Fallout 76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallout 76

Anyone here looking at playing this game?
    If so, what platform are you going to use?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Still playing New Vegas and refusing to move on to Bethesda's newer travesties.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

NV was really good, but it's not BGS, it's black isle.
      sigpic

Comment

will the world be once again split into micro-maps with a loading screen every few hundred yards & every time player enters or leaves a building??

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          will the world be once again split into micro-maps with a loading screen every few hundred yards & every time player enters or leaves a building??
          Not that I have seen. Loading maps if you fast travel, or go into separate area's like elevators) but they respond a lot faster than say FO 4
          sigpic

Comment

Honestly I haven't played a Fallout game since 3, and the multiplayer-driven nature of this one means I have no interest in returning.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wait. Is this an MMO?
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                Wait. Is this an MMO?
                sorta...………..
                There is a limited no of people per server (20-30) but it is online only.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  NV was really good, but it's not BGS, it's black isle.
                  Black Isle, a division of Interplay, was the maker of the original two Fallout games. They produced some other awesome stuff too, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and former Black Isle folks made the fantastic (and undeservedly forgotten) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura.

But Interplay shut down Black Isle in 2003. They released one post-Black Isle Fallout game, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, which was lousy. That was it.

FNV was made by Obsidian Entertainment,a company set up by former Black Isle employees, including some of the original Fallout makers. Which is why FNV writing was so much better than Fallout 3 or 4. Bethesda morons snubbed Obsidian by denying them their bonus because FNV only earned a score of 84 in reviews, one whole point less than required so Obsidian nearly went bust right after doing the best Fallout game of the decade. So I'm no fan of Bethesda.

Fallout MMO is really a weird concept anyhow. I don't see it ending well.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    Black Isle, a division of Interplay, was the maker of the original two Fallout games. They produced some other awesome stuff too, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and former Black Isle folks made the fantastic (and undeservedly forgotten) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura.

But Interplay shut down Black Isle in 2003. They released one post-Black Isle Fallout game, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, which was lousy. That was it.

FNV was made by Obsidian Entertainment,a company set up by former Black Isle employees, including some of the original Fallout makers. Which is why FNV writing was so much better than Fallout 3 or 4. Bethesda morons snubbed Obsidian by denying them their bonus because FNV only earned a score of 84 in reviews, one whole point less than required so Obsidian nearly went bust right after doing the best Fallout game of the decade. So I'm no fan of Bethesda.
                    I'm not a fan of BSG, I am a fan of the fallout universe.
                    Fallout MMO is really a weird concept anyhow. I don't see it ending well.
                    Why is it weird?
                    To me, the only weird thing is people craping on the concept because of lack of RPG elements, and to them I would say, if you need a 4-5 option box to "roleplay", all you really want is a choose your own adventure book and have no clue what roleplaying actually is.
                    I love single player games, but no single player game is a roleplaying game because roleplaying is by it's very nature socially interactive.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of BSG, I am a fan of the fallout universe.

Why is it weird?
                      I don't know, they kind of have a precedent with The Elder Scrolls online which to me, wasn't really any good. We should wait and see though.

EDIT: the major issue I have with MMO is that they always end up pay-to-win
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        I don't know, they kind of have a precedent with The Elder Scrolls online which to me, wasn't really any good. We should wait and see though.
                        I skipped ESO simply because ES is only somewhat interesting to me. I went straight from morrowind to the latest one in skyrym.
                        EDIT: the major issue I have with MMO is that they always end up pay-to-win
                        I never had to pay to win with WoW of SW:TOR. Pay to win is bad, and if 76 goes down the loot crate path, I'll ditch it in a heartbeat.
                        sigpic

Comment

I skipped ESO simply because ES is only somewhat interesting to me. I went straight from morrowind to the latest one in skyrym.

I never had to pay to win with WoW of SW:TOR. Pay to win is bad, and if 76 goes down the loot crate path, I'll ditch it in a heartbeat.
                          True, I played the first installment of WoW and sold my account after a year on Ebay (back when it was legal). I actually made about one thousand bucks (CAD) out of it. But WoW wasn't pay to win, it was lose your life to win. I don't know how many nights I spent raiding with 39ish people that were literal dicks and skipping one night meant you're out of the raiding club. I sure as hell don't miss it.

