Some General Questions on Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some General Questions on Stargate

1) When the goa'uld find out that they could inhabit human bodies and act as gods to humans?

2) Why didn't Teal'c ever remove the symbol from his forehead that had to remain hidden while on Earth? I saw in a chronology that Teal'c was born in 1900. which made him about 100 years old at his prime in the series and movies!

3) How did Stargate characters psychologically handle the fact of being the only Earthlings to know about alien life, which had to be kept a secret from 99.99999% of mankind? Including all the special issues of the technologies, alien creatures, etc.?

4) What kind of vacation schedule did the characters in SG1 and SGA have to relax and recuperate?

5) What scientific abilities did SGA and SG1 characters have to ensure that they weren't carrying or bringing back bacteria, microbes, etc. that could never be eliminated either on Earth or on other planets?

6) Sometimes I have felt overwhelmed by the sheer amount of technobabble in the shows. Did the producers ever worry about viewers not being able to handle the flow of technobabble especially from people like Jackson and McKay?

7) Was anything known in SGA or SG1 about galaxies and planets beyond the Milky Way and Pegagus galaxies?

8) Who were the source of the original populations implanted by the Ancients in all the hundreds or thousands of planets that had human populations?

9) I wondered about the interesting idea of a galactic or cross-galactic conference of humans where all the good guys could meet and share, etc.

10) How did someone like Teyla achieve administrative status in Atlantis whenever Shepard, McKay and Weir were not around? She was neither of Earth military or civilian status.

11) What was the purpose of Teyla and Ronon engaging in hand-to-hand battle training with staff when interactions with the bad guys were with weapons?!

12) Did the Ancients ever reveal their theories of where THEY came from originally? Who did they think created the Ancients?

1) When the goa'uld find out that they could inhabit human bodies and act as gods to humans?
    This was made explicitly clear in the original movie - the being later known as Ra arrived on Earth and discovered humans 10,000 years ago (approximately 8000 BC).

2) Why didn't Teal'c ever remove the symbol from his forehead that had to remain hidden while on Earth? I saw in a chronology that Teal'c was born in 1900. which made him about 100 years old at his prime in the series and movies!
    It never came up. It's possible that the medical technology wasn't widespread enough for it to be used on a large scale throughout the Free Jaffa Nation. My complete and total guess is that the Jaffa kept the tattoos(/gold emblems) for similar reasons why many Holocaust survivors never had their forearm concentration camp numbers removed/tattooed-over; that they're a reminder of the horrors inflicted on their people by a totalitarian regime.

Teal'c did have it removed in the alternate future shown in '2010.' Practically speaking though, it was just a way for viewers to be able to differentiate Jaffa from humans.

3) How did Stargate characters psychologically handle the fact of being the only Earthlings to know about alien life, which had to be kept a secret from 99.99999% of mankind? Including all the special issues of the technologies, alien creatures, etc.?
    I don't understand the question. There are thousands of people in many countries in the real world with Secret/Top Secret/SCI clearance who live like this every day. In a fictional setting, SGC-/IOA-related people would be part of that exact group. Secrecy is part of the job and the lifestyle, that's all there is to it.

4) What kind of vacation schedule did the characters in SG1 and SGA have to relax and recuperate?
    https://afbmt.com/before-bmt/air-force-benefits/

5) What scientific abilities did SGA and SG1 characters have to ensure that they weren't carrying or bringing back bacteria, microbes, etc. that could never be eliminated either on Earth or on other planets?
    They didn't always. Presumably some kind of safeguard was implemented after that incident--and we know that SGC teams go straight to the infirmary when returning from missions, as was seen in many episodes.

6) Sometimes I have felt overwhelmed by the sheer amount of technobabble in the shows. Did the producers ever worry about viewers not being able to handle the flow of technobabble especially from people like Jackson and McKay?
    Agreed, and probably. I think this may have been the driving impetus behind some later-era 'course corrections,' like how SG-1's later seasons usually involved chasing after superweapons that work *because, reasons* rather than making detailed explanations, or how SGU focused more on resources and relationships.

