Extraterrestrials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    None's been found yet. Anywhere. And the likelyhood is... not great. There is not enough energy on those things to support the kind of chemical reactions life would require.
    Just because we haven't found it doesn't mean its not there. Considering how big the universe is, we're like newborn infants just starting to open our eyes. There are a lot of stars, planets and such. The odds that Earth is the sole cradle of intelligent life are very high indeed. But that is just a guess. That's all we can do is guess.

The only possible opinion we should have is "We don't know".

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      The only possible opinion we should have is "We don't know".
      I must disagree with this and Womble about me making assumptions. At this point, it is not assumptions anymore. (Just to be clear, we're not talking about ET-style aliens, just life at its simplest level)

It has been proven, time and time again, that certain bacterias are resilient enough to resist in the void of space. The Russian astronauts found bacterias hooked on the outer hull of the ISS in July 2018. They stated these were not earth-bound bacterias, but I find that hard to believe. Earth-contamination is inevitable when launching satellites or objects into space. The origin doesn't matter, what matters is that they can survive. Organisms were found on the astronauts equipment when they came back from the moon, turns out it was contamination prior to launch. Isn't it incredible that these living organisms survived all that time? Is it that much of a stretch to assume there is surely pieces of small life scattered all across the Universe? Remnants of ancient planets transformed into asteroids could very well carry life.

About comets, they are mostly made of ice and gas. When a comet flies close to a sun, the gas inside gets ignited and acts as propulsion, just like a rocket. And guess what can stay almost indefinitely in ice in a dormant state?... bacterias.

The theory that makes the most sense to me as to how life appeared on Earth, is an amalgam of factors (oxygen, water, atmosphere etc.) paired with a possible meteor strike that brought components of life, at the origin of our evolution as a species. NASA proved this theory is possible, with a hydraulic canon simulating the impact of an asteroid on Earth, that acids and bacterias can survive re-entry AND a crash at speeds approaching 11 kilometers PER seconds.

Therefore, with all these evidences, I am of the opinion that it is a certainty that life exists in space. As to complex lifeforms, that's something else which we can only speculate upon.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      Question is, did that life originate on the surface and adapt to live in the crust, or the other way round?
      We have no clue. This has only been discovered a couple weeks / month ago, and this is a valid question that's probably on every scientists head right now. Basically, the Japenese dug a 2.5 KM hole and found these unicellular organisms in sediments 20 millions years old, never unearthed before.

So either they were there at the conception of our planet, or they somehow dug their way down over millenias. Fact is, these organisms baffle scientists because they don't act like any other unicellular life we've witnessed before. Some of those have live completely off photosynthesis, some are ''zombies'' which spend all their energy to survive.

Now I ask again, if these unicellular organisms / bacterias can live in such harsh and hostile conditions, do you really think its impossiblean assumption that they are scattered across space?
      Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 20 December 2018, 06:14 AM.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        I must disagree with this and Womble about me making assumptions. At this point, it is not assumptions anymore. (Just to be clear, we're not talking about ET-style aliens, just life at its simplest level)

It has been proven, time and time again, that certain bacterias are resilient enough to resist in the void of space. The Russian astronauts found bacterias hooked on the outer hull of the ISS in July 2018. They stated these were not earth-bound bacterias, but I find that hard to believe. Earth-contamination is inevitable when launching satellites or objects into space. The origin doesn't matter, what matters is that they can survive. Organisms were found on the astronauts equipment when they came back from the moon, turns out it was contamination prior to launch. Isn't it incredible that these living organisms survived all that time? Is it that much of a stretch to assume there is surely pieces of small life scattered all across the Universe? Remnants of ancient planets transformed into asteroids could very well carry life.

About comets, they are mostly made of ice and gas. When a comet flies close to a sun, the gas inside gets ignited and acts as propulsion, just like a rocket. And guess what can stay almost indefinitely in ice in a dormant state?... bacterias.

The theory that makes the most sense to me as to how life appeared on Earth, is an amalgam of factors (oxygen, water, atmosphere etc.) paired with a possible meteor strike that brought components of life, at the origin of our evolution as a species. NASA proved this theory is possible, with a hydraulic canon simulating the impact of an asteroid on Earth, that acids and bacterias can survive re-entry AND a crash at speeds approaching 11 kilometers PER seconds.

Therefore, with all these evidences, I am of the opinion that it is a certainty that life exists in space. As to complex lifeforms, that's something else which we can only speculate upon.

We have no clue. This has only been discovered a couple weeks / month ago, and this is a valid question that's probably on every scientists head right now. Basically, the Japenese dug a 2.5 KM hole and found these unicellular organisms in sediments 20 millions years old, never unearthed before.

So either they were there at the conception of our planet, or they somehow dug their way down over millenias. Fact is, these organisms baffle scientists because they don't act like any other unicellular life we've witnessed before. Some of those have live completely off photosynthesis, some are ''zombies'' which spend all their energy to survive.

Now I ask again, if these unicellular organisms / bacterias can live in such harsh and hostile conditions, do you really think its impossiblean assumption that they are scattered across space?
        It certainly stands to reason that bacteria and such could be found in space, as we know they can survive. But as far as I know, no one has been able to point to something and definitively state that it's of non-terrestrial origin, so all we have is "probably". So the only proper answer is "we don't know" because we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          It certainly stands to reason that bacteria and such could be found in space, as we know they can survive. But as far as I know, no one has been able to point to something and definitively state that it's of non-terrestrial origin, so all we have is "probably". So the only proper answer is "we don't know" because we don't.
          True. Better be on the safe side I guess.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

That bacteria is exceedingly unlikely to be alien.

