Space Exploration News - NASA / Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...id=mailsignout

This article about a 'superhubble' is interesting!
    Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
    (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

https://ktla.com/2019/03/01/nasas-in...gging-on-mars/

NASA’s InSight Lander Hits a Few Snags as It Starts Digging on Mars
      Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
      (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

This could be interesting to the folks that infest this place.....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/healt...lts/index.html

Comment

Interesting thing to find on the surface of Mars.

Mysterious 'Star Trek logo' spotted on Mars by NASA

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Interesting thing to find on the surface of Mars.

Mysterious 'Star Trek logo' spotted on Mars by NASA

The lizards are at it again!

I'd say more than likely a coincidence, otherwise if NASA suspected it was extraterrestrials this shot would not have been published for 20-30 years. Thanks for sharing Annoyed!
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

LightSail 2 Spacecraft Success!

"We're thrilled to announce mission success for LightSail 2," said LightSail program manager and Planetary Society chief scientist Bruce Betts. "Our criteria was to demonstrate controlled solar sailing in a CubeSat by changing the spacecraft’s orbit using only the light pressure of the Sun, something that’s never been done before. I'm enormously proud of this team. It's been a long road and we did it."

A couple years ago I read a little about those experiments and they had a ton of issues regarding folding the sail and successful deployment into space.

This is a revolutionary propulsion method, zero energy requirement, it's powered by the sun! Also it opens up the opportunity for lower-budget missions, which is great. Obviously the science behind how it works exactly is way beyond me but I thought this is a very interesting news.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                LightSail 2 Spacecraft Success!

A couple years ago I read a little about those experiments and they had a ton of issues regarding folding the sail and successful deployment into space.

This is a revolutionary propulsion method, zero energy requirement, it's powered by the sun! Also it opens up the opportunity for lower-budget missions, which is great. Obviously the science behind how it works exactly is way beyond me but I thought this is a very interesting news.
                As I understand it, the science is basic. Light (photons), while not having mass, does have momentum and can exert pressure on an object, allowing solar sails to work.

However, the bigger concern is the effect on the environment. Since the enviros knee jerk reaction to any source of energy is opposition, I would expect them to start bellyaching about it and before long there will be new laws banning the use of this form of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  As I understand it, the science is basic. Light (photons), while not having mass, does have momentum and can exert pressure on an object, allowing solar sails to work.
                  The biggest issue with propulsion in space is the limitations of thrusters. An action causes an opposite reaction and ultimately the fuel runs out, both aspects severely limiting achievable top speeds.

This experiment had one goal: to demonstrate it is possible to use solar wind sails and also, probably the toughest part, steer the craft. The different pictures in the article show just how complex it is.

A spacecraft can't rely on solar wind alone though since even in our solar system a few areas around Jupiter (most ppl don't realize how big this planet is) for instance blocks most of the wind therefore would leave this craft dead in the water (and further into deep space obviously).

The conclusions will be used and applied to the upcoming, new generation crafts from NASA which is... Laser propulsed Sails. The potential is incredible, with a working prototype of a laser propulsed sail it would reduce the travel time from Earth to Mars to 3-4 days instead of 5 months. Crazy eh?

EDIT: 3-4 days being the estimation to send a robot, not humans, that'd be too heavy.
                  Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 01 August 2019, 09:42 AM.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    The biggest issue with propulsion in space is the limitations of thrusters. An action causes an opposite reaction and ultimately the fuel runs out, both aspects severely limiting achievable top speeds.

This experiment had one goal: to demonstrate it is possible to use solar wind sails and also, probably the toughest part, steer the craft. The different pictures in the article show just how complex it is.

A spacecraft can't rely on solar wind alone though since even in our solar system a few areas around Jupiter (most ppl don't realize how big this planet is) for instance blocks most of the wind therefore would leave this craft dead in the water (and further into deep space obviously).

The conclusions will be used and applied to the upcoming, new generation crafts from NASA which is... Laser propulsed Sails. The potential is incredible, with a working prototype of a laser propulsed sail it would reduce the travel time from Earth to Mars to 3-4 days instead of 5 months. Crazy eh?

EDIT: 3-4 days being the estimation to send a robot, not humans, that'd be too heavy.
                    The biggest problem faced by ANY mode of transportation is energy storage or generation. We don't have the needed tech in that arena yet.

That said, your transit of Jupiter scenario isn't quite accurate. In space, an object will continue on it's course as long as nothing influences it. So as long as they have the thing on the proper trajectory when we lose LOS with it, we can regain control when it emerges from the shadow.

And as always, never forget the enviros. They will find an excuse to oppose this, or any energy generation or usage technology.

Comment

A laser can be powered by a mere few solar panels. This type of craft doesn't need ANY major equipment for power generation or conservation or distribution. Take a car, remove the engine and slap a big sail on it.

The craft has some sort of rotationary engine that enables the folding of the sail thus steering it where needed.

That's for the unmanned missions.
                      Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 01 August 2019, 01:18 PM.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

And you probably noticed I disregard your ranting and pessimistic comments because, it's there, I don't have to convince you. Science doesn't lie.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I suppose it had to happen eventually.

NASA astronaut accused of stealing identity, accessing bank account of estranged wife while in space: report
                          At least it's a "modern era" crime as befits the first crime in space.

The lawyers will have a field day with this.

Comment

The clouds of Venus join the shortlist for potential signs of life in our solar system

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Space is becoming too crowded, Rocket Lab CEO warns

Says the guy trying to start a company to launch more stuff into orbit...

Comment

be like "We got a whiff of Venus alright...and apparently Taco Bell is very popular there"

Comment

Working...
                                X