7) Was anything known in SGA or SG1 about galaxies and planets beyond the Milky Way and Pegagus galaxies?
    Some, certainly. In 'The Fifth Race,' O'Neill travelled to the Asgard planet Othalla in the galaxy Ida. In 'Enemies,' the team (and Apophis) travelled to an unknown galaxy. The team also travelled to the unnamed Asgard home galaxy in 'Unnatural Selection,' 'New Order' Pt 1 & 2, and 'Unending.' As of early Season 9, they were also aware that the Ancients had come to our galaxy from another. And SGU depicted two more galaxies.

8) Who were the source of the original populations implanted by the Ancients in all the hundreds or thousands of planets that had human populations?
    What? The source of the humans throughout the MW Galaxy due to the Goa'uld transplanting them, not the Ancients.

9) I wondered about the interesting idea of a galactic or cross-galactic conference of humans where all the good guys could meet and share, etc.
    Okay then.

10) How did someone like Teyla achieve administrative status in Atlantis whenever Shepard, McKay and Weir were not around? She was neither of Earth military or civilian status.
    Because a lot of the writing on Atlantis was bad

11) What was the purpose of Teyla and Ronon engaging in hand-to-hand battle training with staff when interactions with the bad guys were with weapons?!
    Hand-to-hand combat training is common in every military on Earth. You never know when you'll find yourself without a weapon.

12) Did the Ancients ever reveal their theories of where THEY came from originally? Who did they think created the Ancients?
    The implication (and I believe also the dialogue, if I remember right) is that the Alterans evolved in their home galaxy.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 10 November 2018, 09:46 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

@DigiFluid All questions are answered correctly (as far as I know), except 8: the humans in Pegasus were seeded by the Ancients (the Goa'uld never visited Pegasus).

In the case of 10 (very funny, haha ); I assume it's simply because after Weir and Sheppard, she is senior leader. McKay isn't leadership material, he isn't even a senior "officer". Teyla is/was a very competent leader of her people, and quite experienced with the Wraith and Pegasus. She also became the team's second-in-command after Ford left, and since Sheppard is Atlantis' second-in-command then she would logically be third in line.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        @DigiFluid All questions are answered correctly (as far as I know), except 8: the humans in Pegasus were seeded by the Ancients (the Goa'uld never visited Pegasus).
        That was two separate thoughts that got short-circuited into one wrong sentence. I think you must've read my wrong sentence while I was editing to correct it
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

1) I don't recall anything about the goa'uld in the 1994 film. I do remember that on SG1 the original goa'uld world they were swimming around in a river and jumped up to possess the Unas. But where did they develop the idea that they could do it either with the local Unas or later humans?

3) I know about security clearances, but here we are talking about a phenomenal change in the geocentric mindset where a tiny number of people have actual contact and interaction with aliens everywhere. It must have been a psychological issue when living back home.

4) Too bad there is no Stargate Command manual that explains all these things.

5) There was always the potential presumably to breathe something on another planet or vice versa, or discover an allergy for which we have no known remedy. Of course in the SGA episode it was the other way round, where the team was able to cure the afflicted people in the dark side.

8) Do you mean that the entire Milky Way galaxy was uninhabited until the goa'uld brought people there to assorted planets to be their slaves?

12) You mean that they were the very first sentient beings in the universe, and that instead of appearing on Earth they were the ancestors who appeared on Altera out of nowhere?

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post

In the case of 10 (very funny, haha ); I assume it's simply because after Weir and Sheppard, she is senior leader. McKay isn't leadership material, he isn't even a senior "officer". Teyla is/was a very competent leader of her people, and quite experienced with the Wraith and Pegasus. She also became the team's second-in-command after Ford left, and since Sheppard is Atlantis' second-in-command then she would logically be third in line.
            Wasn't it Opophys who was destroyed by the Replicators? That presumably could have been the start of a whole arc of interaction involving the replicators, Wraith, Goa'uld and Ori......

Comment

Great answers from @DigiFluid but like nivao I do have reserves as well.

8) How did the Goa'uld get to Earth if they didn't have human form in the first place? I doubt a bunch of blank symbiotes in Unas hosts had the capability or knowledge to build spaceships on their home-world. Logically, they had to have contact with an advanced race prior to Ra's arrival on Earth.

