Default Star Trek: Lower Decks -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Star Trek animated comedy series ordered from Rick and Morty writer

The first-ever official Star Trek comedy series has been ordered.

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim’s sensation Rick and Morty. The half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing “on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.”

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,'” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “[McMahan’s] cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

Added McMahan: “As a life-long Trekkie, it’s a surreal and wonderful dream come true to be a part of this new era of Star Trek. While Star Trek: Lower Decks is a half-hour, animated show at its core, it’s undeniably Trek — and I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program.”

Fans will recognize the Lower Decks title as referencing the name of one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 2011, McMahan started a Twitter account posting fake TNG plots, then scored a book deal to turn his tweets into Star Trek: The Next Generation: Warped: An Engaging Guide to the Never-Aired 8th Season.

The new project will bring to mind Fox’s The Orville, a dramedy from Family Guy‘s Seth MacFarlane which is clearly inspired by Trek.

And previously, there was a much-loved Star Trek: The Animated Series which expanded on The Original Series episodes and ran from 1973-74 (but was not a comedy).

The new show is the latest Trek project by the CBS All Access streaming service, which also has Star Trek: Discovery, which returns for its second season in January, and a new show with Patrick Stewart reprising his TNG character Jean-Luc Picard in the works.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Default Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Ok at first I thought this was a bit of a mistake, but then I thought about it and it's not like this would be canon and honestly I get a huge kick out of the Family Guy and American Dad skits they do on trek. Same with the Futurama Star Trek episode, so this might be a lot of fun. I would say it'd be better to do maybe an original IP but then I guess people would just accuse CBS of copying Orville.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

I want this to be in the 24th century
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I hope this turns out well...it has a lot of potential!

Also, it seems this has already been given a two season order, so that's a promising start.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I hope this turns out well...it has a lot of potential!

Also, it seems this has already been given a two season order, so that's a promising start.
    Well, that's only fair, it seems to take any Trek show a year to find its way.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

I don't know if you talked about it here, but the CBS All Access has protected these titles in August :

Star Trek: Revolution
    Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
    Star Trek: Destiny
    Star Trek: Reliant
    Star Trek: Ceti Alpha V

So maybe any of these will be developed into a tv show in the near future after the Discovery and the Lower decks and untitled Picard one.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Im a little concerned they are going to oversaturate the market
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

One of them must be the Picard one.

I don't mind as long as they can provide such quality like Discovery. Probably they would like to cover more weeks, so they want to make worth of CBS All-Access. Or the Netflix deal could also move things forward so nicely. Khmmm... MGM should learn these steps. Imagine if there would 1-2-3 new SG spin-offs in development. All the fandom would make happy dance here. Wait a second, I have just waken up back to the sad reality.

But anyway... We will get Lost in space season 2, new Witcher series, new Diablo animated series, new Star Trek : Discovery season 2, American gods season 2 and Altered Carbon season 2 are being shot or in development, then the last season of Game of Thrones (then the GoT : The Long Night spinoff), the new Star Wars live action series (The Mandalorian) and later the new Lord of the Rings series (where Amazon wants to invest a horrible amount of money for five seasons). So scifi and fantasy fans will be really pleased in 2019-2020.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633