Fallout 76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    So, FORCING you to do stuff = Roleplaying, giving you the chance to ACTUALLY roleplay with other people is stripping out roleplaying?
    Huh??
    You don't write, do you?

I used to.

Roleplaying is only possible within the confines of a story. MMOs have no story, they only have a setting, which is why MMOs do not generate true roleplaying.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I always thought the term RPG was more of a genre type than actually meaning the literal form of role-playing?
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
        You don't write, do you?

I used to.

Roleplaying is only possible within the confines of a story. MMOs have no story, they only have a setting, which is why MMOs do not generate true roleplaying.
        Have you ever played a TTRPG?

Oh, and Yes, I used to write a lot.
        Last edited by Gatefan1976; 31 October 2018, 07:58 PM.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          I always thought the term RPG was more of a genre type than actually meaning the literal form of role-playing?
          It can be used in that way, but it's like lumping all forms of music under the umbrella heading of "music", and drawing no further distinction. What is actually chaffing me here is it's not the lumping under one blanket term, but "good" music is the only form of music, and "good" is very subjective. Linear progression games can be good, they can be fantastic in fact, but they lack the freeform element of a TTRPG.
          For example, I love pre-designed modules for TTRPG's but because they are inherently PRE-Designed, you are forced to follow a linear path. Even though a good GM can create the illusion of more free will than may actually exist, but it really is no more than an illusion which is what Computer based RPG's provide, that illusion.
          A freeform RPG, where you truly have choice and agency however cannot be done by a static system because it is either non adaptive, or will cause the linear progression of the story to fall apart.
          If you want a great example of this, watch the TNG episode "Elementary, my dear Data"
          sigpic

Comment

Can we get back to the game now?
            sigpic

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I've only played the Skyrim installment of Bethesda's games so I can't really be a reference. I love the style of the game, but the medieval / fantastic theme is the only one I would play, I have more than enough of post-apoc games right now.

I always end up deviating from the main story and just doing a bunch of secondary quests, ultimately never finishing up the game. I guess 76 is the lucky year for you
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I've only played the Skyrim installment of Bethesda's games so I can't really be a reference. I love the style of the game, but the medieval / fantastic theme is the only one I would play, I have more than enough of post-apoc games right now.

I always end up deviating from the main story and just doing a bunch of secondary quests, ultimately never finishing up the game. I guess 76 is the lucky year for you
                You should try FO 3 or FO: New Vegas. NV is really, really good if you like the open world environment but want to play solo in a non "scrap" driven 3D game.
                If you can handle a "top down" game, FO 1 and 2 are great as well.
                sigpic

Comment

You should try FO 3 or FO: New Vegas. NV is really, really good if you like the open world environment but want to play solo in a non "scrap" driven 3D game.
                  If you can handle a "top down" game, FO 1 and 2 are great as well.
                  I might of, but I don't own a console and I find these kind of games are best played on console. Just like Diablo 3, I hated Blizzard with a passion this game and how they messed it up, but it's actually quite enjoyable on Xbox.

And while I'm at it... why the f*** are we getting a freaking Diablo MOBILE game! This is an outrage!!

There is no such thing as a mobile gamer.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

I might of, but I don't own a console and I find these kind of games are best played on console. Just like Diablo 3, I hated Blizzard with a passion this game and how they messed it up, but it's actually quite enjoyable on Xbox.
                    Well, that's a can of worms
                    I played Diablo 1-3 on PC's because I -personally- find them better on PC.
                    FPS shooter style games however (like FO3-4 and NV) I prefer on console simply because I am far more used to the controller setup. Some games however such as WoW or SW:TOR would suffer a lot on a console simply because you -need- more buttons, and while I did not "suck" at them, my reflexes are not good enough for such a twitchy system as mouse control with keyboard add on.
                    That however is MY limitation, not the games.
                    And while I'm at it... why the f*** are we getting a freaking Diablo MOBILE game! This is an outrage!!

There is no such thing as a mobile gamer.
                    There are a couple of million (or perhaps 10's of millions) people who would disagree.
                    Mobile games such as candy crush, tetris etc are inherently designed around the "10 minute's on the bus" paradigm.
                    Me, I would prefer to read, but for many, it's just a fun fill in for what is considered "dead time"
                    sigpic

Comment

Mobile games such as candy crush, tetris etc are inherently designed around the "10 minutes on the bus can" paradigm.
                      Fixed that for you
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Hey all...just stopped in and don't have time to read back. I haven't played 76 yet, but my son was on the Beta. He liked it ok, but he actually asked for his money back on the game when it went live because he thought it was boring. We aren't a big fan of this going to an online only format and we're afraid that due to the Fortnite craze many of the solo/single player campaign style of gaming will fall by the wayside. I will be really disappointed if that happens.

I'm actually playing Red Dead Redemption II now....is there a thread for that? And is anyone here playing that? I'm finding that game is downright amazing! Loving it!
                        Originally posted by jelgate
                        This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                          Hey all...just stopped in and don't have time to read back. I haven't played 76 yet, but my son was on the Beta. He liked it ok, but he actually asked for his money back on the game when it went live because he thought it was boring. We aren't a big fan of this going to an online only format and we're afraid that due to the Fortnite craze many of the solo/single player campaign style of gaming will fall by the wayside. I will be really disappointed if that happens.
                          '76 is designed to be online, so quite frankly, it's not gonna be for everyone. I would not however expect FO5, Starfield or ES6 to be anything more than Open world single player games. KOTOR 1 and 2 are in the same universe as SW:TOR, but I don't expect fans of KOTOR to be huge fans of SW:TOR if the single player experience is what you were looking for, and that's cool.
                          I'm actually playing Red Dead Redemption II now....is there a thread for that? And is anyone here playing that? I'm finding that game is downright amazing! Loving it!
                          Make one!!
                          RDR is simply not my kind of game because I am not a big FPS fan (I only like Fallout because of the story), but everything I have seen, read and heard about it is pretty damn positive. It's also getting a multiplayer patch soon as well (multiplayer, not MMO) so you can play with your kids as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

I bought it but haven't started yet - it will be my FIRST MMO! Wish me luck!
                            sigpic
                            signature art by lunasera

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
                              I bought it but haven't started yet - it will be my FIRST MMO! Wish me luck!
                              If you are looking for community help, drop me a PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X