As for loot crates, I think they won't last for long, some countries (in Europe I think?) have banned it because they consider it as gambling. To be honest, I might give it a try, but the game I am really looking for is Mount & Blade Bannerlord, but that's off topic.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Why is it weird?
                            To me, the only weird thing is people craping on the concept because of lack of RPG elements, and to them I would say, if you need a 4-5 option box to "roleplay", all you really want is a choose your own adventure book and have no clue what roleplaying actually is.
                            I love single player games, but no single player game is a roleplaying game because roleplaying is by it's very nature socially interactive.
                            Then NONE of the Fallout games are roleplaying games in your definition (which is problematic as I'll soon explain), and you're still trying to drag Fallout out of its genre.

Fallout was pretty much the definition of PvE. As in player vs. environment. It was about exploration of the world - and of the narrative. Fallout 1, 2, FNV are all story-centric and their fans are about story and lore. My problem with Bethesda's take on Fallout is that they downgrade the narrative in favor of the sheer size of sandbox and oddball mechanics like settlement building. The end result is that their story sucks. There is no narrative urgency to much of anything that you do in Fallout 3 or 4.

Turning Fallout into an MMO guts it of its RPG essence - because an MMO by nature cannot sustain roleplaying. MMOs are not RPGs in the sense of people "getting into character" and living in the game's world the way it happens in live roleplays - because live roleplays are held by people actually interested in roleplaying, staying in character, creating and sustaining a believable illusion. The MMO interaction with other players is invariably out-of-character. Metagaming, loot trading, griefing, PvP fights - name me an MMO where people actually roleplay in any real sense of the world. All those ever-so-limiting traits of traditional Fallout games - strict single-player, dialogue trees, story-driven game narrative, quest-driven progression - they are the ones who get you into character. They corral you into roleplaying.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                              Then NONE of the Fallout games are roleplaying games in your definition (which is problematic as I'll soon explain), and you're still trying to drag Fallout out of its genre.
                              Correct, nor were any of the old D&D based games.
                              That does not make them bad in the slightest. I loved the Dragonlance ones, the Original FO's, Balders gate, Bards tale etc etc.
                              They are not "roleplaying".
                              Fallout was pretty much the definition of PvE. As in player vs. environment. It was about exploration of the world - and of the narrative. Fallout 1, 2, FNV are all story-centric and their fans are about story and lore. My problem with Bethesda's take on Fallout is that they downgrade the narrative in favor of the sheer size of sandbox and oddball mechanics like settlement building. The end result is that their story sucks. There is no narrative urgency to much of anything that you do in Fallout 3 or 4.
                              Yes PvE, exactly correct. Why does that suddenly make it a roleplaying game?
                              Turning Fallout into an MMO guts it of its RPG essence - because an MMO by nature cannot sustain roleplaying. MMOs are not RPGs in the sense of people "getting into character" and living in the game's world the way it happens in live roleplays - because live roleplays are held by people actually interested in roleplaying, staying in character, creating and sustaining a believable illusion. The MMO interaction with other players is invariably out-of-character. Metagaming, loot trading, griefing, PvP fights - name me an MMO where people actually roleplay in any real sense of the world. All those ever-so-limiting traits of traditional Fallout games - strict single-player, dialogue trees, story-driven game narrative, quest-driven progression - they are the ones who get you into character. They corral you into roleplaying.
                              So, FORCING you to do stuff = Roleplaying, giving you the chance to ACTUALLY roleplay with other people is stripping out roleplaying?
                              Huh??
                              This thinking is why D&D 4.0 failed so badly.
                              If you have no interest in a MMO FO, that's cool Womble. If FO4 was not your thing either, that's cool as well. Me, I loved FO 1,2,3,NV and 4, and I'm exited to be able to play FO with fellow wasteland wanderers. It's different, sure. I have seen enough BETA streams to know that, but I don't think that is bad.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X