Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Space Exploration News - NASA / Others

This thread is to discuss anything related to real-world space exploration, news & topics of interests, emerging technologies, etc. Please refrain yourself from posting science-fiction items, unproven theories UNLESS it is directly related to factual, scientific topics.

I will begin with a breaking news...

We just got confirmation that the INSIGHT lander successfully set foot on Mars!

With only a 40% success rate, the US pulled it off again. The new immobile lander will be performing experiments to determine if heat can be found underground, and will dig approximately 5 meters deep. The data collected will shed light on Mars' secretive underground system, which we still know very little about and might reveal clues as to its creation and also understand how our planet is different in that regards. Is there heat in the soil of Mars? How has it influence its creation? What makes our planet different and unique in that regards?

It has been 6 years since any country attempted a landing on Mars and prior to today, there was only one robot left on the Red Planet, Curiosity. Seems like he will have a friend very shortly!

+1 for humanity today.

Below you will find a link that has a live stream of NASA's headquarters.

https://www.wired.com/story/watch-li...cends-to-mars/

Default Re: Space Exploration News - NASA / Others

NASA TWEET 2018-11-27 -

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1067257207799103488

Our Mars Odyssey orbiter phoned home, relaying news from @NASAInSight indicating its solar panels are open & collecting sunlight on the Martian surface. Also in the dispatch: this snapshot from the lander's arm showing the instruments in their new home: https://go.nasa.gov/2FIr1pU

Ds-oxhaWoAEtzz9.jpg

NASA TWEET 2018-11-28

Not all stars are the same. @NASAHubble captured this star cluster found at the very edges of the Large Magellanic Cloud. The cluster is made up of thousands of stars all bound together by gravity. Learn more about globular clusters here: https://go.nasa.gov/2r4dTRQ

DtC6CPnXQAAXR09.jpg

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

I was so stoked to learn that the company I order my chainmail rings from, made a chainmail skirt for the Insight project. Their scales are on Mars!

Mars lander features chain mail skirt with Saskatoon connection

And obviously, Bernice, the CEO, forgot to watch the landing.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

That's cool, I didn't know that. Looks like we're going to have to call it Sir InSight

NASA tweet - Moon expedition

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/1806266...-send-the-next

We are thrilled to be working with these companies to enable us to investigate the Moon in new ways. In order to expand humanity’s presence beyond Earth, we need to return to the Moon before we go to Mars.

The Moon helps us to learn how to live and work on another planetary body while being only three days away from home – instead of several months. The Moon also holds enormous potential for testing new technologies, like prospecting for water ice and turning it into drinking water, oxygen and rocket fuel. Plus, there’s so much science to be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I was so stoked to learn that the company I order my chainmail rings from, made a chainmail skirt for the Insight project. Their scales are on Mars!

Mars lander features chain mail skirt with Saskatoon connection

And obviously, Bernice, the CEO, forgot to watch the landing.
    I was thinking of cosplaying as Neelix next year for Halloween at work since I like to cook. I think I got the right body type and round face for it...would just need to wear some tan khakis, a Hawaiian type shirt, maybe a tan vest and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge). Maybe I'll make some gagh and Rokeg Blood Pie a la Neelix (recipes in the Star Trek Cookbook) to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge).
    I've got the Bluetooth TOS communicator that does that.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Today's breaking news, this is your favorite host, Chaka, live from the void of space. Welcome.

EXP58 successfully launched today, bringing Canadian David Saint-Jacques, which nearly missed his turn on the last failed launch, an American, a Russian and an elf on the shelf (see image) are on their way to the ISShave safely docked to the ISS. Crew is currently in orbit around Earth, safely in their SOYUZ vessel and should dock on the ISS later today. The Astronauts will perform many scientific experiments, making good use of the Zero G environment on the station.

Mission ETA: 6 months and a half.

https://twitter.com/NASASocial/statu...05607626473472

Galaxy Rise Podcast
    ?
    @rise_galaxy
    3h hours ago

Congrats @roscosmos on the successful launch!! #Exp58 crew @AstroAnnimal, @Astro_DavidS and Oleg Kononenko all my best and we're super stoked for your upcoming arrival to @Space_Station!! Though not so sure about that Elf on the Shelf going up there.. >:/
    DtfUOKAW0AEBMsg.jpg
    Last edited by Chaka-Z0; December 3rd, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

2018-12-04 NASA UPDATE

*Crew is now safely on board the ISS
    Fun fact: There has been a continuous international presence on the ISS for 18 years now.

Another important announcement came out yesterday, with less media coverage
    https://twitter.com/OSIRISREx

OSIRIS Rex has just reached the Asteroid Bennu after a two years voyage. What's so interesting about this particular floating rock? Bennu is suspected to be so old, that it actually is one of the first building blocks of the Universe following the Big Bang.

The spacecraft will orbit Bennu for observations during a period of approximately two years. That's when things gets interesting.