But, we don't know if the Ancients had seeded life on a few planets as well, wasn't it mentioned that the Dakara device was able to perform such a thing? The Ancients always seemed unable to help themselves when it comes to crazy scientific experiments that can have potential lethal consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if a Lantean accidentally brought a Goa'uld pet he forgot in his pocket on an inhabited world or something.

Also if we go back to 1) it was never really explained how the leap to System Lords happened? Okay Goa'ulds are scavengers, great, but how they managed to go from Unas into space always puzzled me. I can see a bunch of snakes taking over an entire race and absorbing their advanced tech, but they needed to get off that rock first.

I guess 8) is open for interpretation.
              Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 10 November 2018, 04:26 PM.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Teal'c was said to be about 140 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  Wasn't it Opophys who was destroyed by the Replicators? That presumably could have been the start of a whole arc of interaction involving the replicators, Wraith, Goa'uld and Ori......
                  Apophis was killed at the beginning of Season 5 in the episode "Enemies" (when replicators took over the ship he was in and crashed it onto a planet), the 2d of a 2-part episode (the first of which was "Exodus".

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                    1) I don't recall anything about the goa'uld in the 1994 film. I do remember that on SG1 the original goa'uld world they were swimming around in a river and jumped up to possess the Unas. But where did they develop the idea that they could do it either with the local Unas or later humans?
                    The film only specifies that Ra was from a dying race who found Earth at least around 10,000 years ago (but it could have been thousands of years earlier for all we know). The 10,000 year old estimate comes from radio carbon dating on tablets mentioned near the beginning of the film. The idea that the pyramids were built 10,000 years ago is a favorite of Roland Emmerich's; he also worked it into the movie "10,000 BC."

The TV franchise has never reconfirmed the idea that our entire idea of the age of Egyptian civilization is wrong. Rather, they seem to have decided to ignore it what with things like the Ancients returning to Earth from Pegasus 10,000 years ago and planting the first seeds of civilization.

3) I know about security clearances, but here we are talking about a phenomenal change in the geocentric mindset where a tiny number of people have actual contact and interaction with aliens everywhere. It must have been a psychological issue when living back home.
                    People recruited for the program likely would have psychological evaluations to determine their capacity for handling related information.

8) Do you mean that the entire Milky Way galaxy was uninhabited until the goa'uld brought people there to assorted planets to be their slaves?
                    There were no humans throughout the galaxy (that we know of and assuming the writers intend for newer information to retcon the 11,000 year old age of the civilization in "Tin Man"), but it was not uninhabited. There were a number of aliens that the Goa'uld suppressed or wiped out.

Throughout Sg-1 we saw a number of aliens who were isolated because of the Goa'uld and may have both been around before the Goa'uld came to power and have had a larger influence in the galaxy. Examples include the Crystal Aliens and the Reetou. There's no way to know that they didn't leave their planets and become suppressed all in the last 10,000 years, but this does offer a model of the type of behavior that the Goa'uld would have used to go after old aliens in an effort to ensure that they were the dominate power in the galaxy.

We also know of unspecified aliens, besides just the Unas, who were used as hosts prior to their discovery of humanity:

TEAL'C: Unas is believed to have been the first host, born of the same primordial waters as the Goa'uld. He became a myth, much like your Vampyr.

O'NEILL: That thing was a Goa'uld?

TEAL'C: Yes.

O'NEILL: I thought they preferred human hosts?

TEAL'C: There are other species far older that have been used as hosts, some of immeasurable power and savagery.

Races we know predate humans being seeded throughout the galaxy include the Nox, Asgard, and Furlings. The Nox you should know, the Asgard, while not native to the galaxy, had been active in the Milky Way for a bit before the Goa'uld arrived on Earth, and while the Furlings may or may not have originated in the Milky Way, we do not know that they operated there as well. Some of them found themselves having to later hide from the Goa'uld, and they offered select humans an opportunity to hide with them, but we don't know if those Furlings were trapped explorers from another galaxy, a group that got left behind when the rest of the Furlings left the galaxy, a rogue group who left their main sanctuary because they wanted humans, or what.

