew.

Are the volcron go guys or bad guys, where did that mold come from, what other secrets does the nightflyer holds, it seem to have been one giant play thing for Cynthia, I got a feeling it holds many many more secrets that not even Captain Eris knows about. What exactly wrong on earth, viruses are mention but not specifics.

Biggest disappointment was perhaps the fact that we didn't really get to learn much about the rescue of the crew. Nor did I entire understand why Agatha sent the message to Earth that she did, warning them to stay away from the Nightflyer.

I hope we get a season 2 at some point, plenty of loose ends to tie up.

Comment

This is a severe critic, you've been warned.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      I enjoy this, all through it was predictable in some respect, it wasn't in other respects, I didn't see the captain being a android and then turning out to be a genetically engineer freak that can only survive in a special container . To me I didn't get the Event Horizon feeling, that film creep me out and this never creep me out.
                      Coming from a guy that didn't watch Event Horizon, I also predicted that the Cpt was either an android or some freak of nature. I also predicted that the Dr. died (). This show was predictable, overall, and I usually expect more from shows that show you a clip of the ending in the first few minutes of episode one. That's usually meant to fool you, not to confirm what's going to happen.

I did find some things strange, the crew being utterly freak out by Thale and keeping lock up and under heavy guard but just because of the say so of the captain they suddenly letting him wonder around the ship and the crew trust him enough to use him to provide entertainment, Russian Roulette! I think this show had some awesome ideas on what a telepath could do, rather than just the modane mind reading. Through their was no follow up on the fact that Thale ability appears to be somewhat addictive for the crew.
                      I watched all 10 episodes in the span of 1-2 weeks, so about 2-3 episodes each night I sat down to watch NightFlyers. I must say, the writing went absolutely a-wire. There is no continuation, logic or sense to the evolution of the interactions with Thale. Agreed 100%, he went from a border-line psycho guy putting wicked images in people's head to the ''bro'' of the ship. He burns a guy alive, but yea whatever sh*t happens.

Are the volcron go guys or bad guys, where did that mold come from, what other secrets does the nightflyer holds, it seem to have been one giant play thing for Cynthia, I got a feeling it holds many many more secrets that not even Captain Eris knows about. What exactly wrong on earth, viruses are mention but not specifics.
                      This show is 45% surface, 45% cliché (The scientist that goes full The Shining with his axe was just so blatant), 1% depth and 9% mental illness.

Biggest disappointment was perhaps the fact that we didn't really get to learn much about the rescue of the crew. Nor did I entire understand why Agatha sent the message to Earth that she did, warning them to stay away from the Nightflyer.
                      This show could've been so much more! We've got great world building, I loved the whole telepath and L levels thing, the effects and CGI was great, but gosh the character development is just so horrible. You can't care for any of them, they either die or keep switching personalities so quickly that you don't know who you're dealing with anymore.

I hope we get a season 2 at some point, plenty of loose ends to tie up.
                      I don't say this lightly, because I always try to give a 2nd season to most show I dislike at first, sometimes it gets better. But in this case, I don't. I hope this show dies in the water and we get something else that is much better. NightFlyers disqualifies as sci-fi in my book. The science is invisible, this is a fantasy show and was advertised as sci-fi, which I consider a betrayal.

Even as a horror, it's bad. Good horror is about the impressions, feelings and the unseen that makes you anxious for what's coming. NF is just icing on the cake, you get the horror without any buildup, to either care about the character or build apprehension. Just boom, people get zapped by lasers, people die left and right and honestly the funniest thing was at the end when they gather up due to the system-wide ship shutdown, I was like ''Wait, there's still some other crew on board? You know all those extras that don't seem affect AT ALL by all the crazy sh*t going on?''
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

That was quick: cancelled.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          That was quick: cancelled.
                          Good!

I am not surprised one bit, I don't know who had the bright idea to take a small story and make it a TV series.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Good!

I am not surprised one bit, I don't know who had the bright idea to take a small story and make it a TV series.
                            One name alone explains this: George R.R. Martin. SyFy wanted to jump on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, and not a single person seemed to care about the quality of the production. While I would not necessarily be unfavorable to a series similar to Event Horizon per se, this show was just not good quality at all.

I watched this right after I saw the YoutTube original series Origin. While Origin was not a stellar award winning series, it did a good job working with what it had (and the concept was interesting). Origin had one thing going for it, people seemed to care about putting in the effort to produce something of quality. Nightflyers just seemed to want to slap on Martin's name and not make any effort what so ever to writing, directing, set creation, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by ssa5 View Post
                              One name alone explains this: George R.R. Martin. SyFy wanted to jump on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, and not a single person seemed to care about the quality of the production. While I would not necessarily be unfavorable to a series similar to Event Horizon per se, this show was just not good quality at all.

I watched this right after I saw the YoutTube original series Origin. While Origin was not a stellar award winning series, it did a good job working with what it had (and the concept was interesting). Origin had one thing going for it, people seemed to care about putting in the effort to produce something of quality. Nightflyers just seemed to want to slap on Martin's name and not make any effort what so ever to writing, directing, set creation, etc..
                              100% agree. I read that Martin wasn't involved at all in the production of the show, might explain why the producers weren't able to pull a Game of Thrones.

The visual effects and cast of Nightflyers were great, I mean all the actors in this show are incredible. It really was a writing problem, no substance, the show felt hollow. Funniest thing is that I also read that the producer said ''But I could've gone on for many seasons!''
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X