Question about Wireless Internet Connection Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Wireless Internet Connection Problem

On Monday, my Mom's Windows 7 PC had an update come up on the screen for her Netgear USB Wireless Adapter (A6100) and she told me about it. I looked at it and decided to do the update but after the update was done, I don't know if it finished or not, the wireless on her PC stopped working. The areas of the Windows 7 and the Netgear Genie where it lists networks/routers to connect to had the Netgear router in the list but it wouldn't connect, so very soon after we followed the Netgear Genie's steps to get it connected. It just ended up timing out when the progress bar in the Genie got to the end. At this point the wireless on the Ipad was still working. After few minutes or so, we tried the steps in The Netgear router's (AC1750 Wi-Fi Model C6300) quick start guide. At some point while we were we trying this, I kept the button, with this (( picture of lock symbol)), pressed for just a minute or 2 to see if that would make a different but it didn't. Now after we did this, the wireless on the Ipad was not working and the areas of the Windows 7 and the Netgear Genie where it lists networks/routers to connect to no longer had the Netgear router in the list. I should note at some point I did do a system restore to just before the update was done but that didn't help. Another thing I should mention is that in the Manage Wireless Adapters, I see the Netgear profile of sorts for the Netgear router (AC1750 Wi-Fi Model C6300) listed there. What can I can do to get this fixed?

Information:
    Netgear USB Wireless Adapter (A6100)
    Netgear router (AC1750 Wi-Fi Model C6300) - handles both Cable, which is working fine and Wireless, which is not working fine.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Not sure if by "Wi-Fi not working" you meant you can access it but don't have connectivity.

If all of your devices cannot see the network at all, it is probably a hardware issue and the only workaround would be to plug an Ethernet cable directly to your PC.

Try these steps:

Open up command prompt on your main PC by typing *CMD* in the start menu search bar + enter, it looks like a black box. (Easy fix)

Type (without the **):

*/ipconfig release*
    Wait for it
    */ipconfig renew*

It should work almost instantly, if it doesn't try this:

Cut the the internet connection by pulling the Ethernet cable behind your router. It should look like a distinct wire, coming out of a wall outlet.

Power off the router (just pull the power plug)
    Delete the profile in your wireless setting on your PC
    Reboot computer
    Replug the internet cable to the router
    Power the router back on
    Wait 2 minutes
    Setup a new router profile in wireless adapters, you can use the wizard if you like
    Might need a final reboot

Short of that, if you know your way around router settings and IP addresses you can try troubleshooting it, but if you don't, it's only gonna make things worse.

If that doesn't work my friend my last advice is to reformat the computer completely. System restore doesn't really work well on Win 7 and judging by your story troubleshooting this mess is going to be a challenge not to mention impossible for anybody at a distance.

I would recommend to pick a stable version of Win7 and disable auto updates, never update a perfectly working system unless compelled to.

Hope that helps!
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I can access the internet fine with the cable as well as any other pc's connected to the cable but those on the wireless can not and my Mom's pc can only be on the wireless so the Ethernet connecting not an option.

The update was not one for Windows but for the Netgear USB Wireless Adapter (A6100) itself. I will try the Command prompt stuff and see if that works.

Do keep the suggestions coming while I'm trying the suggestions mentioned.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks for helping Chaka-Z0.

I managed to get it working again by doing this: logging into the Netgear router settings, going to wireless and checking the settings. In the settings there were 2 options that said something about wireless and radio so I checked it for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, and clicked apply. I checked my Mom's PC and then the Ipad and everything worked. I guess those two options got turned off some how.

Is there anyway I can stop the Netgear Genie for the Netgear USB Wireless Adapter (A6100) on my Mom's PC from auto checking for updates so no updates pop up?

Comment

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How...irmware-update

Just found this, I have no knowledge of these US companies but I think that link can help you out.

Oh and glad you fixed it, nice job!
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
          X