Space Exploration News - NASA / Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Exploration News - NASA / Others

This thread is to discuss anything related to real-world space exploration, news & topics of interests, emerging technologies, etc. Please refrain yourself from posting science-fiction items, unproven theories UNLESS it is directly related to factual, scientific topics.

I will begin with a breaking news...

We just got confirmation that the INSIGHT lander successfully set foot on Mars!

With only a 40% success rate, the US pulled it off again. The new immobile lander will be performing experiments to determine if heat can be found underground, and will dig approximately 5 meters deep. The data collected will shed light on Mars' secretive underground system, which we still know very little about and might reveal clues as to its creation and also understand how our planet is different in that regards. Is there heat in the soil of Mars? How has it influence its creation? What makes our planet different and unique in that regards?

It has been 6 years since any country attempted a landing on Mars and prior to today, there was only one robot left on the Red Planet, Curiosity. Seems like he will have a friend very shortly!

+1 for humanity today.

Below you will find a link that has a live stream of NASA's headquarters.

https://www.wired.com/story/watch-li...cends-to-mars/
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

NASA TWEET 2018-11-27 -

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1067257207799103488

Our Mars Odyssey orbiter phoned home, relaying news from @NASAInSight indicating its solar panels are open & collecting sunlight on the Martian surface. Also in the dispatch: this snapshot from the lander's arm showing the instruments in their new home: https://go.nasa.gov/2FIr1pU

Ds-oxhaWoAEtzz9.jpg
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

NASA TWEET 2018-11-28

Not all stars are the same. @NASAHubble captured this star cluster found at the very edges of the Large Magellanic Cloud. The cluster is made up of thousands of stars all bound together by gravity. Learn more about globular clusters here: https://go.nasa.gov/2r4dTRQ

DtC6CPnXQAAXR09.jpg
      Spoiler:

Comment

I was so stoked to learn that the company I order my chainmail rings from, made a chainmail skirt for the Insight project. Their scales are on Mars!

Mars lander features chain mail skirt with Saskatoon connection

And obviously, Bernice, the CEO, forgot to watch the landing.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That's cool, I didn't know that. Looks like we're going to have to call it Sir InSight
          Spoiler:

Comment

NASA tweet - Moon expedition

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/1806266...-send-the-next

We are thrilled to be working with these companies to enable us to investigate the Moon in new ways. In order to expand humanity’s presence beyond Earth, we need to return to the Moon before we go to Mars.

The Moon helps us to learn how to live and work on another planetary body while being only three days away from home – instead of several months. The Moon also holds enormous potential for testing new technologies, like prospecting for water ice and turning it into drinking water, oxygen and rocket fuel. Plus, there’s so much science to be done!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I was so stoked to learn that the company I order my chainmail rings from, made a chainmail skirt for the Insight project. Their scales are on Mars!

Mars lander features chain mail skirt with Saskatoon connection

And obviously, Bernice, the CEO, forgot to watch the landing.
              I was thinking of cosplaying as Neelix next year for Halloween at work since I like to cook. I think I got the right body type and round face for it...would just need to wear some tan khakis, a Hawaiian type shirt, maybe a tan vest and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge). Maybe I'll make some gagh and Rokeg Blood Pie a la Neelix (recipes in the Star Trek Cookbook) to bring in.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge).
                I've got the Bluetooth TOS communicator that does that.

Comment

Today's breaking news, this is your favorite host, Chaka, live from the void of space. Welcome.

EXP58 successfully launched today, bringing Canadian David Saint-Jacques, which nearly missed his turn on the last failed launch, an American, a Russian and an elf on the shelf (see image) are on their way to the ISShave safely docked to the ISS. Crew is currently in orbit around Earth, safely in their SOYUZ vessel and should dock on the ISS later today. The Astronauts will perform many scientific experiments, making good use of the Zero G environment on the station.

Mission ETA: 6 months and a half.

https://twitter.com/NASASocial/statu...05607626473472

Galaxy Rise Podcast
                  ?
                  @rise_galaxy
                  3h hours ago

Congrats @roscosmos on the successful launch!! #Exp58 crew @AstroAnnimal, @Astro_DavidS and Oleg Kononenko all my best and we're super stoked for your upcoming arrival to @Space_Station!! Though not so sure about that Elf on the Shelf going up there.. >:/
                  DtfUOKAW0AEBMsg.jpg
                  Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 03 December 2018, 11:11 AM.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

2018-12-04 NASA UPDATE

*Crew is now safely on board the ISS
                    Fun fact: There has been a continuous international presence on the ISS for 18 years now.