At the end of its planned obsolescence, OSIRIS will use its small robotic arm to scoop up 60 grams of matter using a small vacuum. The gravel / rock particles will be stored in a capsule, and the capsule will be launched towards Earth and collected by NASA scientists for analysis. This sample might reveal important clue in regards to the creation of the Universe, possibly reveal which elements were present when the Big Bang occurred, etc.

DtgmyhkXoAA0Ytb.jpg

2018-12-10 NASA UPDATE
    https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...rstellar-space

Voyager 2 has just left the heliosphere and reached the interstellar space.

Interstellar space
    The space between solar systems in a Galaxy, a deadly area, bombarded by cosmic rays. The composition is mainly ion gas and dust.

Heliosphere
    This is the ''bubble'' created by our Sun that protects us from deadly space radiation. Without this layer of protection, any human attempting to go into space would quickly be killed by radiation.

Voyager 2
    Launched in the apex of space exploration era, in 1977, shortly after her twin, Voyager 1. In the 70s, scientists determined there would be an opportunity that couldn't be missed; at the end of the decade the outer planets would be in alignment. I'm sure you are all familiar with the slingshot maneuver.

The probe took a different, longer route than Voyager 1, to study the distant planets of the Neptunian system. Its mission was completed in 1989 and the new secondary objective is to study the outer reaches of our solar system, an area we have very limited knowledge of. Voyager 2 is almost 42 years old and still functional.

pia22835a_20181206_voyager_in_interstellar_space_annotated_1920x1080_72dpi-final2.jpg

LOL @ the elf on the shelf in the ISS.

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past. And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.

...maybe a tan vest and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge).
    I think for the Voyager commbadge, maybe check out the Replica Prop Forum. Could possibly find it there, or at least info on where to get one.

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past. And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.

I think for the Voyager commbadge, maybe check out the Replica Prop Forum. Could possibly find it there, or at least info on where to get one.
    we'll see...for now I'm working on a tight budget....gotta love Christmas and its ability to drain wallets eh? but at least my Christmas shopping is done (I love online shopping )

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past.
    Thanks for the update, you beat me to it

For those who wants to listen to it, here is the link
    Don't expect much, its wind, but what is cool is that we can listen to it.

And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.
    Just saw this, and man, what an intricate machine this is. Its smiling, can you see it?

4-nasasinsight.jpg

What's coming up next?

1. InSight will gently deposit its seismometer on the ground
    2. The instrument will then be covered with a small dome
    3. The dome will protect the meter from the elements and wind/ambient noises
    4. InSight will listen to the underground, seismic activities, measuring sound waves to determine the composition of Mars core and interior

The data will surely help the scientists in their quest to understand how Mars was created, perhaps determine if life could've existed a long time ago or even now, underground

It could be a remote possibility, considering there is water on Mars, most of it being ice, but some of it being vapor that escapes through Mars' thin atmosphere. Meaning there is surely intense seismic activity underground to cause the ice to melt.

We will need to wait 2 years for the real tasty stuff though: the Mars2020 rover.

Whenever I see the acronym ISS I always think of it as the designation for Terran Empire starships in the mirror universe of ST

Whenever I see the acronym ISS I always think of it as the designation for Terran Empire starships in the mirror universe of ST
    Yep. Complete with the Dagger thru the Globe insignia.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    We will need to wait 2 years for the real tasty stuff though: the Mars2020 rover.
    Another exciting one to look forward to. I'm a big Curiosity-fan.

NASA UPDATE 2018-12-17
    https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1074333446275780608

No big news specifically for inSight or Curiosity. The search continues.

Interesting piece from NASA on the birth of planets and stars.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1074333446275780608
    Last edited by Chaka-Z0; December 17th, 2018 at 06:29 AM.

NEW DISCOVERY 2018-12-18
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/f...anet-1.4949616

A group of astronomers have spotted the farthest known object in our Solar System. Many scientists are hard at work to find clues if the hypothetical ''Planet X'' exist (More info here)

In a nutshell, it is believed that there are many planets / objects on the outer rim of our Solar System that have very, very slow orbits, some estimated to take as many as 10k years to do one revolution around the sun. Today they found proof.

This small tiny pink planet was named ''Farout'' (got to give it to them astronomers, imagination is not their strongest point). It is believed to be composed mainly of ice.

From the article:

Spoiler:
    "Farout" is about 120 astronomical units away, which is 120 times the distance between Earth and the sun, or 18 billion kilometres. The previous record-holder was the dwarf planet Eris at 96 astronomical units. Pluto, by comparison, is 34 astronomical units away.

The Carnegie Institution's Scott Sheppard says the object is so far away and moving so slowly it will take a few years to determine its orbit. At that distance, it could take more than 1,000 years to orbit the sun.

Artist concept-art of Farout
    farout.jpg

NASA UPDATE 2018-12-20
    InSight Rover
    https://twitter.com/NASAInSight/stat...85906244571136

In case you missed it, here’s one for the history books: for the first time ever, I’ve placed a seismometer on the surface of #Mars! Once it’s all set up, I can start listening for marsquakes.

If you'd like to watch the 3-4 frames Gif, here is the link

Marsquakes, that's an interesting word.