ISS is orbiting around 270 miles above ground. That's still within Earth atmopshere; the air is extremely thin but still present enough for drag to be a factor. Presence of microbes in the atmosphere has been detected as high up as 47 miles off the ground; it is quite possible that they can be carried higher still.

Another obvious contamination source is the astronauts' own equipment including space suits etc.

ALL of the "space" testing done so far on microbial life forms in space has been within atmosphere limits.

For microbes to survive interplanetary voids they would have to make it through a hell of a lot of radiation.

Those bacteria had to originate somewhere though. Moving the origin point from earth to space explains nothing.

Easy there. Bacteria's been found much deeper than 2.5km underground before. It's not terribly surprising. Microbial life originated over 3 billion years ago, when most of the mountains on Earth weren't yet mountains. Stuff that is 2.5km underground today may have been surface back then.

Lots of things are theoretically possible, but quite unlikely to be true.

Collisions that eject material from Earth into space are virtually impossible, because atmosphere interferes. Such collisions are most likely when atmosphere is not a factor- in other words the more of all that junk is flying around space, the less likely it is to carry anything life-related.

Now, space is awash in complex organic stuff. So-called building blocks of life spontaneously form on comets and what have you. So does ethanol, however, but it does not mean that there is a bar up there.
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

On my phone so I can't quote but anyways... Back home - edited for clarity' sake.

ALL of the "space" testing done so far on microbial life forms in space has been within atmosphere limits.

For microbes to survive interplanetary voids they would have to make it through a hell of a lot of radiation.

Those bacteria had to originate somewhere though. Moving the origin point from earth to space explains nothing.
              You know that most asteroids are basically leftovers from dead planets? Some as far as distant galaxies traveled all the way here for billions of years. These chunk of rocks can contain metals, uranium, ice, among other elements. It can also carry acids and microbes, perhaps trapped in ice. The comet or asteroid impacts Earth and drop whatever was on it on the surface.

As for radiation, this argument can be dismissed for two simple reasons.

1- What's the best way to protect yourself from radiation? Being deep underground. Stuff that are contained at the core of chunks of rock that can be as big as Manhattan if not bigger, will not be affected much by radiation.

2- If you read a little bit further about the intraterrestrials I talked about, it is said that these micro-organisms actually feed off the radiation emanating from the rocks. They eat radiation, literally. There could very well be similar organisms elsewhere in our own solar system, in conditions we thought could never host living things.

(also you're correct its not recent, only for some reasons I've never heard of that before and the news came out entitled ''surprise find'', my bad.)

Not only microbial life survives space. One animal that we know of does. I present to you the microscopic water bear:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...pace-17069978/

Lots of things are theoretically possible, but quite unlikely to be true.
              The impact on earth = humans is the most plausible up to this day, if we exclude religion. I have yet to hear another theory that makes more sense than this.

Collisions that eject material from Earth into space are virtually impossible, because atmosphere interferes. Such collisions are most likely when atmosphere is not a factor- in other words the more of all that junk is flying around space, the less likely it is to carry anything life-related.
              Again consider the intraterestrials. Do they have an atmosphere? Nope. If our atmosphere was to go ''poof'' in an instant, and our planet destroyed somehow, these intraterestrials could hop on a chunk of rock for quick delivery on another planet and trigger the same process all over, if the conditions are met.

Living organisms have been found in the thinnest layer of our atmosphere as well. Anyhow, it doesn't matter because even a dead planet could have bacterias within it.

Now, space is awash in complex organic stuff. So-called building blocks of life spontaneously form on comets and what have you. So does ethanol, however, but it does not mean that there is a bar up there
              A comet that flies through space may impact asteroids many times over the course of its life and assuredly will impact thousands if not millions of small micro-asteroids. People think of space as this big empty black room, but it's not. That's why space walks are so dangerous, there are micro bullets zooming around constantly.

So no, the life building blocks don't appear out of nowhere, they are actually everywhere all around us in the universe. Now what is rare, as far as we know, is having a combination of specific conditions that enables this to transform into lifeforms such as ours. Just consider the immensity of the universe, surely it's happening elsewhere and believing otherwise is foolish imo.

This summer, scientists in the Artic detected a "ghost particle" that originated from another Galaxy. Here is the link

This is not related I know but it is an example to show how much space is connected and the interconnectivity of it all.
              Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 20 December 2018, 01:51 PM.
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel L Newhouse View Post
                2) The "satellite" photos of the arctic glacier. A great shot of Amerida. A really great shot. I asked the library of congress for images, they didn't have anything shot from that high a point.
                Andrew Sullivan hand delivered copies of these photos to a representative of the University of Miami who has attended every session of congress for the past 45 years.

Her reaction was not positive, she said "Get the **** out of here now."

When I noticed her during Bill Clinton's initial state of the union address my mother punched me in the face.

She goes by the name Koine McConnay and she wears a white uniform with gold trim.
                Daniel L Newhouse

Comment

Has any TV show made mention of atomic subversion?
                  Daniel L Newhouse

Comment

There is another potential way to demonstrate life. Is there any evidence of any star closer to earth than Alpha-Centauri? Any estimate on how large?
                    Daniel L Newhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel L Newhouse View Post
                      There is another potential way to demonstrate life. Is there any evidence of any star closer to earth than Alpha-Centauri? Any estimate on how large?

Currently Alpha and Proxima Centauri are the closest stars.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X