Another important announcement came out yesterday, with less media coverage
                    https://twitter.com/OSIRISREx

OSIRIS Rex has just reached the Asteroid Bennu after a two years voyage. What's so interesting about this particular floating rock? Bennu is suspected to be so old, that it actually is one of the first building blocks of the Universe following the Big Bang.

The spacecraft will orbit Bennu for observations during a period of approximately two years. That's when things gets interesting.

At the end of its planned obsolescence, OSIRIS will use its small robotic arm to scoop up 60 grams of matter using a small vacuum. The gravel / rock particles will be stored in a capsule, and the capsule will be launched towards Earth and collected by NASA scientists for analysis. This sample might reveal important clue in regards to the creation of the Universe, possibly reveal which elements were present when the Big Bang occurred, etc.

DtgmyhkXoAA0Ytb.jpg
                    Spoiler:

Comment

2018-12-10 NASA UPDATE
                      https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...rstellar-space

Voyager 2 has just left the heliosphere and reached the interstellar space.

Interstellar space
                      The space between solar systems in a Galaxy, a deadly area, bombarded by cosmic rays. The composition is mainly ion gas and dust.

Heliosphere
                      This is the ''bubble'' created by our Sun that protects us from deadly space radiation. Without this layer of protection, any human attempting to go into space would quickly be killed by radiation.

Voyager 2
                      Launched in the apex of space exploration era, in 1977, shortly after her twin, Voyager 1. In the 70s, scientists determined there would be an opportunity that couldn't be missed; at the end of the decade the outer planets would be in alignment. I'm sure you are all familiar with the slingshot maneuver.

The probe took a different, longer route than Voyager 1, to study the distant planets of the Neptunian system. Its mission was completed in 1989 and the new secondary objective is to study the outer reaches of our solar system, an area we have very limited knowledge of. Voyager 2 is almost 42 years old and still functional.

pia22835a_20181206_voyager_in_interstellar_space_annotated_1920x1080_72dpi-final2.jpg
                      Spoiler:

Comment

LOL @ the elf on the shelf in the ISS.

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past. And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        ...maybe a tan vest and hopefully a Voyager-style commbadge pin (oddly enough the only commbadge pins available are the TNG style ones, one just a pin and another with bluetooth capability so that you can actually take cell phone calls through the commbadge).
                        I think for the Voyager commbadge, maybe check out the Replica Prop Forum. Could possibly find it there, or at least info on where to get one.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past. And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.

I think for the Voyager commbadge, maybe check out the Replica Prop Forum. Could possibly find it there, or at least info on where to get one.
                          we'll see...for now I'm working on a tight budget....gotta love Christmas and its ability to drain wallets eh? but at least my Christmas shopping is done (I love online shopping )

Comment

Also, for the first time, people can listen to the sound of Mars winds blowing past.
                            Thanks for the update, you beat me to it

For those who wants to listen to it, here is the link
                            Don't expect much, its wind, but what is cool is that we can listen to it.

And oh, if you happen to follow the Insight and Rover projects on twitter, they regularly post images of their surroundings. In Insight's case, her first selfie.
                            Just saw this, and man, what an intricate machine this is. Its smiling, can you see it?

4-nasasinsight.jpg

What's coming up next?
                            1. InSight will gently deposit its seismometer on the ground
                            2. The instrument will then be covered with a small dome
                            3. The dome will protect the meter from the elements and wind/ambient noises
                            4. InSight will listen to the underground, seismic activities, measuring sound waves to determine the composition of Mars core and interior

The data will surely help the scientists in their quest to understand how Mars was created, perhaps determine if life could've existed a long time ago or even now, underground

It could be a remote possibility, considering there is water on Mars, most of it being ice, but some of it being vapor that escapes through Mars' thin atmosphere. Meaning there is surely intense seismic activity underground to cause the ice to melt.

We will need to wait 2 years for the real tasty stuff though: the Mars2020 rover.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Whenever I see the acronym ISS I always think of it as the designation for Terran Empire starships in the mirror universe of ST

Comment

Working...
                              X