Is patreon a bad model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is patreon a bad model?

So, I watch a lot of thing that are funded by patreon, be it News or reaction vids, and given the current climate, I wonder if this is a good or a bad thing.
    Patreon exists to allow me to support content creators I -LIKE- but not exactly people who tell me the truth. I like supporting my content provider, but by supporting one POV, I only support that which I like, which limits my perspective.
    Is patreon no more than the latest cash grab?
    I feel it is.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I have to say no. What you're talking about sounds like confirmation bias, that a person would seek out and support that which reinforces their beliefs. Even if they couldn't give money to those people, they probably wouldn't seek out opposing opinions, at least not seriously.

Also, politics isn't the only thing. The patreon funded things I watch include martial arts, video game let's plays, movie reviewers, animators, and digital artists.

I may be misunderstanding the question but I do not believe patreon is bad from people only supporting their own viewpoint.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I don't know a great deal about it, but as I understand it, they take a 10% cut thru fees and charges levied on both patrons and creators, and this seems excessive to me.

I also have a vague memory of a news report where Patreon exercised what amounts to editorial control, refusing to operate for someone because they disagreed with the content somehow. I'm not so fond of that idea.

Comment

Working...
      X