12) You mean that they were the very first sentient beings in the universe, and that instead of appearing on Earth they were the ancestors who appeared on Altera out of nowhere?
                    Nobody has ever said they were the first sapient beings in the universe. The Ancients first evolved over 50 million years ago in the Ori galaxy and left, spending thousands of years traveling through space before arriving in the Milky Way and first settling on Dakara. What other intelligent life existed in the Milky Way at the time we do not know, but whomever existed then likely either also ascended or was also killed by the plague, so the Goa'uld and any aliens they had to deal with in their fight for supremacy over the galaxy should be the first wave of aliens to evolve and develop technology in the post plague era (the plague hit 5-10 million years ago).

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    Great answers from @DigiFluid but like nivao I do have reserves as well.

8) How did the Goa'uld get to Earth if they didn't have human form in the first place? I doubt a bunch of blank symbiotes in Unas hosts had the capability or knowledge to build spaceships on their home-world. Logically, they had to have contact with an advanced race prior to Ra's arrival on Earth.
                    The Goa'uld who left their homeworld in Unas bodies had thousands of years to grow and develop. Over time they also came into contact with Ancient technology (and other alien tech) that helped them along, and they (per my earlier Teal'c quote) inhabited other alien races, which would have allowed them to advance rapidly if those aliens were scientifically capable. There's no way, though, to know how far the Goa'uld got on their own or to believe that they didn't have the capacity to develop a highly advanced civilization just by using their Unas hosts

But, we don't know if the Ancients had seeded life on a few planets as well, wasn't it mentioned that the Dakara device was able to perform such a thing? The Ancients always seemed unable to help themselves when it comes to crazy scientific experiments that can have potential lethal consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if a Lantean accidentally brought a Goa'uld pet he forgot in his pocket on an inhabited world or something.
                    The device on Dakara was said to have recreated life in the galaxy following the plague, so while that does seem to suggest it was used on a galaxy-wide level, characters repeatedly stated that they never found evidence of humans evolving on a Milky Way planet other than Earth. So there's nothing to suggest that the device on Dakara was used to create human life on any planet other than Earth.

Also if we go back to 1) it was never really explained how the leap to System Lords happened? Okay Goa'ulds are scavengers, great, but how they managed to go from Unas into space always puzzled me. I can see a bunch of snakes taking over an entire race and absorbing their advanced tech, but they needed to get off that rock first.
                    Once the Goa'uld took the Unas as hosts they were essentially at the same level as primitive human tool users and had the same or a greater capacity as humans did to learn and grow. It's possible that taking over a scientifically advanced alien allowed them to leap past their primitive tool using state. This hypothetical alien could have even been a traveler who made the mistake of visiting the Goa'uld homeworld. But it's also possible that the Goa'uld simply used their Unas hosts to slowly experiment with and work toward developing more advanced tools and, in doing so, slowly developed into a civilization capable of understanding Ancient technology all on their own.
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 11 November 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

All modern species we know of, humans, Goa'uld, Unas, Hebridians, etc. were all the result of the Ancients firing off the Dakara device to reseed the galaxy after using it to wipe out all previous life to get rid of the plague. Therefore, the Ancients could not take the Goa'uld to Pegasus, nor could they otherwise bring them at a later date (they only encounter the Goa'uld after their return to Earth, which could be a cool story arc to explore).

The movie established that Ra came to Earth 10,000 years ago (8,000 BC) and the series followed that. However, the Goa'uld Empire was already well established for thousands of years, having been at war with the Asgard for at least a few dozen centuries or so. They acquired all their technology by stealing it from the Ancients and perhaps even Asgard.

Though not confirmed in canon, it's a popular fanon theory that Ra took an Asgard as a host (to explain away his appearance in the film) but they were not compatible, so Ra was dying. He then searched the galaxy for many many years until he "stumbled" upon Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        The device on Dakara was said to have recreated life in the galaxy following the plague, so while that does seem to suggest it was used on a galaxy-wide level, characters repeatedly stated that they never found evidence of humans evolving on a Milky Way planet other than Earth. So there's nothing to suggest that the device on Dakara was used to create human life on any planet other than Earth.
                        My own personal fanwank belief is that the Ancients deliberately reseeded Earth with their own DNA via the Dakara device, hence our being their descendants/"second evolution of this form."

Comment

My take on this is that the members of the air-force are treated the same as the real ones. Then I would imagine that any alien crew members are treated the same as a civilian employee. They are entitled to days off due to personal or sick reasons. They also get paid and are given a place to live on the base.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X